Smoother

Rentable escooters will be the Death of EUCs in Major cities of the World

34 minutes ago, Nic said:

Green policy will hopefully see that this doesn't happen. How much damage from Hurricanes can the US handle before realising that global warming is a real issue?

In many ways the US, due to its policies, is the bad guy of the world. That is, the US often runs counter to public safety, at both its own and the world's.

A logical government policy would limit its greenhouse emissions by contraining the number of roads and automobiles (especially large ones), encourage alternative transportation, and limit damages by not building on floodplanes.

Instead, larger vehicles get a government subsidy, and electrics are tariffed.

In the case of hurricane caused global warming, the US encourages both global warming by subsidizing vehicles/roads AND house construction.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Flood_Insurance_Program

The NFI is about 25 billion in debt.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

Horses vastly outnumbered cars at one point and yet, here we are. :efef2e0fff:

Can you think of why cars dominated horses?

I mean, you seem pretty intelligent. Can you figure out why a disruptive tech is...disruptive?

Can you take it even further, and see why bicycles aren't a disruptive tech over cars?

If you are referring escooter as the electric kickscooter then I hope they die, I will never rent any of them, they are dangerous as hell, and are dumped about everywhere. Would use the fatwheel scooter or the like, though....

• Like 1

Public opinion is everything.

There's this company in San Diego called Scooter Removal making money (or trying to at least) by removing scooters from private property. They have a GoFundMe campaign setup because the 'evil' scooter rental companies don't want to pay their ransom, I mean, impound fees...

"Help us or we'll die." (Good riddens.)

https://www.scootscoop.com/

• Like 1

On 2/15/2019 at 8:24 PM, winterwheel said:

Horses vastly outnumbered cars at one point and yet, here we are. :efef2e0fff:

Speaking of this, if you think drivers are rude around cyclists or EUCs, I can tell you that it is far worse for horse/carriage users.  I'm sure some people will laugh at this comparison, but every group has their reasons for liking the transportation method they choose.

Misguided people exist in all walks of life.  This same thing happened with drones, whose sudden proliferation, irresponsible use, and "scary" possible future use cases caused the regulation of all R/C aircraft over a particular weight.

On 2/15/2019 at 8:26 PM, LanghamP said:

In many ways the US, due to its policies, is the bad guy of the world. That is, the US often runs counter to public safety, at both its own and the world's.

I think it's a bit exaggerated to say the US "often" runs counter to public safety.  Not to mention, there's a broad range of attitudes about what makes the public "safe."

I guess the brave new world of lightweight personal EVs will make sense in certain areas, but around the Plains and Great Lakes, there is simply not a viable personal EV solution that will go through a foot of snow and ice, and keep the occupant comfortable in subzero (-20c) weather, day or night.  I personally use the next-best option and use an electric car... but then get flak from people who gripe about the carbon footprint of the cost of engineering and manufacturing electric cars and batteries.  :rolleyes:

Every bit of information I have seen lately suggests that people are looking for more walkability and bikeability in their cities.  How many people will walk when it's below 0 is a matter of some debate.  So far, EUCs and e-bikes are fully permitted by my state, within motor output limits.  This seems reasonable to me.  Who knows if some new federal legislation will change this, but I expect not, unless the EU talks them into it.

• Upvote 1

On 2/15/2019 at 7:05 PM, LanghamP said:

Once a bicycle lane has been put into a city, it only has a limited time before one of two things happen.

1. The bicycle lane is successful as many bicyclists use it, and is then accepted permanently by the local culture.

2. A popular revolt occurs by drivers, and then the bike lane is removed.

2018 saw the roll back of quite a number of bicycle lanes due to populist demand.

https://www.bicycling.com/culture/a23566413/los-angeles-is-the-worst-bike-city-in-america/

https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2018/05/how-to-kill-a-bike-lane/559934/

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/south-carolina/articles/2018-07-15/south-carolina-city-to-remove-bike-lanes-on-busy-road

https://www.thestate.com/latest-news/article214892680.html

I would guess most bike lanes will be removed in the near future, simply due to the fact that drivers outnumber bicyclists by a 50 to 1 ratio, and see each bike lane as taking away from free flowing auto lanes.

South Carolina and South California are similar in that they are areas with deeply entrenched pro-car cultures. 

20 hours ago, pst said:

I guess the brave new world of lightweight personal EVs will make sense in certain areas, but around the Plains and Great Lakes, there is simply not a viable personal EV solution that will go through a foot of snow and ice, and keep the occupant comfortable in subzero (-20c) weather, day or night.  

Clearly, you have not met our very own @winterwheel ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lutalo said:

Haha, touche.

Actually I did find a few interesting posts while thinking earlier today that maybe I shouldn't give up so easily and I should look for good cold weather gear since I could see bits of pavement.  Sure enough, in the few hours since that thought, we got 4" of snow, on top of the existing patches of compacted snow and smooth ice.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lutalo said:

Not just me, there are quite a few people finding out these things are quite manageable in winter conditions. As far as I can tell the pioneer was @EUC Extreme

Edited by winterwheel
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, pst said:

Haha, touche.

Actually I did find a few interesting posts while thinking earlier today that maybe I shouldn't give up so easily and I should look for good cold weather gear since I could see bits of pavement.  Sure enough, in the few hours since that thought, we got 4" of snow, on top of the existing patches of compacted snow and smooth ice.

Ice alone is tricky. Deep snow is a pain. A modest amount of snow over ice gives you all the traction you need and makes for easy riding.

• Like 1