Adding an Extra Layer of D30 Protective Padding

3 hours ago, Planemo said:

Hi Lutalo, yep very much sounds like it. A sudden jar is often the culprit. The only good news is that my Dr did say that they always eventually heal and go back to full movement (unlike say a ligament injury), it's just the time required. He also said that the injury is far more common - by something like 50% if I remember - in diabetics (which I'm not).

Cool. I am encouraged. Been avoiding heavy benching and shoulder presses for about a year now, and had to stop training capoeira because it's just too painful on the wrist and shoulder; wrist and shoulder injury on the same side. Wrist injury resulted from an EUC faceplant.

Really getting tired of impairments. But that's what warriors do; carry the battlescars of broken limitations :D👍

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Smoother said:

You know.  I looked up getting older and being extra careful. It was the darndest thing.  It said middle aged men who want to be extra careful should learn to ride an electric unicycle.  Seriously! I am not making this up. ok.  It's 100% false

Damn.  Lets see, TWO helicopter crashes, THREE damaged shoulders, and probably a shipload more you haven't told us about.  You should change your screen name to Calamity Dan :(

If we ever meet, I'll remember not to stand to close in case you/we get hit by lightning, on a clear blue day.

How the f..k do you fall off a porch?  I'm pssing myself laughing at the image in my head.:roflmao: something like this comes to mind

@Rehab1 was born in the CyberDyne labs; a Terminator. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Smoother said:

How the f..k do you fall off a porch?  I'm pssing myself laughing at the image in my head.:roflmao: something like this comes to mind

I slipped on ice. I’m pssing myself thinking of you pssing yourself.:facepalm:

46204706035_1ebb59c8f5_b.jpg

• Like 1

Well, welcome to the pissy party.:roflmao:.  I'm going to try and forget the whole image of your image of my image of your porch incident(is that in the right order?).  I'm off to bed to try and ignore my "pop up" tinnitus.  Maybe tomorrow it will have popped off.

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lutalo said:

Really getting tired of impairments. But that's what warriors do; carry the battlescars of broken limitations :D👍

That’s what we need....a scar competition just like in the movie Jaws. 

32176596507_d91b8df129_b.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2019 at 6:48 PM, Lutalo said:

Pretend like you injured yourself doing something for her :D👍.

That is wprst possible idea I seen. 🙄 Any man that have a wife knows she wiil know 2 weeks in advance before you pull out a white lie. It will never work.

@Rehab1 this is the sadest newst I had this year. I hope it is nothing major, and your wife blame the weather, not your EUCs.

Note: I didn't read all posts here, so sorry if I missed an update.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Unventor said:

That is wprst possible idea I seen. 🙄 Any man that have a wife knows she wiil know 2 weeks in advance before you pull out a white lie. It will never work.

@Rehab1 this is the sadest newst I had this year. I hope it is nothing major, and your wife blame the weather, not your EUCs.

Note: I didn't read all posts here, so sorry if I missed an update.

I’ll be fine. It’s like practicing lamaze. One shoulder’s discomfort distracts from the other. I never mentioned the latest injury to my surgeon last week. I work closely with other orthopedists in my community and wasn’t looking forward to another smack down from my peers. :(

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

Every married man eventually learns that women like little white lies; 29 years with the same chick and counting :efee8319ab:👍

You married as a 5 year old?😏

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Unventor said:

You married as a 5 year old?😏

What a nice compliment. I'm blushing. I am Afraid that I am older than I apparently look to others. :) It's actually 23 years marriage. We shacked-up for six years first. 

Edited by Lutalo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lutalo said:

What a nice compliment. I'm blushing. I am Afraid that I am older than I apparently look to others. :) It's actually 23 years marriage. We shacked-up for six years first. 

18 years and counting here, seems I still have some catching up to do.

• Like 2

On 2/16/2019 at 5:42 PM, Rehab1 said:

I’m surprised as well. The frozen ground was harder than I thought. Thanks! 

It just hurts when I extend my arm in front of me. I thought it would pass. I have an appointment anyway so I’ll just have the surgeon take a look. I’ll just tell him I slipped on some ice. 

The additional D30 pads are not overwhelming and don’t restrict any motion. The ease of slipping on the coat remains the same.

Actually if I would do it I would replace the old pads with D3O and add a softer foam layer closest to your joint in it's place. That way you'll use the D3O to distribute the impact over a larger area and the foam to create a softer cushion, since even D3O gets mighty hard when you have an impact. Unless you go down at ridiculous speeds, the level-1 protection from D3O should be plenty, what is missing is something to dampen the energy transfer. The energy distribution properties of D3O is awesome, even at level-1.

Just an alternative idea that I think have a greater chance of saving your elbows and shoulders from abuse, I might be wrong.

My ideal protection, that I haven't found yet is an external gliding pad and internal D3O backed with a cushion. I've actually seriously thought about how to add a gliding strip to my jacket without making it look like some tacky DIY-job, and cut a bit of neoprene or somesuch to soften the inside of the padding. But I've refrained from it so far. The very strong leather backing on the outside is MC-style and probably holds up to a lot of abuse, and so far I ride with a thick sweater on, that acts like an extra cushion - if not as good as foam.

And frozen ground is one damn unforgiving surface to land on. I smashed my right elbow into the ground when downhill skiing a couple of months ago, that hurt like h*ll. Took a full month before I could lean on the elbow without discomfort. Next year, I will wear pads under the jacket. We're not getting any younger, and can't shake off stuff like we could a few decades ago.

Also, do some weight training for your shoulders, if you're not already doing it. Extra power in shoulders and pecs make a huge difference.

Lastly, what is it about you and falls. Can you not end that ridiculous relationship you have with the demon Murphy?

Edited by Scatcat
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Lutalo said:

It's actually 23 years marriage.

3 hours ago, Scatcat said:

18 years and counting here, seems I still have some catching up to do.

You both have some catching up to do.:cheers:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scatcat said:

.Also, do some weight training for your shoulders, if you're not already doing it. Extra power in shoulders and pecs make a huge difference.

I do work out daily but unfortunately my fx shoulder will never be the same. Thankfully I get my daily dose of reality while working with children that have life challenging disabilities. I feel blessed. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 2/16/2019 at 5:54 PM, Smoother said:

Well you'll just have to postpone your regular Monday evening meetings for a while::D

maxresdefault.jpg

Hmmm Blues Brothers right?

On 3/1/2019 at 6:38 PM, Scatcat said:

Lastly, what is it about you and falls. Can you not end that ridiculous relationship you have with the demon Murphy?

Watch out for Duffy. His law is "Murphy was an optimist."

• 11 months later...
On 2/16/2019 at 8:28 AM, Rehab1 said:

I have decided to add another layer of protection to my XElement CF380 jacket. I was able piggy back the existing protective padding with Icon D30 shoulder and elbow pads. 

47059667862_3c240e4912_b.jpg47059672122_4e6a5d3d67_b.jpg32169967127_4e07c3e02d_b.jpg32169967537_2dceba7f99_b.jpg

How do you like the XElement CF380 jacket now that some time went ? Would you recommend this or something else?

Driving motorcycle I've been looking at Joe Rocket gear.

On 4/17/2018 at 9:15 PM, Rehab1 said:

I definitely give the Bell Super my seal of approval!  I only suffered a small cut above my eye after the helmet impacted the solid asphalt bike trail. The helmet’s chin guard took the brunt of the impact and then the residual forces were absorbed throughout the rest of the helmet.  I believe it saved my life as my brain would not have accepted that magnitude of concussion. My wife thinks the helmet rattled my brain even more. :)

Do you still like the Bell Super 3R as a reasonable helmet choice?

bell-super-3r-mips-mountain-bike-helmet-

Edited by WI_Hedgehog
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WI_Hedgehog said:

How do you like the XElement CF380 jacket? Would you recommend this or something else?

It’s a comfortable jacket that I traditionally wear during the majority of my rides. Right now it’s just gathering dust. :crying:

The addition of the D30 pads did increase my level of mental comfort  but only a full blown tumble at high speed would determine if my ramped up armor actually works.  I really don’t care to entertain that scenario. :facepalm:

I’m thrilled your researching every avenue of protective gear!:thumbup: 

Edit: Sorry...I missed the question about the Bell Super 3R. I can’t say enough about the superb quality of protection it provided me 2 years ago. My head had a direct, high speed impact with the asphalt that day. The Bell saved my life!

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 3

On 4/1/2020 at 2:56 AM, Rehab1 said:

It’s a comfortable jacket that I traditionally wear during the majority of my rides. Right now it’s just gathering dust. :crying:

The addition of the D30 pads did increase my level of mental comfort  but only a full blown tumble at high speed would determine if my ramped up armor actually works.  I really don’t care to entertain that scenario. :facepalm:

I’m thrilled your researching every avenue of protective gear!:thumbup: 

Edit: Sorry...I missed the question about the Bell Super 3R. I can’t say enough about the superb quality of protection it provided me 2 years ago. My head had a direct, high speed impact with the asphalt that day. The Bell saved my life!

I hope you replaced it afterwards. But I'm sure you did, as you're one of the most security conscious ppl here after your bad fall.

I would personally like to see a jacket coming out on the market with combo protection. D3O closest to the elbows and shoulders and segmented hard plastic on the outside of the elbows and upper forearms to glide on. Even better if there was a TPU-layer beneath the hard plastic to cushion the impact to avoid the force traveling up to the shoulder if you fall with your elbow at a right angle to the ground.

The Basehawk jacket I use it pretty good, but it is still very much made for the kind of fall geometry you get when you fall from two wheels rather than from a unicycle.

• 5 months later...
On 4/2/2020 at 5:06 AM, Scatcat said:

I would personally like to see a jacket coming out on the market with combo protection. D3O closest to the elbows and shoulders and segmented hard plastic on the outside of the elbows and upper forearms to glide on. Even better if there was a TPU-layer beneath the hard plastic to cushion the impact to avoid the force traveling up to the shoulder if you fall with your elbow at a right angle to the ground.

Found this thread after seeing Rehab's shoulder thread, was trying to find what he ended up going with. Anyone know if there is anything like this (described above) out there yet? Sounds like a good idea...especially after seeing so many crash/cutout posts :(

3 hours ago, manieuc said:

Found this thread after seeing Rehab's shoulder thread, was trying to find what he ended up going with. Anyone know if there is anything like this (described above) out there yet? Sounds like a good idea...especially after seeing so many crash/cutout posts :(

I think that basically describes a track suit/jacket. Most of the higher end one consist of D3O or similar proprietary material at mentioned locations, TPU/nylon/metal shell/slider. My 10 year old track jacket has most of those features. But I don't wear that while riding a wheel as it's simply to cumbersome for the condition I am riding.

• Like 2