Newbie question

Humsuplow

Twitchiness of the V5F:

I guess now I will have to tell the lady that her wheel is at maximum sensitivity...and...and....and...:whistling:Bwaaaah, never mind...

20181014_155048.mp4_20190302_164044_031.thumb.jpg.82f5d8f05ad9c811e2f58fcc38ad5461.jpg

It's funny.  I learned on a KS14D, which is also pretty twitchy.  It took me a long time to ride it smoothly with accuracy.  I recently just bought an 18L, and it feels like I have to re-learn some things, especially turning.  I"m having a heck of a time doing slow speed tight turns on it!  It's definitely easy to ride it straight though!  

I learned on a 14C and it was very twitchy too, but not so much because it was a 14" tyre but because I blew the tyre up to 65PSI on day one and rode hundreds of miles like that. It was like riding on a knife edge. When I lowered the pressure it became much less twitchy.

On 2/10/2019 at 1:18 PM, OliverOliverOliver said:

I started off with ninebot one E plus . once I was more confident I got myself I got way ACM 16 . Had no problems with the transition as both the wheels were 16 in . I've just got myself and inmotion v5f last week. But I seem to have trouble riding it. It's much more nimble as I have read, but it's hard to handle( control ). The wheel keeps shifting either to the left or to the right.s this because I'm new to a 14 inch? Is this a conditioning issue?

This is why I'm a big proponent of starting off on a (smaller) wheel. People like to just spend all the money right off the bat on the best and bigger battery wheel. Then, later on, when they move to a smaller wheel such as V5F, their muscles are not "entrained" to deal with the twitchiness, and bad accidents can occur, like the rather graphic recent post of the dude who opened up his chin and showed us all with an up close photo 🤪 (especially with heavier riders causing cutouts by overpowering). I think everyone should learn on a V5F, because you get to train your muscles to be very in tune with the wheel and its motor. Very subtle movements are key to maintaining excellent control on a V5F. When I get back on mine after riding my XL, I have to re-adjust, but thankfully, since I learned on it, it doesn't take long for the muscles memory to kick in...

6 minutes ago, Rama Douglas said:

This is why I'm a big proponent of starting off on a (smaller) wheel. People like to just spend all the money right off the bat on the best and bigger battery wheel. Then, later on, when they move to a smaller wheel such as V5F, their muscles are not "entrained" to deal with the twitchiness, and bad accidents can occur, like the rather graphic recent post of the dude who opened up his chin and showed us all with an up close photo 🤪 (especially with heavier riders causing cutouts by overpowering). I think everyone should learn on a V5F, because you get to train your muscles to be very in tune with the wheel and its motor. Very subtle movements are key to maintaining excellent control on a V5F. When I get back on mine after riding my XL, I have to re-adjust, but thankfully, since I learned on it, it doesn't take long for the muscles memory to kick in...

I could not say it better!

People don't learn to pilot on a Boeing 737 because the stall speed is high.

They learn on a Cessna 152, to learn to tame the stall...

Then they respect it and know how to deal with it...

I am a 200 pound man, so I will not be riding or buying anything smaller than a 16 inch wheel. I just can't be convinced the smaller, lesser powerful wheel is made for a person my size. If either of the wheels I have cutout during a ride then the guess work will be taken out of the equation of "Why did this happen?" It will have only happened 9.8 out of 10 times as a result of me riding past it's limits which would be my fault alone. Seems like a cutout is nearly certain at some point with heavy people riding a smaller wheel. I could be wrong, but I'll stick to my miniPRO for short, slow riding.

1 hour ago, Girth Brooks said:

I am a 200 pound man, so I will not be riding or buying anything smaller than a 16 inch wheel. I just can't be convinced the smaller, lesser powerful wheel is made for a person my size. If either of the wheels I have cutout during a ride then the guess work will be taken out of the equation of "Why did this happen?" It will have only happened 9.8 out of 10 times as a result of me riding past it's limits which would be my fault alone. Seems like a cutout is nearly certain at some point with heavy people riding a smaller wheel. I could be wrong, but I'll stick to my miniPRO for short, slow riding.

l actually agree with you. A KS16S would be ideal for you, say to practice fancy stuff. You need close to 840Wh to be quite safe since you are above 200 pounds.

Look at @seage, I just hope he does not move up too quickly to KS18XL. ;)  before milking out the KS16S.

Please understand, I do not recommend small Wh wheels( < 680Wh)  to go at 25kmh for someone above 170 pounds.

The same way you would not try to go in a Cessna  152 at 150knots with a 200 pound passenger! 

There is a reason why there are so many different wheels! Each one has it's limitations AND purpose...

I might think about getting a 14” wheel if my wife removes the restrictions on using EUC’s to get from the couch to the bathroom. :pooping:  

As @Girth Brooks said they are not made for people that attract gravity at a more advanced level. 

As @pico said the KS16s is an awesome trick wheel for people my size.

46 minutes ago, Girth Brooks said:

@pico I am honestly sad I will likely never be able to manhandle a small wheel for the trick riding. It looks incredibly fun to do.

Don't sell yourself short! My GF and I we started this only a year and a  half ago just for the fun of it.

I personally STUDIED a lot of videos (and still do) and thought that I would never be able to pull a trick like the Thompson (my most fun maneuver after "Rotating Spirit of Ecstasy" illustrated below).

Then we found that by riding with a purpose rather than for speed we were gradually getting more and more CONTROL.

Actually one trick naturally  lead  to another. One day all of a sudden you realize that this was not so difficult after all...

I will be 65 next month...

316089744_SpiritofEctasy.thumb.jpg.8c7b6346b3fdab1b50e058dd3935f6dc.jpg

440px-Rolls_Royce_Silver_Cloud_I_1957_Spirit_of_Ecstasy_Side.jpg.258a6e5412aaa0bdfa04a4467f16141c.jpg

2 hours ago, pico said:

l actually agree with you. A KS16S would be ideal for you, say to practice fancy stuff. You need close to 840Wh to be quite safe since you are above 200 pounds.

Look at @seage, I just hope he does not move up too quickly to KS18XL. ;)  before milking out the KS16S.

Please understand, I do not recommend small Wh wheels( < 680Wh)  to go at 25kmh for someone above 170 pounds.

The same way you would not try to go in a Cessna  152 at 150knots with a 200 pound passenger! 

There is a reason why there are so many different wheels! Each one has it's limitations AND purpose...

Ive got that itch for that badboy, but I'm not good enough on the KS16s yet, haha. I'll ride it until its an extension of my body, or I truly crush it under my weight! (Hopefully finding out AFTER a ride, and not while im on it)

But yeah, I did a gang of research and found that the 840Wh would be the minimum id trust under my feet. And to stay under the maximum limits of the wheel until I shed these hibernation pounds. Once I get to try another wheel, i'll report back on how twitchy my 16S is, but I can imagine. That added weight/size. It would be like accelerating in a little civic, compared to a 16 wheeler. Just a different beast off the mark. 

And to house of jobs point, I agreeee. He told me about that wider stance, and I noticed that my wheel forces me into one. I've been able to stand stably with a bit of a smaller stance now, but its still much more than the IM. I think with something so peppy and responsive, to have your legs so close together, coming from something stable and wider, it would for sure throw you for a loop.

And @pico you're 64?! I would never have imagined! You give me hope in convincing my dad to ride. Hes 58 and has been making excuses even though I SEE that glint of interest and excitement in his eyes, lol. I've been telling him that a bulk of the folks on this forum are his age and older but hes been skeptical. 

46 minutes ago, seage said:

Ive got that itch for that badboy, but I'm not good enough on the KS16s yet, haha. I'll ride it until its an extension of my body, or I truly crush it under my weight! (Hopefully finding out AFTER a ride, and not while im on it)

But yeah, I did a gang of research and found that the 840Wh would be the minimum id trust under my feet. And to stay under the maximum limits of the wheel until I shed these hibernation pounds. Once I get to try another wheel, i'll report back on how twitchy my 16S is, but I can imagine. That added weight/size. It would be like accelerating in a little civic, compared to a 16 wheeler. Just a different beast off the mark. 

And to house of jobs point, I agreeee. He told me about that wider stance, and I noticed that my wheel forces me into one. I've been able to stand stably with a bit of a smaller stance now, but its still much more than the IM. I think with something so peppy and responsive, to have your legs so close together, coming from something stable and wider, it would for sure throw you for a loop.

And @pico you're 64?! I would never have imagined! You give me hope in convincing my dad to ride. Hes 58 and has been making excuses even though I SEE that glint of interest and excitement in his eyes, lol. I've been telling him that a bulk of the folks on this forum are his age and older but hes been skeptical. 

I'm your dad's age. Just show him some of my videos and say, "that could be you"  :)

Just now, Marty Backe said:

I'm your dad's age. Just show him some of my videos and say, "that could be you"  :)

I've actually shown him your videos! He couldnt stop smiling. I think we've almost got him, haha! 

17 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

P.s. Don't show him the video where I break my shoulder :efeff54d4a:

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

P.s. Don't show him the video where I break my shoulder :efeff54d4a:

LOL, yeah, i'll be sure to skip over that one. Although im sure hes aware of the risks, considering he watches me pad up like a hockey player everytime i go outside

Archived