Will there ever be an update to the MTen3 in 2019?

My mind has been on this wheel since the second half of 2018, so my gut's telling me that I should have it :clap3:

I would hate to buy one and then find out they're releasing an updated version within a year or so.  Does anyone have any insight on this matter?  If they were to update this wheel, what would they modify?

5 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

@Meelosh123 the MTen3, along with the Monster, would be technically next in line for a refresh, but out of curiosity, what do you find lacking on the current spec? 

Oh I find nothing lacking, except perhaps its color/aesthetic.  I know it'd kinda suck if I got one and then saw them release a new version soon after.  I'm sure there's a phrase for that phenomenon.  FOMO?

14 minutes ago, Meelosh123 said:

Oh I find nothing lacking, except perhaps its color/aesthetic.  I know it'd kinda suck if I got one and then saw them release a new version soon after.  I'm sure there's a phrase for that phenomenon.  FOMO?

:lol:

I hear you, but that's kinda the aesthetic they've been going for recently (Tesla > MCM5 > Nikola).

Pure baseless speculation here, but I doubt they'll put out a refresh before end of year, esp seeing how demand is greater for the more traditional size models.

it would be nice if they updated it to let you shut off the Christmas tree lights.

On my mcm4 I can set the lights to just show me battery voltage and braking, but from what I've read (could be wrong) you can't disable the light pattern on the mten3 or set it to just be static and show the battery level and braking only.  I find that kind of annoying.  Like maybe I don't always want to be drawing tons of attention to myself with light patterns.  Sure at night on the road i'll put the light pattern on my mcm4 on, but during the day or when not on the street I prefer it off.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2019 at 8:35 PM, houseofjob said:

what do you find lacking on the current spec

-waterproofing,

-safety of the charging port, no live port at 84V please !

-easiness for tire change / or a more robust tubeless tire

-durability : proof that the battery "nickel" plate won't rust or melt because of wrong design

Also I broke a foot axle/support (I used it only in city). Because of its small wheel diameter, there are much more shocks because of irregularities than any other bigger wheel. The axle must be reinforced for smaller wheel, not the big ones. 10kg of difference is nothing compared to the shocks it had to absorb.

10 hours ago, jbwheel said:

-waterproofing,

100% real waterproofing will never happen on a wheel, as this means lack heat escape, which is death to control boards, ala computers.

I don't see how the MTen3 can get any more waterproof than it already is without making the wheel beigger. The board is optimally placed atop the wheel, maximal distance from the ground.

-safety of the charging port, no live port at 84V please !

Meh, we already have this via eWheels.com here in the states, Jason stocks Gotways with diodes fitted in the charge port.

Maybe you need to push your local distributor to order their stock with this option.

-easiness for tire change / or a more robust tubeless tire

Yeah, this is a valid complaint with Gotway, as their designs always require you to split the shell for tire changes, unlike King Song or InMotion designs, frustratingly.

But the MTen3 is far from the most complicated wheel to change the tire, I've done it a bunch now.

And there IS another tubeless tire available that fits the MTen3 BTW. But the tire is not a function of Gotway proper (they are not a tire manufacturer and do not have the resources to press custom tires)  Gotway models are always built around already existing tire supply paradigms. The MTen3 borrows its tire resources from Segway Mini/Mini Pro & electric scooter tires.

-durability : proof that the battery "nickel" plate won't rust or melt because of wrong design

I really haven't heard any issues with this after the initial MTen3 shipment, and never had an issue on mine.

Also I broke a foot axle/support (I used it only in city). Because of its small wheel diameter, there are much more shocks because of irregularities than any other bigger wheel. The axle must be reinforced for smaller wheel, not the big ones. 10kg of difference is nothing compared to the shocks it had to absorb.

Wow, you broke the axles themselves? Did you do any jumping, or bumping down from curbs?

I put a lot of city miles on mine before I sold, and had zero issues with the axles (no jumping, no bumping down), and have yet to hear anyone else have axle breakage with non-jumping/bumping usage.

• 2 weeks later...

@houseofjob

the interior of the Mten3 is a dust nest. in November 2017, I fell as a result of water infiltration.

the water infiltrates by the projections of the rotation of the tire. the faster the tire rotates, the more pressure there is. water and dust seep through the junction of the two shells, because there is no rubber seam.

to solve the problem, I made myself tight with various products.

as mentioned by @jbwheel, In evolution, we would like to see the same quality of materials and the same waterproofness as the ninebot z10. in the z10, there is a real rubber seam. so why could not that be the case at gotway?

Since I fell because of the water infiltration, I am very looking at sealing. at the moment, if I had to change the wheel, I would go on a z10 or a v10f.

like @Marty Backe, I have a nickel slice that has almost melted. I added copper to solve this problem. having had a MTEN3 of August 2017, he was configured with a tire and a tube. I converted it to tubeless. for the tire, it would have to stay that way.

1F498C75-E6C2-4FB5-B647-35B24B88C5A8.jpeg

F928CF5C-46FD-4733-AB23-45150023A80D.jpeg

C85E6A89-4144-42FB-A16A-7D1717C19528.jpeg

On 2/14/2019 at 1:03 AM, houseofjob said:

don't see how the MTen3 can get any more waterproof

Water and dust get inside the unit from above the tire Just a shape joint would be enough, basic stuff.

But the MTen3 is far from the most complicated wheel to change the tire, I've done it a bunch now.

Me too, these screws directly into the plastic are for toys. I got several times glass pieces and finally change to tubeless with sealant with the original tire.

Wow, you broke the axles themselves? Did you do any jumping, or bumping down from curbs?

Only Paris city (which is old, I do not do pavement on a regular basis), no stunts or whatsoever. I have done more than 7000 real km (8100 in app) with my MCM4 in the same conditions without problem.  2700km with Mten3 when it happened. Main factor is the lack of dampers and being 10", the wheel endures every irregularity unlike bigger wheels when you don't even notice them. Small wheel need bigger axles, more than the bigger wheel where the trend is also to make bigger axles (not the IPS S5 I just bought, this one is really special).

This prove that there was no real engineering, just customers as beta tester. Also some kind of fraud or huge mistake (by European standards, we don't get much money in court) for the live charging port. Less and less acceptable since Gotway has been on the market for a long time and is far too expensive for this level of quality.

IMG-20190302-WA0001.thumb.jpg.58c20586cb4c59ffc0e74552097cafe0.jpg

Archived