V10F • What is your average and high speed?

LZMutant

Hi - 

A little curious about other rider's speed profiles and wondered if you could tell me about yours?

My high speed so far on the V10F is 17 MPH.   I average 8 to 10 MPH over the course of a ride depending on conditions; and my "terrain" is mostly flat and curvy bike paths in Los Angeles.  Some street riding, some commuting...etc.  No trails, very few hills...etc.  

In other words, I should be going a little faster shouldn't I?  I'm wondering about that...

I'd like to eventually go on group rides but I'm concerned I'd be a drag on the speed of the group.

Help me gain some insight here.  As a caveat, I fully "get" that we should enjoy riding at whatever speed we're comfortable.  I guess I'm wondering if my comfort zone is too cushy...

My speeds have gradually increased since I've gotten the V10F, just wondering at what point I could slide (and hopefully not careen) into a rider group.  (See Marty?  I want to prepare!)  :)

Thanks so much for the input and advice!
Larry

My high speed on my V10 is 24mph, average speed is about 18 mph.  Mind you, that's for my 9 km commute with very few 'obstacles' like crossing roads, red lights and such.

But don't stare at numbers.  If you're a beginner (which I assume you are),  just move on at speeds you're comfortable with.  I took my last fall at 500 kms,  so don't be too confident too soon -  falling at high speeds can be quite painful, with injuries which can last for weeks.  Just start cruising, speeding will come with experience. 

Speed should not be the purpose of these devices. If you push anything mechanical to its limits it will eventually fail. The irony of this comment is that when I obtained my first serious wheels I pushed them to the max. I then started to gain knowledge on how they actually function and took a step back. Respect the threshold for safe operation. I am old and cranky, sorry.

Speed will come naturally the more you ride.
Riding a EUC is self limiting. We ride within our comfort levels and our comfort levels expand as we become better riders.

Yesterday I went for a ride and tried to push my comfort level a bit harder. This lead to some quite uncomfortable situations where I was close to losing control a few times. Everything over 15mph feels like drama to me and I pushed to a bit over 20mph. This was during the late evening so it was dark and also wet outside because of recent snow that has melted. In the end it all worked out though and I finished the ride with quite a smile.

Ride. Push. Drama. Recover emotionally. Push.

The worst part for me though is turning at speed... especially when that speed is a new speed.

2 hours ago, gon2fast said:

I then started to gain knowledge on how they actually function and took a step back.

I would say it was step ahead.

Yeah man. All these gents' words are indeed of wisdom. I kinda went nuts and pushed it speed wise too early as well. I was used to my V5F's top speed of 15, when suddenly having twice that capability with the XL. I was ok hitting up to around 24 mph, but was scared to push it any faster. I then had a 45 mile ride where my legs were spent. At around 22 mph, I got to experience a death wobble. I'm still getting over that spill (at least psychologically 🙃). I have since gotten up to 28mph. But only once and just for a second under relaxed and perfectly paved conditions ... anything over about 23mph is pretty scary still.

You guys are great - and yeah, I think I qualify as a beginner almost intermediate rider.  Certainly no more than a green belt if you get the martial arts reference.

While I understand it's not a competition and this is purely for enjoyment and to avoid parking in Westwood or Santa Monica (Los Angeles people know what I mean), I don't want to become complacent as I build habits, nor do I want to set goals, per se.

Mostly I want to see what the "average" rider does and gradually slide into the pocket.  

Again, thanks so much for you wise input - believe me your advice is appreciated!

I think the sweet cruising spot is 16-18 mph for many. Depending on the capability of your wheel, forays into the lower to mid 20's will occur when terrain is good and the mind is "cool running". Some go slower and some go faster, but I suspect an average would lead to my above numbers. 

14 hours ago, Jerome said:

I think the sweet cruising spot is 16-18 mph for many. Depending on the capability of your wheel, forays into the lower to mid 20's will occur when terrain is good and the mind is "cool running". Some go slower and some go faster, but I suspect an average would lead to my above numbers. 

Today in LA was really windy.  I got out for a few miles but never seemed to get in a groove because I was being buffeted around a bit.  Still topped out at 18, with an average around 10.  That might have been wind influenced as one direction was really challenging.  

Hope to go out tomorrow (actually later today as I'm typing this after midnight) and hopefully the weather will be a little more cooperative.  That said, looks like next weekend will be a better ride in LA.

Thanks Jerome!  :)

Has anyone ever increased the maximum speed to 45km/h through the Darkness Bot App? Is it safe? 

On 2/17/2019 at 4:41 AM, ED209 said:

Has anyone ever increased the maximum speed to 45km/h through the Darkness Bot App? Is it safe? 

I was going to mention this a few days ago, as I had mine dialed up to 28mph, for a while. Not sure I'd recommend attempting to cruise at that speed, but a short burst every now and then shouldn't be an issue. My last pre-winter cruise, I pushed it to its peak a couple of times, and it seemed to handle it well. There again, I only spun it up for a couple of short bursts.
I haven't had the opportunity to pop the cycle open and check the diameter of the motor cabling, and/or the datasheet(s) for the mosfets. I can only hope that they ran at least 14ga to the windings.

On 2/17/2019 at 11:41 AM, ED209 said:

You can also increase the speed to 45km/h on Android with Wheellog. Is not often possible to go over 40km/h, depends on the conditions and rider level. I have reached top speed, but not for extensive time as it does not feel comfortable. 

Archived