Inmotion Bluetooth Protocol Documentation

lioku

Has Inmotion or some third party documented the Bluetooth protocol used on the V8 or their other EUCs?

I love geeking out on the stats from DarknessBot and the official app, but I find the logging interfaces in both to be lacking some functionality. Being a software developer by trade, I thought it would be fun to play around with some interface ideas. But after reading the forum posts about GyroMetrics, DarknessBot and WheelLog, it seems like the developers of those apps had to reverse engineer the communication protocols for the various brands with a Bluetooth LE sniffer and lots of trial and error. It might be fun to dig into that, but I'm curious; has the situation changed at since those apps were originally written?

👍a fellow "geeker outer". I've also enjoyed looking at wheellog data, and have been thinking of ways to throw some analytics against it to uncover more insights.  I'm more like an administrator/systems engineer that likes to write code than a developer though.  :-) 

18 hours ago, lioku said:

Has Inmotion or some third party documented the Bluetooth protocol used on the V8 or their other EUCs?

Never heard of any official documentation. If such documentation exists it was not publicly leaked...

But after reading the forum posts about GyroMetrics, DarknessBot and WheelLog, it seems like the developers of those apps had to reverse engineer the communication protocols for the various brands with a Bluetooth LE sniffer and lots of trial and error. It might be fun to dig into that, but I'm curious;

Seems this knowlegde is all we have. 

has the situation changed at since those apps were originally written?

That was quite some time ago and they are still maintained (except gyrometrics). Mainly support for new wheels like the z10...

On 2/11/2019 at 3:05 PM, Blueblade said:

I've also enjoyed looking at wheellog data, and have been thinking of ways to throw some analytics against it to uncover more insights.

I'm tempted to take my old Android phone out with me just to try out WheelLog. Exporting data is one of the features I really crave, as that would allow me to -- as you say -- apply my own analysis after the fact. My current phone runs iOS, and I'm definitely not upgrading any time soon due to -- cough -- saving for a new wheel :efee8319ab:

Thanks for the confirmation, @Chriull. Seems like reverse engineering or partnering is the way forward if I want to pursue this.

Edited by lioku

• 3 months later...

Is there any news regarding this? I'm also interested. Would be nice to be able to retrieve the current speed and current speed limit (which gradually gets lower as the battery is draining) of my V10, and create some gadget which shows me how close to the limit I'm currently riding. I guess this can't be extracted from WheelLog in real time, and also it doesn't even know the current speed limit, just the speed itself.