Hsiang

Will the EUC be the Transporation Revolution that the Segway fail to achieve?

1 hour ago, Nic said:

That Segway was behaving exactly as designed ... after running one wheel up the barrier, the cameraman tried to hold his balance by putting his weight onto his right foot and towards the front of the tilted Segway, which then accelerated. This is how its meant to work. I suppose its possible to train yourself to better deal with these types of situations when they happen rather than reacting instinctively and causing your Segway to accelerate. The cameraman wasn't exactly looking where he was going.

Usain Bolt Segway.jpg

That’s fine and all that the Segway was working, but the point we’re making is that this “behavior” is unnatural and highly dangerous. You can’t out train instinct, and instinct is going to tell you to do everything the cameraman did and on a Segway it will spell disaster. Once you lose your balance you only have milliseconds to rebalance. Your brain is not going to work that fast so instinct will take over. What you would naturally do to regain balance is what doesn’t work on a Segway which is a huge flaw in terms of ergonomic performance and dangerous when the machine doesn’t work with the human. 

Edited by Darrell Wesh

3 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

That’s fine and all that the Segway was working, but the point we’re making is that this “behavior” is unnatural and highly dangerous. You can’t out train instinct, and instinct is going to tell you to do everything the cameraman did and on a Segway it will spell disaster. Once you lose your balance you only have milliseconds to rebalance. Your brain is not going to work that fast so instinct will take over. What you would naturally do to regain balance is what doesn’t work on a Segway which is a huge flaw in terms of ergonomic performance and dangerous when the machine doesn’t work with the human. 

Yes, but the cameraman wasn't looking where he was going and so was unprepared to deal with the situation.

21 minutes ago, Nic said:

Yes, but the cameraman wasn't looking where he was going and so was unprepared to deal with the situation.

He was looking through the camera and at where he was going. Have you ridden a Segway before? Even if he had been looking with his own eyes and not fiddling with a camera he would still have likely clipped the support bits sticking out from the rail. 

That problem is because the wheels are to the outside of your feet so you have very little spatial awareness of if you’re going to hit something in close situations. Combine that with extreme steering sensitivity, the knee bar steering is far too sensitive and even the slightest nudge in one direction can have you doing a 90 degree turn. 

Edited by Darrell Wesh

11 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

He was looking through the camera and at where he was going.

Multi-tasking ... only women are good at that.:whistling:

• Upvote 1

I have a miniPro that I no longer ride..... won’t do it again now that I am on an EUC.  Everything seems backwards on that device now.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, IRK said:

I have a miniPro that I no longer ride..... won’t do it again now that I am on an EUC.  Everything seems backwards on that device now.

Haha that’s how I felt- complete opposite brain movement patterns. don’t just toss it! Buy the handlebar and you can ride it without being confused or have someone ride that while you ride the EUC

On 2/13/2019 at 6:11 PM, Hsiang said:

I think the fact that the segway is "easy to learn" is actually a strike against it since anything that is "beginner friendly"; like a bicycle with training wheel also implies that it is juvenile. Which its speed limit also reinforces, I still ride the i5 and that 12.5mph limit is a real drag, you're slower than regular commuter bike speed and will be blocking everyone in the bike lane, and riding around on sidewalk at walking speed just seem completely redundant.

The fact that juvenile items should be beginner-friendly does not mean everything beginner-friendly is juvenile.

A better analogy would be comparing a 2-wheeled motorcycle to the 3-wheeled Can-Am Spyder.  The fact the latter is wider and inherently more stable doesn't make it juvenile, it's just a different take on a related product.  Some people like one, some like the other.  There are tradeoffs to each.

If you guys have Segway minis gathering dust in a closet because you hate them so much, I'm open to donations so I can witness their terribleness firsthand!  My earlier comparison was (I think?) to the original Segway units that had the handlebars.  That doesn't mean accidents can't happen, but it seems like it would inspire more confidence to have a giant lever you're holding onto at all times, since you can more easily overcome the torque from road imperfections, etc.

Edited by pst
  • Like 1