First ECU? Best beginner wheel?

Anthrazit

Hi everybody!

I'm new to this forum, but from spending a couple of hours reading different posts, it seems like a very devoted one. Awesome!

I am looking for my first ECU. I have previous experience driving Segway PT a couple of times with great success and enjoyment (pretty fast learning curve for that one). For a long time I have been interested in ECUs, and now that it has been allowed in Denmark, I really want to try it out.

Here are some information that hopefully can help you provide me with some of your helpful advice:

About me:

• Height: 180 cm
  • Weight: 100 kg

About my future ECU:

• Best value for the buck
  • Able to carry my high weight
  • Will mainly be used for commuting to work (1,2 km) and to the gym (2,5 km), but also around town
  • Hopefully I get so excited about riding that I will go on longer trips, so some range would be great
  • Either cheap to be intended for a starter wheel (should be able to sell for a decent price afterwards) OR have the potential to be a riding wheel for many kilometers
  • Preferably possible to buy it in Europe
  • Anything I have forgotten to mention?

One thing I can't figure out is e.g. if I should just purchase e.g. a Ninebot One S2 (669€), use it as a starter wheel and be OK with it getting scratches - and then sell it for a decent price (at some point when/if I want to get a more expensive/feature packed wheel) - or if I should go all the way and get a wheel I might keep longer (but which also can become scratched from my initial learning curve).

I have read many topics in here (especially recommendations for first wheels), but I am still super confused on what would be the best choice for me. I hope you can help.

All inputs are highly appreciated. Huge thanks in advance!

An S2 requires great skill to ride and they are underpowered for your 100kg. Personally, I often ride mine but it is more of an advanced wheel due to its difficulty.

S1/S2 sold for $300 in the USA; I bought two of them.

I think a do it all wheel at a modest price is the KS16S, which however has only a modest 840 wh battery, but a much better wheel at a much higher price is the Kingsong18xl. If you can afford it get the XL; otherwise the KS16S.

I have no experience of powerful wheels, I own a ninebot c+ moded to e+, but I can relate to your post, I was there 6 months ago. 

I now have 850 khm on it, I am riding through traffic, up/down pavements and all that, but I am kind of happy I cannot go over 25kmh. I still cannot balance easily on one foot, no real reverce skills,  not perfect step on/off with both feet, no real jumping ability, there is still more to learn, and I am a fast learner.

I think it takes a lot of time to learn, lets say like a bicycle. We did manage to ride a bike in days as kids, but took months to get good at it, years even. My choice was the ninebot c+ due to the price, 250euros delivered to Europe from gearbest, a1 is about 320euros. There were many times where I wanted more power, but on the other hand I am glad I don't have it, I makes me ride slow, safe, and I learn with no real danger involved.

I am sure more powerful wheels are even more fun, but an s2/e+ and he like are perfect for the newcomers that don't need long distance ability. I have had an excellent time riding my ninebot one, I even made it a small tribute video, they are no toys, they are joy machines :)

I'm new to EUCs. I bought a heavily used IPS Zero that came pre-scratched. It only has a ten mile range but I got it for just $50.

I only weigh 180 but I often tote 20 lbs in my backpack. It's been perfect to learn on.

I'm certain I've added many scratches but I can't point them out. I couldn't imagine learning on a brand new wheel, so I highly recommend starting on a used one. When I'm ready to upgrade I'll sell this one, or keep it for friends. 

Go cheap 2nd hand 

Learn basics, forwards, turns, backwards use and abuse it

Get wrist guards 

Then buy a nice keeper wheel 

Well until yr a junkie and looking for yr next fix this wheel or that, finger hovering over the buy button for the latest and greatest

Dam I'm a junkie 

Hi my name is Gary and I'm an EUC jun

No I'm not ,yep Z10 is in the post 

LoL

@Anthrazit you will get many opinions on this topic. My opinion is to buy the wheel you want to be on eventually. It will save the cost of buying a lesser wheel, but you'll in return have to deal with the fact you will beat this wheel up learning on it. I bought a Z10 as my first wheel despite being told to get a "beginner wheel". It worked out great for me personally. Anything less than an 18 inch wheel seems way too sketchy for me at a weight 91kg.

I have decided that I want to purchase a good wheel the first time - and then wrap it up in protection for the initial learning.

My list of interested wheels are currently:

• Gotway Tesla
  • Gotway MSX
  • KingSong 18XL
  • Segway-Ninebot Z10

I believe the KingSong 16S could also be a choice, but due to my weight I would like a stronger battery/motor.

20 minutes ago, Anthrazit said:

It's in the end of the list. How about adding a bit more helpful content and advice to your post to a newbie? Thanks 😊

That was just a pointer, in case you missed this topic.

That a s1/2, e+ or similar would be a bit too weak was already written.

1 hour ago, Anthrazit said:

I believe the KingSong 16S could also be a choice, but due to my weight I would like a stronger battery/motor

I like my ks16s - having around 90kg its strong enough, but your other stronger wheels could be a better decission once you start to make longer trips.

1 hour ago, Anthrazit said:
  • Gotway Tesla
  • Gotway MSX
  • KingSong 18XL

Don't know them - just what's written around here.

Just

On 2/14/2019 at 8:03 PM, Anthrazit said:

For a long time I have been interested in ECUs, and now that it has been allowed in Denmark, I really want to try it out.

I'd assume that beeing allowed includes some limited maximum designed speed which all of your choices probably exceed?

I also weigh 100kg. I am a very aggressive rider. The KS16s has stronger pedals than the MSX and can hold the weight better. if you become an aggressive  rider the MSX is the most powerful. The KS18xl rides like a dream and is a great choice, The Z10  has problems you might not want to deal with.  i hope they work them out. 

my favorite is the MSX because of the power but the weak pedals aggravate me. I jump curbs and ride down steps, 

I think the KS18xl is the best all around wheel. 

i do not have a Tesla and could not lett you anything about it.

I have a 16s I weigh 82kg.  The only issue with it, is the smallish battery.  840Wh will do all you wrote about with ease, and give you loads of power for hills, etc, but IF you do start to go on Backe style all-day trips the 16s wont last the day.  Now, if you take along a charger or two, you could always stop at a friendly eatery, which will allow you to plug in.  With 2 chargers I can throw a big charge in there within 45 minutes, and not even approach the max recommended charging rate.  I run 2 factory chargers through a Charge Doctor, and I rarely need to charge for more than 90 minutes.  The 16s is smaller, and lighter than the others on your list, and has the best trolley (as well as the 18l/xl).

5 hours ago, Anthrazit said:

I have decided that I want to purchase a good wheel the first time - and then wrap it up in protection for the initial learning.

My list of interested wheels are currently:

• Gotway Tesla
  • Gotway MSX
  • KingSong 18XL
  • Segway-Ninebot Z10

I believe the KingSong 16S could also be a choice, but due to my weight I would like a stronger battery/motor.

They're all great. The 16S would work for you but a stronger wheel is never wrong, and it's getting a bit old (we expect a new KS 16 incher some time this year, probably towards the end). The Z10 might be a crapshoot, probably not a good idea to buy one unless you want this specific model.

The Gotway Nikola is upcoming, just so you know it exists.

Don't forget the Inmotion V10 and V10F! Reasonably fast, nice tire and riding comfort, easy to learn on because tall, has a trolley handle, and if you buy one from China they can be really cheap (like a V10 for 800€), check out the commercial advertisements forum for the details on that.

Thanks for your posts!

After watching tons of YouTube videos, it seems like the Tesla or the MSX would be a good choice for me. The KS18XL would be as well, but the price is much higher I believe.

The MSX is like 25% more expensive than the Tesla, but is more powerful and with larger tire. It's a tough choice. 😊

27 minutes ago, Anthrazit said:

The MSX is like 25% more expensive than the Tesla, but is more powerful and with larger tire.

And a 50% larger battery. 50% more range! Don't forget the most important part:efee8319ab:

Maybe we can help you more if you tell us how you think you'll use the wheel, what the idea of wheeling is in your mind, that kind of thing. But it's hard to go wrong with a 1600Wh MSX:efee8319ab: (unless you're looking for a small, light wheel).

The 18XL price might not be that much higher if you find the right seller.

Here it is for under 2150€ from a reputable seller: https://eunicycles.eu/en/18-inch-wheels/107-king-song-ks-18xl-rubber-black-1554wh.html

This is better than the MSX price on Speedyfeet (1950GBP = ~2200€): https://www.speedyfeet.co.uk/collections/electric-unicycle/products/msuper-x.

Not sure if there are lower official/listed Europe prices, but I only did a quick search. Unlisted/unofficial offers and (for the MSX) a China import are also an option (though getting a first expensive wheel from China might not be ideal).

In general, always get the wheel you really want, the one that just tells you "buy me", eat the price whatever it is (if you can), and it will be the best choice in the end. Be it the 18XL, MSX (that tire really is nice), or some other model.

14 hours ago, Anthrazit said:

How about adding a bit more helpful content and advice to your post to a newbie?

Btw: the link in my post was a very helpful content - just for your information, in case you did not get it.

Assuming that information is something that has to be given is a bit ahhh .. strange... nicely said.

But normally this is nothing to be discussed about here - if someobn asks a question, he gets answers from experienced members here. Just seldomly if details are missing it could happen, that no "answers happen" - but normally this details are asked for.

But if you feel that you are missing qualified answers its your turn to specify your question. 

14 hours ago, Anthrazit said:

Thanks 😊

You are welcome!

Thanks for all your inputs!

Unfortunately my responses has been a bit slow. Seems like I only have a restricted number of posts per day due to being a new member. Weird.

I have just purchased a Gotway MSX with mudguard and fast charger. I will tape some foam protection on it at first. Really looking forward to receive it!

Archived