[EcoDrift.ru] Ninebot Z10: A Diagnosis of Common Issues

houseofjob

Wow. Just wow. I commute daily on my Z10 and absolutely love it. Never had a blip of any issues, very thankful. 

Curious, are any of the DOA wheels revivable through the newly-released battery instructions, or are they truly bricked forever? I guess they may have some value for parts to us who want to keep ours going? Didn't know I'd have a Studebaker on my hands... 😀

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Ninebot are also refusing to sell replacement parts, so not only are a double-digit percentage off the Z10s arriving DOA, with 9B giving everyone who's made an investment in one the middle-finger & told to get lost, but there's no recourse for procuringthe necessary parts. Discontinuing sales in this case is not a question of choice but of necessity. 

This is absolutely terrible! Does Ninebot management even respond to your correspondence? Can you share with us their responses or reasoning? 

• Like 3

Sadly, the Bloomberg article described Ninebot's electric unicycle as "a one-wheeled orb with retractable foot stands"; (but at least there was photo of a wheel).

800x-1.jpg

Man riding futuristic orb

(Also mention of Shane Chen's "one-wheeled scooter", the Solowheel...)

Edited by RayRay
Hey look, it's one of those orb scooters

39 minutes ago, who_the said:

Wow. Just wow. I commute daily on my Z10 and absolutely love it. Never had a blip of any issues, very thankful. 

Curious, are any of the DOA wheels revivable through the newly-released battery instructions, or are they truly bricked forever? I guess they may have some value for parts to us who want to keep ours going? Didn't know I'd have a Studebaker on my hands... 😀

I'm pretty sure the double-digit failure rate that Jason mentions has nothing to do with the battery discharge issue. It's actual failed hardware, out-of-the-box.

As mentioned here and elsewhere, if you get a Z10 and it works for the first week, you'll probably have a long-life wheel. But until you open the box, you're rolling the dice.

• Like 2

From here on out, I'll only be able to recommend the Z10 in good faith with the proviso that you buy it knowing that you may lose all of your money - it's a wheel for people with deep pockets. Very unfortunate. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Holy shit!! That is so crazy that they would just totally shit on everyone who spends thousands of dollars on their product! I know capitalism is fairly new thing to the Chinese, but it won't be long till their businesses go broke with things like this happening. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jason McNeil said:

Ninebot are also refusing to sell replacement parts, so not only are a double-digit percentage off the Z10s arriving DOA, with 9B giving everyone who's made an investment in one the middle-finger & told to get lost, but there's no recourse for procuring the necessary parts. Discontinuing sales in this case is not a question of choice but of necessity.

This is how you go out of business right?  Or at least in a ideal world it would be, but with a billion potential customers in china business just carries on as usual.  Especially with their profits from their other products (scooters etc).

I would like to think that they aren't selling the parts only because they are identifying the fault/fix in the board and manufacturing new ones, but I doubt that is the case given radio silence.

If you can comment, do you think the failures are due to bad design where the parts they used aren't spec'd right and sometimes fail as a result (and will eventually all succumb)or do you think it's bad part quality control where they just got a batch of bad sensors or something that can't handle the power of their given specs and fail

43 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

From here on out, I'll only be able to recommend the Z10 in good faith with the proviso that you buy it knowing that you may lose all of your money - it's a wheel for people with deep pockets. Very unfortunate. 

@Jason McNeil of the failures with the controller, do you know if all the failures have been out of box / post ride or have these failed at speed.

I'm curious if these hall sensor defects/other controller defects have resulted in the wheels just acting funny on startup or actually have thrown people from their wheels mid ride.  If it's the latter then I imagine this would be a dangerous wheel to be going off trail given the higher current/power demands in those scenarios

1 minute ago, Girth Brooks said:

@Heyzeus the article basically says that if your Z worked out of the box and hasn't given trouble within the first few rides then it's very likely it will last you a longtime.

Yeah, I noticed that but was confused by that conclusion (not saying it's wrong, I am not an engineer) because it says:

Contacts burned at current sensors...

What have two. These current sensors are Hall effect and they are designed for a very high current. Such sensors (designed for high current) were detected only in Ninebot (in Gotway, sensors are connected via current-lowering resistors and have much more modest parameters). 

So how are these burning up in box, just sitting there, I would think it wouldn't be having passive current going through them when off, and I wouldn't expect high current flowing through when off (again not an engineer could be wrong, just seems like it would be weird).  Are the failure ones somehow getting turned on in shipping or maybe they die immediately when being tested at the factory but the nature of the failure isn't such that you notice it just after switching on the first time and so they got boxed up and shipped out.

Just seems weird to my admittedly untrained eye

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I was one of the first batch recipients and I’ve got over 1100 miles on my wheel including lots of riding in moderate to heavy rain, and the wheel is still chugging along.  RoberAce, I believe, has put at least twice that much on his wheel, so it definitely seems to be the case if you’ve got several miles on the wheel, then it’ll keep going.  That said, eventually (and my guess this will be around the 5000 mile mark), the tire is going to be nearly bald and need replacing, but it doesn’t look like I’ll have any ability to fix it :(  As much as I like the Z10, Ninebot’s behavior in this matter makes me really regret not getting a KS18XL instead...

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, JBoo said:

I was one of the first batch recipients and I’ve got over 1100 miles on my wheel including lots of riding in moderate to heavy rain, and the wheel is still chugging along.  RoberAce, I believe, has put at least twice that much on his wheel, so it definitely seems to be the case if you’ve got several miles on the wheel, then it’ll keep going.  That said, eventually (and my guess this will be around the 5000 mile mark), the tire is going to be nearly bald and need replacing, but it doesn’t look like I’ll have any ability to fix it :(  As much as I like the Z10, Ninebot’s behavior in this matter makes me really regret not getting a KS18XL instead...

If all you're worried about is the tire, it seems readily available from multiple sources.

• Upvote 1