Broken thumb - looking for hand/wrist protection

I had to bail yesterday around 18 mph and ended up dislocating my left thumb.  I’ve always worn wrist guards +++, leaving my fingers the only thing exposed.  I haven’t heard of this injury before but felt that I should share.  It is brutally painful so I suggest avoiding if possible.

I’m looking for recommendations on thumb/wrist guards if anybody has a set they like?

Can’t wait to get back on the wheel.  I must be crazy!

Ouch, i have had this injury before not EUC related but can relate to the pain well not really the pain as i was in a drunk as a skunk 

But the recovery time was savage as i done both thumbs at the same time 

Hoping its yr least used hand

Get well soon and stride to glide the wheel with pride :)   

Sorry to hear of your injury. Having an injured hand is painful and frustrating. I hope you Heel quickly. 

I am not aware of any way to prevent such injuries. It is natural instinct for our hands to protect us. The only improvement I can think of to protect the fingers from dislocation would be to have webed fingered leather gloves. Almost like a catchers mitt...... I don’t think that anything like that exists. It is just an idea. 

Get well soon! 

I got forced to the edge of the trail and snagged a pedal on the brush, nothing to do at that point but hope for instant wings.   I'll be back on the wheel soon!

10 minutes ago, Dzlchef said:

I got forced to the edge of the trail and snagged a pedal on the brush, nothing to do at that point but hope for instant wings.   I'll be back on the wheel soon!

Reminds me of my snow fence mishap. The wind forced the unfastened corner of the fence up as I passed. My pedal caught a square and spun me around. ...... On the plus side, I do really enjoy air time. It is the landing that gets you. 

21 hours ago, Heyzeus said:

8a09b2ff-1162-4b09-a4a9-5531c2c17f0b_1.8

Soak these in epoxy, let dry, insert fists, ride unicycle

Sorry my suggestion sucks, hope you heal fast

That's actually not as stupid as you think it is.  @EUC Extreme built something very similar for himself as he often takes high speed tumbles.  Maybe he'll see his name mentioned and post a few pics.

Actually, scratch that.  I just looked at some of his videos and the ONLY think not protected is his thumbs.

Wow, sorry to hear of your injury, and thanks for letting us know about another thing to worry about :cry2:  ;)

Sometimes I think there are freak accidents and no matter what we're wearing, we might get injured. I love my Flexmeters but I don't think they would protect against this.

6 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Wow, sorry to hear of your injury, and thanks for letting us know about another thing to worry about :cry2:  ;)

Sometimes I think there are freak accidents and no matter what we're wearing, we might get injured. I love my Flexmeters but I don't think they would protect against this.

It wouldn't protect against this injury.   My first digit got "caught", popped out and pulled behind the second digit.   You'd need a stiff brace to keep the finger/thumb from moving backwards.

10 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

and thanks for letting us know about another thing to worry about :cry2:  ;)

:roflmao:

As I hold my hands out in front of my face trying to imagine them sliding along the ground towards a rock of thin tree trunk, I can see the perils @Dzlchef is describing.  Ouch!  The only thing I can think of is binding the thumbs against the index fingers with something like a velcro strap.   At least that would be fairly easy to remove when you needed the use of opposible thumbs again.

It's been difficult finding a thumb guard that will work with wrist guards.   Finally found an option that I like but no e-commerce presence.   I've contacted the company in hopes of securing a pair in the U.S.   These are made by Level Glove.

7503AS_01_thumb_protector_black-1.jpg

18 minutes ago, Dzlchef said:

It's been difficult finding a thumb guard that will work with wrist guards.   Finally found an option that I like but no e-commerce presence.   I've contacted the company in hopes of securing a pair in the U.S.   These are made by Level Glove.

7503AS_01_thumb_protector_black-1.jpg

What is is supposed to do?  I can't see how this thumb prophylactic will prevent the injury you described.  Or did I misunderstand what you wrote?

19 minutes ago, Smoother said:

What is is supposed to do?  I can't see how this thumb prophylactic will prevent the injury you described.  Or did I misunderstand what you wrote?

It won't let the finger bend backwards, totally would have saved my thumb.

3 hours ago, Biped Phil said:

Would it transmit the stress up your arm so your whole shoulder would dislocate?

That would have to be a very hard impact.  I think it would keep everything intact during light to moderate contact.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/8/2019 at 11:49 PM, Dzlchef said:

I had to bail yesterday around 18 mph and ended up dislocating my left thumb.  I’ve always worn wrist guards +++, leaving my fingers the only thing exposed.  I haven’t heard of this injury before but felt that I should share.  It is brutally painful so I suggest avoiding if possible.

I’m looking for recommendations on thumb/wrist guards if anybody has a set they like?

Can’t wait to get back on the wheel.  I must be crazy!

On my only serious crash I dislocated my pinkie finger on the biggest knuckle of that finger. 

I think the only solution is to wear track-oriented motorcycle gloves. They have systems that restrict finger movements.

For example:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/knox-handroid-gloves

Archived