Power cut out on a new V8

Mono

Today my new V8 (two weeks) cut out under me when I made a strong backward acceleration out of idling (at very low speed). I could feel the pedals giving in and then it apparently switched off. That's how it felt and that's what it was when I picked it up: off. That has never happened with my old V8 bought in 2016, so I wonder whether the firmware changed or whether I was so much gentler these good old days.

7 minutes ago, Mono said:

Today my new V8 (two weeks) cut out under me when I made a strong backward acceleration out of idling (at very low speed). I could feel the pedals giving in and then it apparently switched off. That's how it felt and that's what it was when I picked it up: off. That has never happened with my old V8 bought in 2016, so I wonder whether the firmware changed or whether I was so much gentler these good old days.

The battery charges fully and has full capacity? Could also be bad luck with some not so good cells in the pack?

Also some bad connections/wirings could maybe inflict this?

Besides the points you already mentioned!

The battery is in good shape, as far as I can tell. I made a strong move, so I am not surprised that I hit the power limits, I am just surprised that it shut off in the process.

Edited by Mono
  • Like 1

not surprising at all seeing how it has a measly 800W motor.. i would suspect you just went beyond the limits too quickly... ive done the same thing on my ninebot numerous times if it cant provide any more power it cant provide any more power xD its only a 500W motor but im way below the average rider weight and have no problem overpowering it if i want to

1 hour ago, Mono said:

The battery is in good shape, as far as I can tell. I made a strong move, so I am not surprised that I hit the power limits, I am just surprised that it shut off in the process.

Ups sorry - you meant a real cut off and not just an overlean! These expressions get mixed up all the times here so i am getting unperceptive...

Such a real cut off should only be possible by some overcurrent or undervoltage bms cut off? Could you restart the wheel with the power button or did it need to be reset by a battery disconnect or plugging in the charger?

Or a brown out of the cpu due too much voltage sag - but in this case the cpu should have restarted after the battery recovered again. If it does not wait for the power button to be pressed at the start up sequence...

3 hours ago, Mono said:

Maybe old stock.  Battery is bad sitting around for 2-3 years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chriull said:

Could you restart the wheel with the power button or did it need to be reset by a battery disconnect or plugging in the charger?

Just turned it on again and off I went.

On 2/3/2019 at 11:42 PM, Mono said:

Man you've scared me.  I have a (supposed) new V8 too.   Never ridden yet.  I'll follow the developments of your problem.

• 9 months later...
On 2/3/2019 at 2:42 PM, Mono said:

It happened to me today. I wasn't going backward though...I was just accelerating from a stop - not leaning hard. It threw me to the ground - fortunately I was in a protected bike lane and I was wearing gear - and wouldn't turn back on. I had to take a taxi home. Then it spontaneously turned on an hour later and battery shows 92%. I am not happy about this at all.

• Like 1

So far it did not happened to me again. From hindsight I figured that I might have tilted the wheel beyond the limit and then it might have span out and then turn off while I collected my bones.

11 hours ago, Dan Travers said:

It happened to me today. I wasn't going backward though...I was just accelerating from a stop - not leaning hard. It threw me to the ground - fortunately I was in a protected bike lane and I was wearing gear - and wouldn't turn back on. I had to take a taxi home. Then it spontaneously turned on an hour later and battery shows 92%. I am not happy about this at all.

Very strange.

• Like 1

How many years old and how many km has your V8 done?

How many years old and how many km has your battery done?

I'm asking to try and trace it to the battery or the machine.

I'm running 1.09 firmware on mine under the whole 10.000km that I've done. It's only cutout once and at high speed.

Not sure if it’s at all the same thing but I’m having what seems like throttling with my V10 (I just made a “tilt back” topic with a full description of my issue and wonder if it’s at all related? Sorry in advance - I’m a rookie and still feeling this whole thing out!