[EcoDrift.ru] Gotway MCM5, MSX, Tesla Comparison (Motors & Controllers)

Thanks for posting this.

The MCM5 is a special wheel. And I know very few people take it up the kind of hills that I have, but I can tell everyone that the MCM5 is the most amazing steep hill climbing wheel ever made.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They released in 2018 a version very slightly improved with a new motherboard and adds a fan and increases the surface of the heat sink. In addition, with the new motherboard there are new modes for LEDs. 

https://fr.aliexpress.com/store/product/New-GotWay-Tesla-electric-unicycle-CPU-control-board-replacement-mainboard-84V-67-2V-EUC-mainboard-upgrade/3896031_32879870523.html

HTB1wVHIbcrrK1RjSspaq6AREXXaO.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 3/4/2019 at 11:39 AM, ElectriQ User said:

I looked to control board for Tesla, it has just one fan, it is safe? I saw that the previous version had two fans on the backside.

I'd claim that the package-size / amount of power transistors and size / surface area (/ weight / heat capacity) of the heatsink are more important. Ideally, no fans would be needed at all (and many wheels don't have any), as they add a new failure point (mechanical moving parts) vs. plain passive cooling.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, KingOsmos said:

Why does the MCM5 board have 4 capacitors and the Tesla has just 2? Any ideas?

My guess would be space issues, board size and how much room is there in the mainboard compartment. The MCM5 board has four 470uF caps in parallel = 1880uF (well, those caps have a tolerance of something like +-20%, but thereabouts ;)), while the Tesla board has two 1000uF caps = 2000uF. More caps in parallel does drop the ESR (resistance) of the caps , so theoretically more smaller caps in parallel could provide higher amperage, but since no-one's complaining that the wheels don't have enough power, it likely isn't that much of an issue either way :P   

AFAIK, the caps are there to provide the high current spikes when the motor coils are being turned on, the momentary (nano/microseconds) amperage can hit very high numbers (100's of A, if not 1000), which couldn't be provided "all the way" from the batteries, because of resistances added by all the wiring and connectors in-between. Also they'll likely take the worst voltage spikes off coming back from the motor(?). Usual symptom of a failed / bad caps in the mainboard is loss of torque (if not outright failure of the board, if they fail in short circuit for example).

Edited by esaj
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

If the MCM5 and tesla are so similar (including possibly the same ports on the board) is it not theoretically possible to take the cut off switch on the MCM5 and mount it to the Tesla (obvs have to cut the handle to fit)?

I am entertaining this possibility. It would really help my Tesla become more tamed.

Since spares seem to be available via aliexpress then it could be a goer.

12 minutes ago, rinzler said:

If the MCM5 and tesla are so similar (including possibly the same ports on the board) is it not theoretically possible to take the cut off switch on the MCM5 and mount it to the Tesla (obvs have to cut the handle to fit)?

I am entertaining this possibility. It would really help my Tesla become more tamed.

Since spares seem to be available via aliexpress then it could be a goer.

The MCM5 handle dimensions / button plate are wider than the thinner Tesla handle I believe.

You might as well do the DIY with the button they're fitting on the 2019 Tesla v2

HTB1BBIXSIfpK1RjSZFOq6y6nFXan.jpgHTB1RJvUSSzqK1RjSZFLq6An2XXaa.jpg

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

I'm looking for some badass bearings for my msx. German or Swiss made? I've got almost 3000miles on the first factory set but now I'm Back to the old ninebot...... There's no comparison. Please, gimme a lead or I'm doing the OEM Monday

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...