Newbie question

Humsuplow

I started off with ninebot one E plus . once I was more confident I got myself I got way ACM 16 . Had no problems with the transition as both the wheels were 16 in . I've just got myself and inmotion v5f last week. But I seem to have trouble riding it. It's much more nimble as I have read, but it's hard to handle( control ). The wheel keeps shifting either to the left or to the right.s this because I'm new to a 14 inch? Is this a conditioning issue?

This is normal. Each wheel is different and responds differently. It takes time to get used to the differences. When you do not get the response you expect you tend to over compensate . It just takes a lighter touch. Some people say that they are more nimble. I say they are more hyper. 

Yes, hyper is the right answer.  Ever so wanting to turn left and right.  Hard to stay in a straight line.  Not liking it at the moment. But will keep on practicing . 

I own both VF5 and Ninebot One E.

The V5F is way faster reacting than the ninebot One. I personnaly love the two wheels for different reasons.

V5F is more a toe/heel machine, and Ninebot One a body throw machine.

Practice on both and I think you will be able to handle mostly any wheel.

Once you get fully familar with both you will be able to transfer the different skills from one to the other. Great fun!

True. Tyre pressure can make huge differences on the V5F. You may even have to deal with the dreaded wobbles.

Be ready to experiment. 

Your weight and geometry of your legs may make a difference.

The wheel has a high center of gravity and high pedals for its size. To boot the pedals are solidly canted up.

The V5F set me back a serious 4 weeks of training coming from the laggard X3. It was really worth the trouble...

Check this training video that I recently dug out from my hardrive.

Super fast and minimal corrections to insure smooth backward riding. 

Thanks pico, yes I realized it really is a toe heel type of wheel using different stances and muscles. Maybe because my body/ legs are new to the wheel. Was my first time riding to work ( just 2km first long distance with this wheel). First 1km was okay, then towards my second km, it felt as if I don't know how to ride anymore. The wheel was kinda going all over the place. I had to use my legs to compensate each other to get the wheel to run straight.  Had to slow down to avoid wobbles as the last I experienced riding the wheel went sideways to the right and came off my feet and that's where I had my first scratch to the foot plate ( sob sob ). 

I wasn't going fast , just around 15kmh maybe lesser at times. Guess I really do need proper conditioning.  Had no issues with my ACM16 and my nine bot one at high speeds. This 14inch is a different kind of beast but I'm loving her. She's beautifully built, nice and portable/light for easy commute. The kill off switch under the handle is God sent . So convenient to use . Although not heavy at all, the trolley handle too is still a great feature to have. This V5F  will be used as my daily commute on short rides, ACM 16 for longer rides and off roading and the ninebot one will be for thrashing around learning simple tricks.i can now confidently reverse (yuhoooo...). Still having trouble to ride with one leg though. 

Ooops, be careful, the type of wobble I was refering to are deceleration induced wobbles. Yours are rider induced wobbles. You will get rid of those by alternating your weight from side to side like skying. Do not squeeze the wheel. Sorry for not specifying.

2 hours ago, OliverOliverOliver said:

First 1km was okay, then towards my second km, it felt as if I don't know how to ride anymore. The wheel was kinda going all over the place.

This is how I felt when borrowing the partner's V5F after having spent time on the V3 (slow and stable) and 16S with 2.5" tyre (16", fast and stable). It's just a matter of becoming used to the wheel - part of it was that I was putting in a much heavier touch than it needed, and after a rest and resetting the mental model, I fell in love with the V5F too and have been commuting with it the past week (~12km round trip and a couple of longer rides). So you'll definitely get there.

2 minutes ago, OliverOliverOliver said:

When I come back to Malaysia I look forward to ride with you guys in Singapore Uekarashi

Hit me up when you do end up in Singapore, I'm always keen to go out for a ride ^_^ 

You're oversteering because the V5F is much more sensitive to input compared to your other wheels (it's thin!). Happened to me going from my wiiiiide ACM to a borrowed V8 (both 16 inchers). Had to force myself to be very gentle (very slight weight shifts between the feet for control) to stop riding in snake curves.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2019 at 7:41 PM, uekarashi said:

Hit me up when you do end up in Singapore, I'm always keen to go out for a ride ^_^ 

Hi uekarashi. Its been a journey to finally  found some euc members in Spore/Malaysia. I'm new to this hobby and was wondering if I can get some info / tips to buying an euc in spore. I live in Malaysia BTW. Could I pm you to ask further? 

9 hours ago, Busz said:

Hi uekarashi. Its been a journey to finally  found some euc members in Spore/Malaysia. I'm new to this hobby and was wondering if I can get some info / tips to buying an euc in spore. I live in Malaysia BTW. Could I pm you to ask further? 

Sure :)

The V5F is a excellent but horrible training wheel. I have trained people with success on it for other wheels. What I mean is, after practicing on the super squirrely V5F, I transition the person to a large wheel like an 18” and all of a sudden they can stay on as long as they want. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2019 at 1:17 AM, Darrell Wesh said:

The V5F is a excellent but horrible training wheel. I have trained people with success on it for other wheels. What I mean is, after practicing on the super squirrely V5F, I transition the person to a large wheel like an 18” and all of a sudden they can stay on as long as they want. 

It's been almost a month since I've had it. Not the best of wheels for a daily commute.  Still twitchy when I ride too slow on a straight line.  But as you've put it. After practicing on things wheel , riding a larger wheel is a breeze.  Only thing I like about it is its portability.  Not too heavy with transportation features and not too huge either.  

I'm just curious if the 14 inches are so twitchy, I can't imagine how the 12 and 10 inch wheels are.  Must be a nightmare.  Or is it just the v5f that the nightmare. 

3 hours ago, OliverOliverOliver said:

I'm just curious if the 14 inches are so twitchy, I can't imagine how the 12 and 10 inch wheels are.  Must be a nightmare.  Or is it just the v5f that the nightmare. 

@Marty Backe? I have a ks14s as well but that is much more civilized compare to the twitchy inmotion, but still twitchy compared to an 18” with a 2.5” wide tire

5 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

@Marty Backe? I have a ks14s as well but that is much more civilized compare to the twitchy inmotion, but still twitchy compared to an 18” with a 2.5” wide tire

The wheel diameter is not the only determining factor of twitchiness. I believe the tire width and shell shape are also big determiners. My MCM5 (14-inches) is my most responsive wheel, certainly much more so than my KS14S. The Mten3 (10-inches) is not twitchy at all; I think because of the 3-inch wide tire and maybe wide shell. 

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

The wheel diameter is not the only determining factor of twitchiness. I believe the tire width and shell shape are also big determiners. My MCM5 (14-inches) is my most responsive wheel, certainly much more so than my KS14S. The Mten3 (10-inches) is not twitchy at all; I think because of the 3-inch wide tire and maybe wide shell. 

I want an Mten3 even more now! I thought it would be super twitchy for some reason despite the wide tire 

17 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

I want an Mten3 even more now! I thought it would be super twitchy for some reason despite the wide tire 

The only sane, reasonable thing for everyone is to want one of every wheel available. Marty's 2 ACMs show that even the "one" part might be too little. So you're good, very reasonable, essentially overmodest, downright lacking in wheels, and should certainly get an mten3;)

IMHO, twitchiness has nothing to do with tire diameter: tire width & feet placement are the real factors.

2.125" or less wide will feel more twitchy at any diameter, ...... but the InMotion 2.125" wide wheels (V5/V8) will make the twitchiness worse if the rider does not set their feet/legs wider than placing their feet flush with the tiny IM stock pedals and legs against the narrow shell (ie. narrow feet/stance, never good for EUC riding in general IMHO).

Conversely, Gotway or King Song 2.125" wide wheels will have thicker bodies to begin with, no opportunity to set your feet too narrow.

2 hours ago, houseofjob said:

but the InMotion 2.125" wide wheels (V5/V8)

I believe these are narrower than 2.125. 1.9 inches or something like that. At least the V8 is narrower, a "regular" 2.125 inch tire chafes the shell.

Bu you're completely right, a wider wheel feels totally different. Probably a bigger influence on the IM wheels than the tire width is that they are so narrow.

Archived