Will the EUC be the Transporation Revolution that the Segway fail to achieve?

Hsiang

Generalizing America based on some rare situations in very particular areas is basically like saying all of Europe is exactly the same.

I've lived in Arizona, Texas, Ohio, New Jersey, California, Oklahoma, Florida, and Alaska. All very different, could pretty much be different countries as far as I'm concerned.

45-55 mph roads next to unprotected sidewalks is not common at all (Only place I've experienced this was Highway 1 by Big Sur and Malibu and some rare parts of Vegas)

Even simple stuff Like bike laws and fundamental traffic laws vary more state to state than they do country to country in Europe.

You guys are getting into some weird obscure non-relevant arguments considering what this thread is about.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Larryyla said:

Proper risk analysis will compare miles traveled per person and I'm sure you will find the Cessna is the safest mode of travel of those discussed here. And it is quite obvious to me that in any activity where injury is possible, skill level makes all the difference.

Don't most general aviation enthusiast just land at the same airport they take off from? Miles travelled = 0.

On a per trip and on a per hour basis, general aviation is at least ten times more dangerous than driving a car. GA is unforgiving.

7 hours ago, Larryyla said:

Proper risk analysis will compare miles traveled per person and I'm sure you will find the Cessna is the safest mode of travel of those discussed here.

You shouldn't.

7 hours ago, Larryyla said:

As long as we have that, we will not have a "bolshevik revolution"

LOL, good for you. To me it's hard to believe that people can believe that gun ownership will prevent authoritarian takeovers of democracies in this day and age.

I'm with @tenofnine on this one.  I lived in quite a few places in the US, and the amount of shooting one hears ranges from none-ever, to @Girth Brooks 1,000 round automatic fest.  I know many people in the US who do not own a gun and have never owned a gun.  They go to church on Sunday, join a bridge group on Wednesday afternoon, and volunteer at a charity shop on a Monday.  TV and film give the rest of the world a distorted view of America.  You can live any life you wish, be it with or without guns, it's your choice, mostly.  If you are trapped in a bad neighborhood by poverty, life can be very stressful, that's obvious, but there are neighborhoods like that all over the world. When I was in the south of France for a month, I would not visit Marseilles; just too dangerous for me, And whole swathes of London are as dangerous as anywhere you could imagine. Maybe not so many guns, but violent and scary none the less.

I had a piece of land in the country in Texas (about 20 acres) and I could shoot whatever I wanted to, and some days we did.  My neighbor across the creek seemed to be into big game hunting because occasionally I could here him practicing (Boom...Boom....boom), but I never felt threatened or in danger; I was curious what caliber he was shooting :)

Look at @Marty Backe videos and tell me how many gun shots you hear or muggings you see.  Ok, duf's neighbor shoots for recreation, from time to time, but it's legal in the country, and Duf lives in the country.

America can be a fantastic place or a shit hole, and everything in between, no country is perfect. 

I have to admin my comment about crazy Yankees was a bit tongue in cheek. While I truly did a stand in facepalm on behalf of whoever planned that road, I am very well aware that there is a "U" in the US of A. Comparatively it is like treating the whole of EU like a single country, even though there is a slight difference between let's say Sicily in Italy, and Sjælland in Denmark...

29 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

I am very well aware that there is a "U" in the US of A. Comparatively it is like treating the whole of EU like a single country

Well, it actually isn't very hard:

how-europe-views-the-us.png

16 hours ago, Mono said:

LOL, good for you. To me it's hard to believe that people can believe that gun ownership will prevent authoritarian takeovers of democracies in this day and age.

Indeed, it will also take an informed people willing to use their guns to defend their freedom. Many Americans are willing but lack the knowledge of their true enemy.

3 hours ago, Scatcat said:

I have to admin my comment about crazy Yankees was a bit tongue in cheek. While I truly did a stand in facepalm on behalf of whoever planned that road, I am very well aware that there is a "U" in the US of A. Comparatively it is like treating the whole of EU like a single country, even though there is a slight difference between let's say Sicily in Italy, and Sjælland in Denmark...

This is a more nuanced approach to thinking we just have Texas, CA, and NY.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/upshot/election-2016-voting-precinct-maps.html

Basically we have urban versus suburban (rural population is so small as to be virtually irrelevant).

The UK has recently completed a report on the future of mobility in the UK...

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/future-of-mobility

It barely mentions e-scooters and makes me feel that there is a complete lack of vision in the UK Department for Transport (DfT) ... they seem to be more concerned about loss of tax revenue from fuel duty when moving to electric vehicles. I hope they are still going to look into legalising PLEVs and don't continue to ignore this space. We don't all want to be riding e-bikes.

17 minutes ago, Nic said:

The UK has recently completed a report on the future of mobility in the UK...

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/future-of-mobility

It barely mentions e-scooters and makes me feel that there is a complete lack of vision in the UK Department for Transport (DfT) ... they seem to be more concerned about loss of tax revenue from fuel duty when moving to electric vehicles. I hope they are still going to look into legalising PLEVs and don't continue to ignore this space. We don't all want to be riding e-bikes.

ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY SIX PAGES !!!! Is there a Cliff's Notes version?

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY SIX PAGES !!!! Is there a Cliff's Notes version?

Just search for terms like 'e-scooter' and you'll find the relevant bits...

On 3/8/2019 at 11:50 PM, tenofnine said:

It supposedly is called a Skate Bike (unicycle), 1960's invention that was a Unicycle with training wheels.

Coincidentally, the Monkees episode this screenshot was grabbed from aired a week or two ago.  A search for "monkees unicycle" will show several more images of surprisingly high resolution.

49 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

Brass B*lls... ;) 

:D I was wondering if that's what you meant.  I actually Googled Pensacola and brass to see if I was missing something.  Turns out there is a connection, which confused me more.

22 hours ago, Smoother said:

:D I was wondering if that's what you meant.  I actually Googled Pensacola and brass to see if I was missing something.  Turns out there is a connection, which confused me more.

You Yankees always talks about big brass ones, so I thought there must be something there ;) 

Archived