V10f loose pedal

Epic53

I just received my first ever EUC, the Inmotion V10f. Started practicing in my somewhat large-ish living room because outside too much salt on the roads and will damage the wheel. So far awesome wheel, especially good since im only 62 kg/140 lbs. Too bad I can't go very far. Just after a day of practicing I noticed one of the pedals were extremely loose all of a sudden. I compared the opposite pedal which felt good and stiff to the very loose one, and saw that the little silver bearing was moving along the direction of the pedal (up and down), on the other pedal, none of the two were. I'm not "mechanically savvy" or anything, but it seems like the looseness could just be fixed with tightening the screw. I tightened the bottom screw underneath and it did the job, but the bearing is still moving (shown in picture) - It's more twitching kinda spin, not a smooth continues spin. I want to be sure everything works the way its supposed to, as this is only the second day now. Maybe some screw got loose because of vibrations? Or I fell on the carpet at 5 km/h and the screw slipped off... I don't know (you can see a little bit of a scrape on the left side of the pedal on the picture, but on carpet? hmm). I also noticed a blue paste surrounding the bottom screw when I took it out (blue loctite?). Maybe adding more of the paste could prevent it from loosening again?

There are also the two screws on the front and back of the pedal, but I don't think those have anything to do with the problem. 

Maybe someone with their own V10(f) can take a look and confirm what’s going on...

It might not seem like a big deal all this, but imagine the whole screw falling of entirely while riding in the future :o

Can't wait to go outside, like most other riders waiting for the snow to melt away

Thanks a lot. Andrew

IMG_2773.jpg

Edited by Epic53

• 1 year later...

The “bearing” is just a spacer. Whether it turns with the pedal or not is random, and does not affect the functionality at all. The pedal axle (or “pin”) runs inside the spacers, from the front screw (5mm hex) to the rear one. These and the bottom screw are the important ones, and it wouldn’t hurt to make sure the front and rear screws are nice and tight on a new wheel.

The front and rear screws keep the axle in place, and the bottom screw adjusts the tightness of opening the pedal.

• Like 2

On 8/9/2020 at 2:29 PM, mrelwood said:

The front and rear screws keep the axle in place, and the bottom screw adjusts the tightness of opening the pedal.

I think the bottom screw should be tightened so that the axle doesn’t rotate under it. The two end screws tighten the Teflon inserts to provide the friction to hold the pedal up. 

• Like 1

The tyre change videos online will give you a clue as to what you're looking at, but (trying to describe it in words!):

The pedal rides on an unthreaded steel bar which goes through the pedal, through the small spacer you've highlighted above, through the pedal mount, through the other spacer and then through the pedal.

This steel bar is held in by three screws:

* One screw on the body-side underneath the pedal mount.  This is a 4mm allen/hex key and tightens the bar to the chassis.  This is the screw you should tighten last.

* Two screws in the pedal, one at either end of the bar.  These are both a 5mm allen/hex key and serve to stop the bar sliding forwards or backwards.  There is a small nylon spacer between these screws and the bar itself.

The blue paste you're seeing is threadlock.  This is a gummy paste that hardens over time and stops vibration from shaking the screws loose.  It can be reused to a degree but it's the kind of thing it's worth having in your toolbox anyway.  Threadlock is colour coded and blue (used in the V10F) is the weakest version, intended to make the screws possible to remove.  The stronger threadlocks have much higher holding power and shouldn't be used.

I would recommend that you loosen the 4mm grub screw under the pedal mount and then tighten both the 5mm screws in the pedals.  This will clamp the nylon spacer against the end of the steel bar and stop it moving back and forth.  Then tighten the 4mm screw against the steel bar.

Do remember that you're tightening a steel screw into an aluminium part.  The screw is *way* stronger than the part you're screwing into and overtightening it will strip the thread in the aluminium.