Interest in an Android Wear app? KS only for now.

Zanoni

what's the refresh rate or how often is it polling the wheel for data.  Maybe if it updated only once a second instead of continuous or every half second that might preserve battery life.

Does the display update even if the speed hasn't changed.  

Being able to choose the option to choose continuous updating or an eco mode that updates only every so often or when the user lifts their wrist would be neat.  Alternatively position based wrist down by the side, doesn't update, wrist lifted up, updates continuously until put down again.  Not that I know how to do any of this, just spitballing.

On 2/22/2019 at 1:31 AM, Zanoni said:

Slightly bad news for the Sony SW3.  I tried installing, but now I realize that any Android Wear 1 watch isn't going to work from the Google Play Store.  Some of those watches are technically compatible, as in the app will run on them, but there's a catch.  In Android Wear 1.0, you had to install a phone app with the watch app bundled in.  I haven't created a phone app, so it won't show up for you in the store. Even though the phone app is not used, it's still required to install things.  I'll play around and see if I can get bundling to work, and keep you posted...

Another idea, if you're anxious to try it, and feeling adventurous.  It's possible to side-load the app directly from your computer.  I did that, and it works just fine.

I will have secondhand Sony SW3. So can test both wear os versions: 1 and 2.

Please can you advise how to side-load the app directly from computer?

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Heyzeus said:

what's the refresh rate or how often is it polling the wheel for data.  Maybe if it updated only once a second instead of continuous or every half second that might preserve battery life.

Does the display update even if the speed hasn't changed.  

Being able to choose the option to choose continuous updating or an eco mode that updates only every so often or when the user lifts their wrist would be neat.  Alternatively position based wrist down by the side, doesn't update, wrist lifted up, updates continuously until put down again.  Not that I know how to do any of this, just spitballing.

I think you've got the right idea.  I am already updating very slowly (once per second) when the watch is in "ambient" mode.  Any slower than that, and it would make the speedo seem kinda weird, since that's pretty dynamic.  I wonder if a better solution may be to ditch the speedometer in ambient mode in favor of slowly changing info like total distance, avg speed, etc.  That info could update once every 10-15 sec, or less than that depending on some sort of change % threshold.  That way you can always flick your wrist up or tap the screen to see the "live" view with the speedometer, but if you peek at your watch without moving, you'd see battery info, total distance etc.  I'm now looking at how fitness apps work, since those are pretty much tuned for a similar use case.

I'm sure there are other optimizations to make, but this would probably make a big difference.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Zanoni said:

(once per second) when the watch is in "ambient" mode.  Any slower than that, and it would make the speedo seem kinda weird. 

Very true. I have a Garmin GPS watch. It has a 2 or 3 second delay on speed. I can’t stand it. For me the time delay makes it useless. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jitesar said:

I will have secondhand Sony SW3. So can test both wear os versions: 1 and 2.

Please can you advise how to side-load the app directly from computer?

That would be great, I will post some instructions in the near future along with an updated app file.

Thank you!

Unfortunately I can't give feedback about battery usage. Because when I connect app with KS-18XL, it updates speed for couple of second and then screen data are frozen.

Jumping to watch face and back to the wearwheel app starts scanning process again and it takes very long time to discover KS... if it would successfully discover it, the name of KS appears, but only for second and if I miss select it I need to wait until in again randomly appears under "Select Wheel" Menu.

I tried clear cache and data under app menu. Restarted the wheel. Uninstall/install app. 

This is what I see now, permanently:

But when I will jump to watch face and back to the app, it will start scanning from beginning.

IMG_0960.jpg

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Heyzeus said:

Nice, good job

What methods/strategies did you end up using to lower it

Thanks!

There were a few issues, luckily Android Studio has a nice way to see what's eating up power/cpu in the profile tool.  Lucky for me, the big problem was obvious.  My little animating start-up spinner was just spinning away endlessly in the background (it just ignored my request to stop!).  That, and I updated the library for laying things out on the screen (constraintLayout), and got some good improvements on rendering speed.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, jitesar said:

Thank you!

Unfortunately I can't give feedback about battery usage. Because when I connect app with KS-18XL, it updates speed for couple of second and then screen data are frozen.

Jumping to watch face and back to the wearwheel app starts scanning process again and it takes very long time to discover KS... if it would successfully discover it, the name of KS appears, but only for second and if I miss select it I need to wait until in again randomly appears under "Select Wheel" Menu.

I tried clear cache and data under app menu. Restarted the wheel. Uninstall/install app. 

This is what I see now, permanently:

But when I will jump to watch face and back to the app, it will start scanning from beginning.

Thanks so much for helping test!

Jumping back to the watch face will start scanning again.  I haven't done the work to keep the connection open while the app is in the background yet.  Hopefully this is behavior to fix (I have some learning to do!).

I'm more concerned with the freezing, though.  My guess is that it lost connection.  There's a bug where it doesn't seem to detect disconnection very well.  I think that's why everything is frozen up.  

By the way, have you ever connected to your wheel with something like WheelLog?  If so, does it have any connection issues there.

7 hours ago, Zanoni said:

Thanks so much for helping test!

Jumping back to the watch face will start scanning again.  I haven't done the work to keep the connection open while the app is in the background yet.  Hopefully this is behavior to fix (I have some learning to do!).

I'm more concerned with the freezing, though.  My guess is that it lost connection.  There's a bug where it doesn't seem to detect disconnection very well.  I think that's why everything is frozen up.  

By the way, have you ever connected to your wheel with something like WheelLog?  If so, does it have any connection issues there.

Thank you! Yes, we can postpone background app connection support. This can be solved later, we can work with this. 

I didn't try wheelLog, but IOS KS App (newest or old one), as well DarknessBot or Gyrometrics are getting data continuously. It can be problem with noisy RF environment I'm now (many BT WiFi,... devices). Not sure about stopping receiving data or freezing the app. I will test it.

1 hour ago, Lefteris said:

I'd pay 30€ for a clean pebble time version of it..

any luck ? :P

It is android wear os room here

I would like apple iwatch non-tethered version as well ;-)

Edited by jitesar
  • Like 1

Wear Wheel @ Sony SW3

side loaded to wearos 1.5.0 

I think that the issue with updating (or maybe capturing from BT) is after very short time when wheel doesn't move. Until I was able to keep some movement it worked. When it stoped to update date ( but maybe some BT collision??) I see frozen display and app must be restarted, reconnected to the wheel..

But I think BT signal reception isn't the problem.

B6B78A97-C4EF-455D-BA3A-E81F974DC072.jpeg

Hi All,

This thread made me register account with forum and I ordered TicWatch Pro today. A few day ago got 14D as present. Now learning and very much like it. I am a skier, so got it easy to start with simple ride.

Can you please count me on as well for application. Can test, can help developing it - I am it architect, began learning coding from turbopascal by Borland, full stack developer.

Will also explore what are the options.

My motivation is simple. I had installed KS app on old phone and was not impressed by how much access it wants for such a crappy UI. Why does it need to read all my private data, I have no clue. But I am not willing to let it be on my phone.

I want wearable that doesn't have to be paired to my phone to operate the wheel. Also I am not yet quite sure how should I combine watch with wrist protection as it is quite bulky ( protection ). Worse case will keep it in poket. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, jesi said:

I just emailed to you, related to install problem with Huawei mate 20 Pro =) 

Sorry, it's not a phone app.  You need a smart watch with Wear OS by Google.

• 2 weeks later...