Genetic ancestory testing shows low repeatability.

LanghamP

I'm pretty sure that Google listens in on my Android phone when I make calls and write in it, because it's clearly stated in their EUA that they do so.

Also, after my mother told me she got a generic testing this got into my feed.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/dna-ancestry-kits-twins-marketplace-1.4980976

That being said, if I am a true twin and I send both our samples away then I would expect back something fairly consistent. Obviously if I sent back the exact same sample under two subjects then I'm sure all companies would simply retrieve the same record that matches.

It looks like there's a fair amount of guesswork with all these DNA ancestors testing but there shouldn't be with such huge sample sizes and accurate knowledge of people's graphical information.

Your validity sucks but you should at least have some repeatability.

It's safe to assume none of these ancestory testers are any good at all until the open up their algorithms. Hell, you give me five bucks and a picture of you and I'll guess if you're black, white, asian, Indian, somoan, or some mix of those, because that's apparently the accuracy of these tests.

Why, then, are companies claiming valid DNA testing when they actually cannot? Actually, they aren't; all simply say it's for entertainment and it's up to you to, um, interpret their interpretations. One company did $100 million in sales last year so there is a strong incentive to sell these tests as valid when they aren't actually valid. While I haven't seen nor read any of their ads I'm sure it'll be one of those ads that promises to do something while immediately at the end disclaims doing no such thing. Ads that promise to do the the exact opposite of what they originally promised are what kind of ads, again?

A more cynical person than me would say it looks like they collect information to sell to anyone who pays for it. Medical insurance and law enforcement immediately comes to mind.

I call them all Nazis (in an affectionate overused way) since the eventual result is a bunch of law-abiding Supermen. One could easily become an unperson on the wrong side of the barbed wire fence should one leave DNA on the can when spray-painting something unPC on a wall. While harboring a terrible hereditary disease. Like astigmatism.

3 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

It's all a scam!  :furious:

Hi buddy! Well I received my ‘23 and Me’  results  last week ( xmas gift) and learned my ancestry is from all over the world except Canada.  No Hunka DNA in me!  :)

Archived