EUCs, cars and the novelty risk factor (aka are we our own worst enemy?)

On 8/3/2019 at 12:54 AM, MetricUSA said:

I had my first car incident, last night going home from work....11:10 pm and the car t-bones me as he made a left hand turn (WITH NO SIGNAL) I had no chance to even respond to his actions, hits me on the left side (felt more like a low tackle) I go flying over hood and head (yes I wear full face shiny orange chrome helmet) hits pavement first, then shoulder then hips, with two small road rash on arm and leg... Didn't move and could not stand hips hurt like hell...to broken bones but all my right side is aching with pain....some how my 18xl was not harmed but was dragged underneath the car....after two hours at hospital ride euc home....very slowly...

I need to get picture of my getup.....yellow vests, all my blinking leds, headband light, extra reflective parts, a reflective driveway marker, and I keep 18xl flashing headlights on, and it's flashing side LEDs....and yet the fucking fool said he say 'something' before hitting me!!!

Sorry this happened to you and I wish you a speedy recovery. You did everything right, but unfortunately drivers are mainly looking out for other drivers and we are mostly invisible to them.

I adopt the motorcyclist adage wherein I assume every driver cannot see me, and assume if there is a car there, it may just turn into me or cut me off. Basically that all cars are autonomous and in any impact i will lose, so give them a wide berth and assume they will just run me over if I'm in the way.

This only helps I I see the car though, and I never ride at night except in the winter when it's dark on my way to work.

It's a dangerous hobby without a doubt, especially for those of us who have to ride near traffic.

• Like 1

@LanghamP Is it necessary to have combative arguments with a rattled guy who just had a scary accident that resulted in broken bones?

@MetricUSA He wasn't actually blaming you or anything. Just pointed out how ridiculous the state of things and law is in the US regarding cars vs. pedestrians (and anything else). In a very combative way, e.g. by pretending your very involved visibility measures are still not considered enough, like it was you who were to blame for not being seen (which is the "official" position in reality). That's kind of his hobby (which you can hardly know) and he isn't wrong, and he's on your side. But it wasn't exactly the empathic thing to do in this situation, very obviously.

Also, keep the language civil anyways. Don't worry about it, I edited out the unnecessary stuff, just for the future.

Hoping you get better soon and this didn't sour you on EUC riding. Keep us updated how it goes for you.

Did you involve the police? I would always do that right away if a car hits a person, even if the situation is heavily biased against you.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 10:41 PM, who_the said:

You're 100% right, most people/drivers have never still seen an EUC before and aren't sure how to react. That doesn't excuse them, however, from acting indifferently, dangerously, or even violently, toward you. Always assume someone will do the worst possible thing of all their options.

As the saying goes, lots of good, smart people who "had the right of way" are now in coffins. Let's keep ourselves above ground as long as possible. :)

Enjoy the 18XL!

My dad always says it's better to be wrong than dead right.