[EcoDrift.ru] Ninebot Z10: A Diagnosis of Common Issues

houseofjob

On 9/25/2020 at 10:39 AM, Antoni Chujek said:

I have exactly the same problem with exactly the same symptoms. For me, there is a difference on cells 3 and 4 as in battery 1, as in your screenshots. Did you fix the problem? What was the reason? BMS? Battery cell damaged? Or maybe loose cables?

No, it hasn't been fixed, actually it has got worse and occurs more frequently than before. I have to constantly monitor the Ninebot app, from which I can see a bit ahead of time if there is a tilt-back coming. If you hear the warning beeps, that is already too late for preparing to the massive and quick tilt-back and I am usually falling off the wheel uncontrollably. I have no idea if the problem is in the cells or somewhere else, and not knowing that I wont be investing to a new battery at 800€. I will likely just buy a new wheel, which will probably be a V11.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2019 at 11:35 AM, RoberAce said:

8E7628AC-F178-46C7-8F38-1F0093F5AC70.jpeg

071EA966-B645-48BF-B832-78DB0A702A7A.jpeg

121BF82C-23A5-40BA-BA3A-4B1D407CC55C.jpeg

3225DB95-CE84-421F-B436-957741FC4695.jpeg

75C54C0C-7D1E-4F70-91DD-5763D8D37D22.jpeg

CAB55C55-E0E5-4BC7-B555-EEC162016270.jpeg

370EC321-313D-43DF-87DE-133073AA1CBA.jpeg

0F86F27A-1F1C-4FCF-B453-7ED9226A6371.jpeg

80EC2842-493A-40CD-A46E-F1CC74204577.jpeg

9055CFFA-AE29-423A-9B2C-EE08BD72CB32.jpeg

74DB905C-FD84-4D4F-9D34-E4BEE41EE904.jpeg

BFFAA519-A278-4B35-A2E5-5F4A6AC0DCF7.jpeg

39B83058-1015-4612-B345-5640BA82D0DF.jpeg

4F8FA98B-9416-4363-84D1-0F3419FF1B14.jpeg

AC7D5CBA-1FC1-42B9-9CAD-81E4ED4D1CBD.jpeg

I think my bearings have failed too and it’s causing a shake. They’re a little beat up by an accident and have ~3000km. The one bearing that fell out is clearly damaged. I already have the z10 disassembled. Do I tap the motor side of the axle out with its bearing?

Thanks for any help!

On 9/30/2020 at 12:29 PM, Ziiten said:

No, it hasn't been fixed, actually it has got worse and occurs more frequently than before. I have to constantly monitor the Ninebot app, from which I can see a bit ahead of time if there is a tilt-back coming. If you hear the warning beeps, that is already too late for preparing to the massive and quick tilt-back and I am usually falling off the wheel uncontrollably. I have no idea if the problem is in the cells or somewhere else, and not knowing that I wont be investing to a new battery at 800€. I will likely just buy a new wheel, which will probably be a V11.

Did You ever try Ninetool? I think there is a firmware flash, where the Ninebot BMS is ignored. But still the question remains wether Your battery is broken or it is just a BMS issue...

On 10/14/2020 at 3:39 PM, Boris Lämpel said:

Did You ever try Ninetool? I think there is a firmware flash, where the Ninebot BMS is ignored. But still the question remains wether Your battery is broken or it is just a BMS issue...

No I haven't. But is it a good idea to "ignore" the bms

Maybe... because there are some kown issues, where ninebots BMS is faulty and in reality the battery is ok. Do not know, how it is in that case.

I have the same problem:

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2020 at 7:14 AM, Dąbrowski Łukasz said:

Guys, i’ve a problem after mainboard change . Board is activated and starting but ..... i see only the empty battery icon and blinking bt . On the front blinking blue and red lights . Nothing work. Battery is fully charged . I can connect with device by ninebot app and there is all data about batteries and board (battery 96% charged and status „normal”) . After connection with app there is a message about unrecognized problem (38) . Does anybody know what can be wrong? Hall sensors in the motor is ok . 
similiar problem is shown on this movie: 

Any solution?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2019 at 5:09 PM, Jekyll_500 said:

Hi !

As I’ve had problems with steep decline in the first week , I‘m a little afraid that I also may have a defective unit.

N3OTC1828....so is this the second and maybe defective batch? I‘ve had no problems since I avoided riding down steep sections with more than 15degrees.

I got my Z10 at  30/9/2019.

Shall I contact my dealer, what would you recommend? So far I‘m quite happy with the Z10, it’s great for traveling 20-50km with >35kph and I don’t see a nicer competitor , I would trust more...(exc.the KS18XL)

I have the same problem, every time downhill and braking wheel stutters and loses balance, most of the times I can jump off but crashed a few times already

On 8/22/2019 at 8:18 PM, Leonardo Deleon said:

I did have some falls here and there. And I also notice that after some kinds of bumps/curbs/potholes it can trigger this unbalanced state. Riding today it was triggered three times. But turning off and on again a few times makes it balanced again somehow. Really strange

I opened up my wheel to check the connections, but don't see anything out of place.

IMG-20190822-181811.jpg

IMG-20190822-181822.jpg

I have the same issue, have you found a solution? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys!

The day before yesterday I burnt my second MOSFET. Had the wheel laying in the cold (1°C - I know, bad) and then drove for around 5 km. While rolling at about 20 kph the wheel began shuttering, so I braked softly. At the moment I dismounted it shut off and never turned on since then. The battery is ok, the motherboard does look okay too.

But the MOSFET: All 3 Capacitors (that is what I think they are) are exploded, sreading dust around and stinking.

Does anyone of You have had the same issue with the burst capacitors?

I am going to exchange the MOSFET, but do not know, whether that is enough...

photo-2020-11-26-18-53-20.jpg

• 11 months later...

Hello all,  New here but wanted to share my Z10 story.  

I bought the Z10 new from a seller on Ebay back in Dec 2018.  Serial #N3OTC1837T0202

It now has over 3300 miles and still going.  It has occasional had the "shutters" and I have never been able to figure out why exactly. Usually it is while having everything on (headlight, tail light, RGB, and bluetooth speakers at full volume) and then going over something that makes the wheel "think"  Normally I will just stop, sometimes power it off and on, or turn off the RGB??   Over the years it has only happened a few >5 times?   

I ride in rain, I ride in snow, I ride in mud, I ride in dust..  Sheets of ice are not so friendly, but until the snow is about 5 inches this wheel trucks though it.

Love my Z10, and am only now looking at some of the new wheels being released as to upgrade the range I can travel.

I still think it is one of the best looking machines, that is why I bought it!!  

Certainly if I had seen any of the other peoples problems with the company and/or service I might have gone a different way, but I suppose I got lucky  ?

Other than adjusting the tire P.S.I. I have never done anything but wipe down the outside with a damp cloth.

Anybody want to buy "one of the good ones? "  lol

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/14/2019 at 11:58 AM, who_the said:

Wow. Just wow. I commute daily on my Z10 and absolutely love it. Never had a blip of any issues, very thankful. 

Curious, are any of the DOA wheels revivable through the newly-released battery instructions, or are they truly bricked forever? I guess they may have some value for parts to us who want to keep ours going? Didn't know I'd have a Studebaker on my hands... 😀

So, I received a DOA from a seller on eBay. Unbeknownst to me, the seller was reselling the item for a DOA battery, believing the whole unit to be faulty; he/she dumped it. I saw flags at purchase in terms of a brand new looking unit, sold as new, with missing components in the display picture, and a very battered box. When I received the Z10, my suspicions were true. This was a DOA battery unit, brand new never operated, everything intact but the startup disc. The batteries go into deep sleep, after they sit for long periods. I cut a cord from an old lamp, used electrical tap and twisted and tucked each end. One end, I taped the wires to the male charging head. There are three openings. I used the far right, and the middle. I taped the spliced wires to the internal connecting port. Then, I opened the unit, on the battery side. I disconnected the left battery port. I inserted the two spliced ends, in the corresponding battery cord I had just disconnected. The box on the battery cord has a light, it will go from blank to red. Red is charging, green is no charge occurring, but electricity in the line. The battery on the unit with blink intermittent red when it starts ro charge. And VIOLA! I created a defibrillator, for the battery to jump start it. It cost me nothing but a lamo shade cord, that already separated and insulated each cord, and black electrical tape. Shame on the person who sold this without stipulating it. Shame on 9B for making a person stoop so low to recoup their loss. But shout out for me, for betting on me and correctly assessing the situation. The whole thing took me less than 10 minutes to revive it. That includes the time it took the splice and take the screws off. Shipping included, my brand new, now operational Z10, set me back just $1.2k. Hopefully, if you experience this issue, you too can get back in action. Stay hard 💪 

• Like 2

I hope you are aware that if any of the cells had ever been below 2.5V, charging or discharging the unit at all creates a considerable fire risk.

Edited by mrelwood

I don't know where I read it, but I think someone once said that the whole pack shuts down below a certain voltage to avoid the problem you suggest. Can't be 100% on that and I would never risk it on my own Z10 but it's possible that the pack enters a total shutdown phase. Of course cells still discharge even if not connected to anything at all but it takes a very very long time. @catchmydrip can you provide us the ninebot serial number of the wheel?

The way I understood the wall of text was that he disassembled the wheel to bypass the charging prevention, and charged the batteries directly. If I misunderstood, my warning probably doesn’t apply.

14 hours ago, mrelwood said:

The way I understood the wall of text was that he disassembled the wheel to bypass the charging prevention, and charged the batteries directly. If I misunderstood, my warning probably doesn’t apply.

I agree, thats the way I read his post too, I was just mentioning that I'm not sure the cells go down to 2.5v or less due to the (well known) Z parasitic drain. For sure I would have checked the voltages pre-charging if it was me though!

• Upvote 2