My scooter experiences so far!

Duf

Hey Duf... thanks for the videos . Im researching Mini Motors and the Dualtron line , planning a Dualtron Thunder purchase, once Ive calmed my pre-buyers remorse . As an ole Goped "kid"  that wheel/ tire  design (similiar to the split rims on the ESR 750 ex ) looks real familiar ... i remember reading Minimotors Purchased Goped .  If you increase the tire pressure to at least the 45 lbs.  You will see a Big improvement in range .  Thanks again for Your vids  

14 hours ago, 4jacksman said:

Hey Duf... thanks for the videos . Im researching Mini Motors and the Dualtron line , planning a Dualtron Thunder purchase, once Ive calmed my pre-buyers remorse . As an ole Goped "kid"  that wheel/ tire  design (similiar to the split rims on the ESR 750 ex ) looks real familiar ... i remember reading Minimotors Purchased Goped .  If you increase the tire pressure to at least the 45 lbs.  You will see a Big improvement in range .  Thanks again for Your vids  

Check this out for further consideration :)  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 4jacksman said:

I have a Thunder. I would have spent as much as $500 more for it (paid $3800), now that I've actually ridden it for months.

Thunder has a one-piece rim. It's a biotch to change tires or fix a flat. -- I've done it. I've also done it on an Ultra with the split rim, tubed tire. Much, much, much easier. For tjhe life of me I don't get what the big "upgrade" the single rim, tubeless tire is that MM touts in the marketing literature for the Thunder and the III.

5 hours ago, Duf said:

Check this out for further consideration :)

Cool, did you GPS test it? It looks fast, but maybe not quite 90+KPH fast. These scooters are using similar Dashboards, the P0 setting (same as the DTs) specifies Wheel diameter, if it's off from true, the relative speed could be off the mark. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Cool, did you GPS test it? It looks fast, but maybe not quite 90+KPH fast. These scooters are using similar Dashboards, the P0 setting (same as the DTs) specifies Wheel diameter, if it's off from true, the relative speed could be off the mark. 

I will GPS test it.  Yep the wheel diameter in the controller is correctly set to 11 inch diameter.

Edited by Duf
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, dwallersv said:

I have a Thunder. I would have spent as much as $500 more for it (paid $3800), now that I've actually ridden it for months.

Thunder has a one-piece rim. It's a biotch to change tires or fix a flat. -- I've done it. I've also done it on an Ultra with the split rim, tubed tire. Much, much, much easier. For tjhe life of me I don't get what the big "upgrade" the single rim, tubeless tire is that MM touts in the marketing literature for the Thunder and the III.

I did not know the Thunder used a different wheel design, that is dumb.  Changing a flat on my Dualtron II Ex was a piece of cake because of the split hub design, no idea why they would go away from it unless the fatter tire makes it problematic.

3 hours ago, Duf said:

I did not know the Thunder used a different wheel design, that is dumb.  Changing a flat on my Dualtron II Ex was a piece of cake because of the split hub design, no idea why they would go away from it unless the fatter tire makes it problematic.

I don't get it either. I have an Ultra too, and it's basically the same ride without some bells and whistles. In terms of the motors and wheel size, they're the same. But the Ultra has the split rim, which made putting street tires on the Ultra (comes with off-road knobbies) was a piece of cake.

I love the Thunder -- like it more than the Ultra, except that rim. HATE that. Enough that after fixing a flat and having it slow-leak, I just bought a new tire/rim set, the rim only adds $15. Believe me, avoiding the time and frustration dealing with a tire issue on the Thunder (or III) is worth $15, even if you're on food stamps. :D

Edited by dwallersv
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Dualtron Thunder does 55MPH. I was on a 4 lane 55MPH road in Virginia Beach VA keeping up with cars, and those in the far left were only slowly passing me as everyone goes 5 over on that road (60mph)

Edited by Darrell Wesh

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/10/2019 at 5:27 AM, Duf said:

:dribble: With respect to you 2 experienced guys ...l don't take delivery of my Dualtron 3 until next month ...l research everything to death, so l presume l know the answer.

l seem to remember Tubeless are ribbed internally & built tougher ...smaller scooter tyres absolutely definitely require a professional tyre-machine to take-off & fit them on rims ...yes, a lot of people are buying spare replacement tubeless e-scooter tyres already fitted on the rims for convenience ...scooter shops that deal in petrol & also electric scooters, pev's have had tyre machines for years, while bicycle stores that also sell/repair electric scooters don't and are blissfully unaware that they will shortly be investing in tyre-machines, like it or not.

WHY ??? ...you're supposed to use a tubeless tyre repair kit to fix punctures ...ream-out nail-holes with a reamer & insert a vulcanized plug ...and do-it-yourself like a lot of truck-drivers & motorbike riders do ...the idea is you just fix the puncture without touching anything else.

Tubeless & also "stolid" tyres are the new tire technologies that will eventually replace inner-tubes completely ...tubeless tyres "pop" & slide into place onto special one-piece tubeless rims when inflated ...sometimes the rim-lip needs to be smeared with a non-greasy "goo" to stop slow-leaks & there are special "sudden" air inflators for tubeless bicycle tyres ...some people pour that "no leaks/punctures" cr*p inside tubeless for a few months of puncture-free travel, but it has to be repeated/refilled regularly.