Send and receive messaeges

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2019 at 11:24 AM, Leyline said:

It is especially hard when you can only post 3 times a day, and can't send DM's either.

Hard?? Imagine walking into a room filled with 500 people and they all know one another. There are groups and circles formed for conversations and some people are just wandering around listening in on many conversations at once. Next thing you know, a new person comes into the room and no one knows them. The new guy wonders around and picks someone, almost at random from the casual outsider, and buts their way into the conversation only to try and pull one random stranger away and into a back room for a private conversation.
While it would be better for that new person to wander, listen in on a few conversations, and give some feedback to separate discussions or even introduce themself to others first, not a lot of people actually put the effort in and want to go straight to the private messaging. 

You don't take random people you've never met into a back room of a club to talk about something private, so you shouldn't do it online either. Stay, chat, introduce yourself to others, give your opinions to general topics, start a new conversation, etc. The private message is a privilege here, mainly to be used for transference of personal information such as phone number or address. You wouldn't give that info to a random stranger on the street, so why would you do that online?

Your post kind of makes me feel unwelcome, and that you think new people coming around are disturbing your 'people that all know one another', and new guys are just guys "butting their way in" 

I am writing below to let you know how I feel, if you want to understand me, or get to know me better. If you feel it is combative, please don't, if you feel offended, please don't. If you don't want to understand me or know me better, then just skip it, and have a great day.

I still say It IS hard to introduce yourself to people when you can only say something 3 times.
> Go up to a group, say Hi, it's nice to be here today,
< Them yeah, what brought you here?
> Oh I am very interested in what you guys are doing.
< Do you already participate in our activity?
> No, I wanted to learn about it, and see how to get in on it.
< Cool, what's your name?
> ____________ Sorry you've reached your maximum number of statements for the next 24 hours.
< What's with this guy, rolls eyes.
...Me walks away sadly, can't even go talk to others in the room or other places.

This place is not just like random people on the street, it is more like a gym or a private club (not a music club but a hobby club) where you're registered at the door, and I came in because it was a place I wanted to come to be a part of something very specific.
There is a section where people are selling things, with the invitation: if you want it, or to know more about it message me!
Means that they have openly solicited to receive messages from others. 

I feel that A PM is EXACTLY like NOT disturbing the group.
It is not like grabbing someone by the arm and abducting them from what they are active in, it's like leaving a voicemail, or text message they can get back to at their own leisure.

Your club analogy is also a bit out there for me, most people who want to go to a club and meet someone for a purpose do not go into a club to yell at everyone inside. If they want to get to know someone they walk up and introduce themselves privately not yelling at everyone in the place...

I am not saying I don't understand spam, and I am not asking for explanations, I've just never been in a forum so exclusive, and my sentiment is, this place is harder to get started up in than most. (by most I mean every single other online forum / group / community I have been in in the past 34+ years)

7 hours ago, Leyline said:

Your post kind of makes me feel unwelcome, and that you think new people coming around are disturbing your 'people that all know one another', and new guys are just guys "butting their way in" 

I am writing below to let you know how I feel, if you want to understand me, or get to know me better. If you feel it is combative, please don't, if you feel offended, please don't. If you don't want to understand me or know me better, then just skip it, and have a great day.

I still say It IS hard to introduce yourself to people when you can only say something 3 times.
> ____________ Sorry you've reached your maximum number of statements for the next 24 hours.
...Me walks away sadly, can't even go talk to others in the room or other places.

This place is not just like random people on the street, it is more like a gym or a private club (not a music club but a hobby club) where you're registered at the door, and I came in because it was a place I wanted to come to be a part of something very specific.
There is a section where people are selling things, with the invitation: if you want it, or to know more about it message me!

It is not like grabbing someone by the arm and abducting them from what they are active in, it's like leaving a voicemail, or text message they can get back to at their own leisure.

Your club analogy is also a bit out there for me, most people who want to go to a club and meet someone for a purpose do not go into a club to yell at everyone inside. If they want to get to know someone they walk up and introduce themselves privately not yelling at everyone in the place...

I am not saying I don't understand spam, and I am not asking for explanations, I've just never been in a forum so exclusive, and my sentiment is, this place is harder to get started up in than most. (by most I mean every single other online forum / group / community I have been in in the past 34+ years)

Most of us understand your frustration, including me. But please be patient. These safeguards were put in place to keep SPAM at a zero level and to make this a pleasant place to hang out.

We have all been where you are. Take the long view; a short waiting/adjustment period will be a tiny blip in your Forum experience when you reflect back a year from now. Your future self may appreciate the Forum safeguards which are currently irritating you.

Welcome. Stick around. Join a few discussions and this will all be history soon enough :)

Thanks Marty, just FYI I’m not currently irritated, I was at first but that was weeks ago.  I was just trying to explain myself.  Now I just feel blech and wish i had not. Sorry. 

On 3/7/2019 at 5:30 AM, Leyline said:

Can't even like this because I have used my one like. Lol.

Archived