Going backwards

AlanR

Watching a 'how to start riding EUCs' the beginner within minutes of learning to go forward reverses and appears to have little difficulty reversing!!!

Well it isn't like that for me. Stopping and immediately reversing has worked for about 2 metres / yds but not progressing beyond that!

Anyone have suggestions on how to do it?

I can now manage 10-15 metres backwards but I started by just repetatively stop starting without putting my foot down, then I progressed to going back a few centemeters on each stop and just gradually increased the distance.

At first I didn't even try to look behind but as the distance increased I started looking sideways and gradually managed to look where I'm going in reverse.

Still not good enough to go long distances but hopefully I'm improving.

I found reversing easiest to start with though admittedly only a couple of metres. I think its because its easier to balance backwards initially, especially at low speed, then when you try forwards a bit faster it gets easier. This was day 1, havent really tried backwards since.

I can now manage 10-15 metres backwards but I started by just repetatively stop starting without putting my foot down, then I progressed to going back a few centemeters on each stop and just gradually increased the distance.

At first I didn't even try to look behind but as the distance increased I started looking sideways and gradually managed to look where I'm going in reverse.

Had a massive fall today going forward - moving quite slowly on a turn then the EUC just left me!!

Wrist guards tomorrow then I'll try your [Gimlet] tip "repetatively stop starting without putting my foot down" so, if I get that correct; moving forward, stop and immediately reverse?

Many of practising backwards and very slow in progress until I found one big key from "Gimlet" by stop starting without putting foot down (Thanks). His key made me very much enjoy and backwards in progress. I can make 1-3 meters and feel excite as riding EUC at first time. During backwards practising, I notice more 2 keys that suite for me and would like to share :

Key 1 : "Stop Starting" from "Gimlet". easier than start your foot from ground.

Key 2 : "Spread your Wing" arms help me feel more balance when make it wider. Keep my head forward without turn and stare a point.

Key 3 : "Knee Control" Control backwards speed with my knees instead of lean back. Lean body back causes strong speed and not easy for me to stay on stable ride.

With combination of the keys and practise are my favorite at this time.

Enjoy

Great to hear you're making progress. :)

At some point you are going to have to start looking around, i did when i got to about 3-4 metres, i started by just turning my head to the side a little and looking sideways, then i gradually increased the amount i turned my head.

Archived