So its my birthday tomorrow and guess what ๐Ÿ˜Š

stephen

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will tell you my situation and postcode bb9 6qd ito see if I can help your in Bradford then that's not to far away I have 2 chargers at the moment 1 is going with the z6 on Monday being collected so my z10 is charged I'll probably not be using it tomorrow if its raining but the weather looks good for Monday so I'll definitely be going for a spin then so I'll need to recharge late Monday night ready for Tuesday so if you want to come and collect it now I could leave it outside

ย 

I know what it is like getting a new z10 you have to go out on it whatever the weather so I can understand if you want to go out in the drizzle tomorrow but Ifย  your OK with waiting for your chargers to arrive andย  are happy using your msx until then that's greatย 

6 hours ago, Ju Reader said:

I will tell you my situation and postcode bb9 6qd ito see if I can help your in Bradford then that's not to far away I have 2 chargers at the moment 1 is going with the z6 on Monday being collected so my z10 is charged I'll probably not be using it tomorrow if its raining but the weather looks good for Monday so I'll definitely be going for a spin then so I'll need to recharge late Monday night ready for Tuesday so if you want to come and collect it now I could leave it outside

ย 

That's very kind I'll come now thx

Have you ridden the Z10 yet? What are your 1st impressions?ย 

I've had trouble getting this charged i had a little go in the pissing down rain and galeforce winds , when i first stood on itย  i turned the wrong way lol, very weird feelingย  , so yes and no lol, today i will have a ride around i might video it , I've put the mudguard on and the trolley handle , I've set the tyre to 30 psi , @Ju Readerย thx for loaning the charger much appreciated so today will be my first real try at 100% charge ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š the wheel looks awesome cause that's all I've been able to do sinceย  thursday lolย 

I now have a couple of chargers I bought on the way to me ๐Ÿ˜€

ย 

2 hours ago, stephen said:

I've had trouble getting this charged i had a little go in the pissing down rain and galeforce winds

No shit.ย  The winds been blowing so hard, at first I thought I was hearing jets taking off from Luton or Stanstead, both of which are many miles away.ย  It was only when I opened a window and almost had my shirt blown off, did the source of all the roaring become evident.:facepalm:ย Hey! it was dark, I couldn't see the trees outside laying down sideways.

ย  ย Good to hear you have new friends near by Your helpful countrymen remind me how small the UK is. If I had to find someone with a charger I would be out of luck. I would guess the closest charger would be our good friend @Girth Brooksย . He is 170 miles or 2 hours 20 minutesย away from me. That is the second nearest big city to me in the same state. Memphis would be 5 1/2 hours by interstate and I would still be in Tennessee. Atlanta is a little closer depending on traffic.ย 

ย  ย Being the adventurous person that I amย I found a theoretical solution for me in the same position. At work it is literally my job toย take on projects and solve problems that need a temporary solution NOW!! This one turns out to be quick and easy. I keep old power supplies out of habit. Laptop power supplies are usually discarded because the end that goes into the computer gets damaged. I cut the ends off and throwย them in a box. The Dell puts out 19.5 volts. I usually use a cheap step down to get the voltage I want. In this case three Dell power supplies in series gives you 58.5 volts. If you put them in series and use the end you have,ย you have a pretty good charger.ย 

"The Dell puts out 19.5 volts. I usually use a cheap step down to get the voltage I want. In this case three Dell power supplies in series gives you 58.5 volts. If you put them in series and use the end you have,ย you have a pretty good charger.ย " (my quote function isn't working for some reason)

@RockyTop I'm con foozed. How do you run three ac/dc converters in series?ย  If the output of unit one is 19.5Vdc, how can you input that to unit two which is expecting 110Vac, etc?

or are you doing some voodoo with the 6 dc tails, which I also don't understand.

The output is isolated. The outputย can be put in series just like batteries. Some power supplies,( very few,)ย use a common ground with the AC. This would need to be separated. I have never seen a computer power supply with a common ground. ย So with the three power supplies you would connect the positive of the first power supply to the positive on the EUC connector. the negative of the first to the positive of the second power supply. The negative of the second to the positive of the third and the negativeย of the third to the negative on the EUC connector. I

1 hour ago, RockyTop said:

The๏ปฟ Dell puts out 19.5 volts. I usually use a cheap step down to get the voltage I want. In this case three Dell power ๏ปฟsupplies in series gives you 58.5 volts. If you put them in ๏ปฟseries and use the end you have,ย you have a pretty good ๏ปฟcharger๏ปฟ

A liion charger needs to be a constant current source for the first charging phase which normal power supplies do not provide.

They just could be used for the second charging phase (cobstant voltage)

2 hours ago, Ju Reader said:

Did it not come with pads to protect itย 

Yes the z10 comes with protection pads didnt your z6 or z10?,,,, Wheels on charge again lol ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜

ย 

2 hours ago, Smoother said:

No๏ปฟ shit.ย  The winds been blowing so hard, at first I thought I was hearing jets taking off from Luton or Stanstead, both๏ปฟ of which are many miles away.ย  It was only when I opened๏ปฟ a ๏ปฟwindow and almost had my shirt blown off, did the source of all the roaring become evident.:facepalm:ย Hey! it was dark, I couldn't๏ปฟ see the trees outside laying down sideways.๏ปฟ

We've had trees blown over as well . It's been crazy weather, hope you get your shirt back ๐Ÿ˜‚

ย 

Good๏ปฟ to hear you have new friends near by Your helpful countrymen remind me how small the UK is. If I had to find someone with a charger I would be out of luck. I would guess the closest charger would be our good friend @Girth Brooksย . He is 170 miles or 2 hours 20 minutesย away from me.๏ปฟ That is the second nearest big city to me in the same state๏ปฟ. Memphis would be 5 1/2 hours by interstate and I ๏ปฟwould still be in Tennessee. Atlanta is a little closer๏ปฟ depending on traffic.ย 

I'd of travelled that far tbh i hate waiting ๐Ÿ˜Š

18 minutes ago, Chriull said:

A liion charger needs to be a constant current source for the first charging phase which normal power supplies do not provide.

They just could be used for the second charging phase (cobstant voltage)

Is that a constant current or a more perfect DC signal? I have not checked the signal on the oscilloscope before. I have used the Dell laptop charger to charge lithium ion before without any problems. 18 volt drill batteries.ย 

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

@RockyTop

@Chriullย All Lap top batteries are 18650 li Ion, so wouldn't their chargers charge correctly for the battery type?

Ah - so the "charging" logic could be integrated in the power supply, too!

57 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

Is that a constant current or a more perfect DC signal? I have not checked the signal on the oscilloscope before. I have used the Dell laptop charger to charge lithium ion before without any problems. 18 volt drill batteries.ย 

... making this perfectly working out...

So hears my real first outing ย ,I think my legs needย conditioning to the z10,smooth at all speeds,360turning=๐Ÿ˜love it,looks spot on,battery ,,,well weโ€™ll see not had 100% yet Iโ€™ll balance the batteries tonight ,as for now im going back out before dark ,hereโ€™s alittle vid,i need an external mic ,talky no goody in windy๐Ÿคช

ย 

Impressed๏ปฟย with the lights on the z10 , nice and wide i think mine is the new batch with corrected angle of beamย ๐Ÿ˜Š๏ปฟ

ย 

2 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Ah - so the "charging" logic could be integrated in the power supply, too!

I'm not really sure. The 60 or so lap top batteries I have personally opened all had some form of circuitry inside, but I don't know what function it performed (BMS I assume) vs what the charger did. But our batteries have BMS's too so it's possible we are replacing one with the other. However, if you're not trying to charge up and through the balance phase, wouldn't anyย appropriate current riding on the back of an appropriate voltage, work up to 85-90%? Your electronic knowledge is 10 times more than mine, so I defer to your opinion.

22 minutes ago, Smoother said:

I'm not really sure. The 60 or so lap top batteries I have personally opened all had some form of circuitry inside, but I don't know what function it performed (BMS I assume) vs what the charger did. But our batteries have BMS's too so it's possible we are replacing one with the other.

Could be perfect guess - bms with the batteries and charging logic in the power supply, as we are used to it from our wherels, especially as

I๏ปฟ have used the Dell laptop charger to charge lithium ion before๏ปฟ without any ๏ปฟproblems

22 minutes ago, Smoother said:

However, if you're not trying to charge up and through the balance phase, wouldn't anyย appropriate current riding on the back of an appropriate voltage, work up to 85-90%? Your electronic knowledge is 10 times more than mine, so I defer to your opinion.

Charging of li ions works like this:

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

ย  It looks like the biggest danger would be leaving the charger hooked up after the batteries are fully charged.ย 

ย  I am not suggesting that anyone use this as a permanentย charger. If I did this I would chargeย up to maybe 90% and disconnect. I have been changing 18 v lithium ion batteries with 19.5 volt the Dell laptop power supply for several years. Myย alternative was to toss the drill in the trash because I was not willing to pay $150 for for a charger when theย drillย cost $200 new with a charger.

ย ย 

Wow you look really comfortable on the Z! Thanks for the vid. I really like the way you have to ride the Z, reminds me of hanging off motorcycles in my younger years. I think I could really get used to that style of riding.

Not even received my V5F yet but I am already looking at the Z series. Damn this forum!

4 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Wow you look really comfortable on the Z! Thanks for the vid. I really like the way you have to ride the Z, reminds me of hanging off motorcycles in my younger years. I think I could really get used to that style of riding.

Not even received my V5F yet but I am already looking at the Z series. Damn this forum!

Yes that's why i wanted a Z10 because of my motorbike days ๐Ÿ˜Š only my first day I'm sure my riding style will kick in so it's more natural,, thx

Funnily enough, your '1st day EUC' vid (on a KS16 I think) was one of the first I saw when I came across this forum, looking for newbie help vids. It's amazing how you have gone from that 1st day to seeing you ride the Z10 with total control and confidence. Gives me hope!

Archived