Mileage poll

Smoother

If you want to comment on your actual mileage (kilometerage?) and model, or anything related, feel free.  Ther's just not enough time in the day for me to research every brand/model/battery size/motor size combination and then create an option for them.

Mod edit: sorry, this poll became corrupted in 2023 during a merge, and isn't visible anymore :( 

Edited by RagingGrandpa
(restored title)
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Smoother said:

I wanted to gather make and model data too but this is not a template for a proper survey complete with cross-tabulated results, so it will have to do as a basic one question, question.

I decided to make that for you, I can add/remove/edit questions or make you a collaborator so you can do it (email needed)
https://goo.gl/forms/uAHPuOoZ1ujt0L7f1

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Esper said:

I decided to make that for you, I can add/remove/edit questions or make you a collaborator so you can do it (email needed)
https://goo.gl/forms/uAHPuOoZ1ujt0L7f1

Nice, Where does the data go?

I'll add a brand question, no meoels though; too many permutations.

Edited by Smoother

6 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Nice, Where does the data go?

I'll add a brand question, no meoels though; too many permutations.

It shows up in a second tab, or I can export it to a spreadsheet

Edit: I updated the second question to add Brand as a checkbox.
Edit 2: Tested and wiped records so that the data is accurate.

Edited by Esper
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Esper said:

It shows up in a second tab, or I can export it to a spreadsheet

Edit: I updated the second question to add Brand as a checkbox.
Edit 2: Tested and wiped records so that the data is accurate.

Thanks.  I'm not planning on  doing a masters thesis on this :D, just thought it would be interesting to see how far some of these wheels/riders have traveled.  To share with everyone.

Edited by Smoother
  • Upvote 1

If you use the DarknessBot app. You can go to the ratings section to see the high mileage wheels on DarknessBot. (7,522.4 miles) The top 10 spots are currently “GotWay” and “InMotion V8” . Given that most of the top wheels are GotWay, I wish that you could see the models like you can on all the other brands. The frustrating part is that you can only look at “all models” or “your model”. So if I want to switch from Gotway to Kingsong I would have to connect to the wheel first. 

I should be crossing 2500 miles on my MSX this week. Its been my daily driver since the release and I haven't had any problems. I just replaced the grip tape two nights ago!

The Nike swoosh is almost completely gone from the tire and my shell has looked a lot better. But still provides a flawless ride rain or shine. 

I also put 800 miles on an MCM4 before this. Looking back, I have no idea how I rode around the city on that thing.  

• Upvote 2

I keep thinking my MSuper will eventually surpass my KS16S but that doesn't seem to be the case at all, as evidently many slow rides outweigh the fewer longer and faster rides.

3000 plus miles on the KS16, with three grip tape changes and two tire changes (third tire, 4th innertube). Surprisingly it doesn't even look particularly worn, with barely scratched pedals and a handle with a thumb print worn into it.

1200 on my Inmotion V5.

~1000 on the MSuper.

1500 on my KS14c.

600 on my Segway S1, with a supected broken axle.

• Upvote 1

2x wheels (MSV3's) collapsed and died at ~3,900 & ~ 4,200 miles respectively. I should hit 3,000 on my MSX this weekend with @Marty Backe in Long Beach, still going very strong. Tesla made it nearly to 5,000, though my wife logged most of those miles. With a few thousand total on a V8, KS14, and a couple of others, I figure I'm closing in on 15,000 miles overall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, who_the said:

2x wheels (MSV3's) collapsed and died at ~3,900 & ~ 4,200 miles respectively. I should hit 3,000 on my MSX this weekend with @Marty Backe in Long Beach, still going very strong. Tesla made it nearly to 5,000, though my wife logged most of those miles. With a few thousand total on a V8, KS14, and a couple of others, I figure I'm closing in on 15,000 miles overall.

what was the cause of the failures?

At that many miles was it just control board.  

Or was it motor/battery?

I'd be curious to know what's usually the thing that goes on these higher mileage EUC's.

Stalling out at 20mph on an euc could be much scarier than I imagine your engine cutting out on a motorcycle that breaks down would be.

I wonder if there would be a way to build a redundant or fault tolerant board that could tell when it was about to fail and automatically slow down and send out a beep code when they try and turn it back on that basically says "Hey, my component is near EOL, replace me before you can ride more"

I'd also be curious to know what the expected life is of some of these components.  If you have a unicycle that can go 50 miles on a charge, then 3000 miles is only 60 full charges and discharges.  Let's say 70 cycles on the battery to be generous, well if a battery is expected to have 500 cycles of life before being at say 80% origininal capacity then you still have quite a bit of good battery life in it.  In theory.

There's no oil to change, so does the motor ever go bad from melted wires or rust from elemental exposure and if that's a mostly contained system than what's the main cause of failure.

I wonder if it would get to the point where they just recommend a control board change every X thousand miles.

Edited by Heyzeus
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Heyzeus said:

what was the cause of the failures?

My first MSV3 (early build) died when the shell and axle basically failed simultaneously. The axle sheared off (at no speed, thank goodness) and the plastic around the pedal hangers was cracked and dangerously compromised. On the second (late build, HB motor, larger axle) the shims/hangers came loose and also the shell cracked along the pedal hangers. (I've had this second MSV3 rebuilt, though some nagging issues have kept it from returning to service just yet. The Tesla was done in by a bent rim (not me) and shorting out the power socket (also not me).

Motor failures: 0. Control board failures: 0. Catastrophic failures at speed: 0. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

14 hours ago, who_the said:

Motor failures: 0. Control board failures: 0. Catastrophic failures at speed: 0.

That's good to know that the electronics weren't what failed.

I wonder if the primary failure point on a lot of these unicycles is just wear and tear due to getting thrown around, crashed, etc.  They certainly can take a beating over time.

Frankly i'm amazed that the larger battery packs and their BMS' can survive the impacts and rotational forces upon impact that they do. 

Like I see a crash like this:

And even smaller but repeated crashes when learning on my ninebot c+ and would think that the rotational forces on the battery pack and the amount of flexing in it must be insane.  (though I am not an engineer so what do I know)

I don't know how larger heavier battery packs like these: GW-Battery-Pack-800Wh.jpg

Survives such impacts without flexing enough that the spot welds on the individual cells break or that the BMS breaks.  But they seem to I guess?

I imagine it's hard to get good data on endurance and age related failures since the community is relatively new (few years or so now right) and the tech has been evolving rapidly so everyone seems to potentially be selling their old wheels to upgrade and get the latest shiny tech and so there isn't much data on how many miles some of these older wheels can get.

On one hand that's good because since the field is so new, any upgrade to a new wheel is likely to a better and safer wheel than any previous wheels, on the other hand it makes it hard to get reliability data as wheels are put out to pasture before their time or sold off used to people new to it to use as training wheels where they will obviously have a much lower life span due to the extra beating a training wheel would take.  (though this is speculation on my part from the impression I get reading posts here, i'm far too new to all this to talk with any authority so take what I say with a grain of salt)

Edited by Heyzeus

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

3 wheels, which all have 10-15kkm on the clock.

Last mile commuting wheel: Tesla v1 15000km. Mileage increasing slow.

Long ride wheel: Msx 84v 11000km. Mileage increasing fast.

Old commuter: V8 13000km. Near zero mileage increase. Backup commuter (main wheel is under maintenance), or wheel I take when cityjumping with family.

All wheels still use the original cells and bms. Only the V8 had a battery failure that I had to repair.

I've got no itch to upgrade really. So I'll report back here when the Tesla has 20.000km and MSX 30.000km :D

I'm hoping to finish my add on battery pack this summer. It's a 10kg 2600Wh 84v pack. With 1600+2600Wh with me the MSX can do some really long rides. Just learned seated riding too.

Edited by alcatraz