How to learn reverse riding

Unventor

On 2/4/2019 at 12:23 PM, Mike Sacristan said:

I still have a long way to go but the worst part is over.

Yes, you are on your way...

Did you set it to Hard (i.e.sensitivity 0) or Soft?   I would use Hard if I were you ;)  

Here is a video of a practice session in November 2017, when I had the gym in winter.

The idea is to completely decouple direction of the head and shoulder to the direction of motion.

So a little update. The input so far lead me to rething the project of learning new skills. Instead of doing this on a second wheel, I am going to do at least beginning by using my KS18L.

But I order a wheelguard from roll.nz aka @The Fat Unicyclist

Once I get this I will start training right leg starts. 

This way I can begin me training almost right away, and leaves the decision open to what to choose for a secondary wheel. So it could be KS16x, Nicola or Z10 EU version....or something else.

Thanks for all the input so far.

9 hours ago, Unventor said:

So a little update. The input so far lead me to rething the project of learning new skills. Instead of doing this on a second wheel, I am going to do at least beginning by using my KS18L.

I wouldn't even bother waiting for that cover because it's unlikely you'll even drop the wheel, and everyone at this level already has a lot of experience catching a falling wheel. I never dropped my wheel going backwards even when I crippled myself for a month.

2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

I wouldn't even bother waiting for that cover because it's unlikely you'll even drop the wheel, and everyone at this level already has a lot of experience catching a falling wheel. I never dropped my wheel going backwards even when I crippled myself for a month.

Weel it is already in transport. Should not take much more than a week anyway. Until then I am using a balance foam matt to build up my knees. It is a 2" / 5cm thick foam plate that is unstable. It make you do small micro movements to stay in balance.

6 hours ago, Unventor said:

Weel it is already in transport. Should not take much more than a week anyway. Until then I am using a balance foam matt to build up my knees. It is a 2" / 5cm thick foam plate that is unstable. It make you do small micro movements to stay in balance.

I agree with @LanghamP. You don't have to worry about dropping the wheel too tough because you are doing small,  slow movements.

In the beginning you will surely come off the wheel while learning because It almost like trying to learn how to ride all over again.

However, I found that I was able to grab the handle before the wheel hit the ground each time I bailed. Other than a few minor scrapes on the bottom of the plats. No worries. 

Plus,  bear in mind that it is more difficult to learn these moves on your 18L than it would be on a smaller wheel.

Archived