New Gloves: Flatland 3D E-Skate (Long Term Review)

**Crash Update & Damage**

Had a small crash: fell down while going up a 30 degree concrete ramp, was probably around 10 miles an hour. Landed hands first, slid down the hill a bit on my back but was in full gear. Other than scratched up gear I got a small scrape on my finger.  The glove had rubber finger protectors on the backside but they didn't stop the damage.

- Big rip on the glove where the Knox Sliders are located. They slid and got grounded down a bit, but no bruising to my hand. My wrists are fine as well.

- One finger got scraped but the rest are fine, one of the index finger tips on the glove started to rip.

IMG_20190413_122006.thumb.jpg.b6b6d2a8dbf9ae9bb0f8bd4c3db66d18.jpg

1 hour ago, tihoa said:

**Crash Update & Damage**

Had a small crash: fell down while going up a 30 degree concrete ramp, was probably around 10 miles an hour. Landed hands first, slid down the hill a bit on my back but was in full gear. Other than scratched up gear I got a small scrape on my finger.  The glove had rubber finger protectors on the backside but they didn't stop the damage.

- Big rip on the glove where the Knox Sliders are located. They slid and got grounded down a bit, but no bruising to my hand. My wrists are fine as well.

- One finger got scraped but the rest are fine, one of the index finger tips on the glove started to rip.

IMG_20190413_122006.thumb.jpg.b6b6d2a8dbf9ae9bb0f8bd4c3db66d18.jpg

As I figured the durability of the product is subpar, especially considering such slow speeds. Buy cheap buy twice

Edited by Darrell Wesh
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, djdriftking said:

What's the consensus on using downhill longboard slide gloves (with slide pucks) as protection? Are wristguards still necessary if the hands slide on the pavement? 

Those slide pucks are kind of overkill. For the same effect you can get gloves with some kind of Palm Slider built in (the Flatland 3D gloves uses the Knox palm sliders). Some motorcycle gloves have them as well and those gloves offer greater abrasion resistance since its meant for high speed use. 

The wrist guards come into play when you slide into something that's on the pavement, like if there was a gap / rock / angle change / whatever you can go from a slide to a bump/twist right away. They're also useful for low speed falls where you're slow enough to not go into a slide on your palms but might end up over flexing your wrist anyways.

• Like 1

After breaking both wrists last year in separate EUC accidents, including a hit-and-run crash, I now wear wrist protection for all but the most casual riding situations. For years, I've also preferred to ride with gloves, thick or thin, to absorb the scrapes and road rash from even a minor fall.

Months of riding with Demon Flexmeter wrist guards — highly recommended, by the way — over separate gloves made me long for a simpler solution. The promise of built-in wrist protection, along with a credible layer to protect my skin, enticed me toward the Flatland 3D gloves, which purport to deliver both in a single package.

Unfortunately, after riding daily with the Flatland 3D gloves for about a month, I'm sorry to say I can't recommend them for EUC use. The lack of impact protection for the inner wrist, issues with stitching and quality, and, for me, poor fit in the fingers means I can't endorse these $65 gloves.

The well-documented issues with the stitching coming undone is actually the least significant issue for me with these gloves. Just like most buyers, for me the stitching around the inside wrist started breaking free almost immediately. But on my gloves this stitching is in no way structural, and the gloves have worked and looked basically fine even with the stitching issue. 

For $65, one could expect better stitching. But it's not just the stitching, it's the overall gloves. Although the palms and knuckles appear reasonably durable, they aren't going to protect from impact any better than a pair of $20-$30 work gloves. And the Flatland 3D main selling point, the "Scaphoid Protection System," which consists of a novel "unidirectional" removable plastic plate that runs from the back of the knuckles down over the wrist, may very protect your wrists from getting hyper-extended in a fall, but a lack of rigid impact protection on the front of the hand and wrist means these gloves are missing half — the most important half — of the wrist protection offered by the Flexmeter guards (or even the orthopedic braces they gave me in the emergency room, which were excellent, when paired with separate gloves.

Also, and I know everyone is built differently, but the fingers on even the small size gloves are too long for my hands. I would probably need one size smaller, XS, that doesn't exist, to fit my hands snugly they way I like.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I also bought Flatland 3D gloves and the stitching broken in first wear, they sent me the second pair and happened the same thing.

Now I using the Demon United X D3O wrist guard,  love it.

https://demonsnow.com/store/MTB-BMX/MTB-BMX-Wrist-Guards-Gloves?product_id=354

DEMON UNITED X D3O-wrist.png

• 2 months later...
On 4/19/2019 at 8:08 AM, who_the said:

Months of riding with Demon Flexmeter wrist guards — highly recommended, by the way — over separate gloves made me long for a simpler solution.

I feel your pain.

They should make flexmeters with built-in gloves, preferably with overstretch protection (like stitching 2 fingers together as on some motorcycle gloves) for your pinkie, as normal gloves will only help against abrasion.

There currently seems to be no product that offers decent wrist and finger (I had a dislocated pinkie in a crash) protection at the same time. Right now you have to choose risking your fingers or your wrist, which sucks.

Concerning the gloves in the topic. It seems you should take those only if you ride fast. Oh the irony :lol: 

• 2 weeks later...

Well shit... I saw chooch's video on these gloves, but i noticed that he just got em and hadnt fallen on them yet so i figured id check the forums and see if anyone had any reports from them, and this is disappointing. I currently wear flexmeter, and i love them, but they're so annoying to put on/take off, with my gloves. Also, I messed up and kept them in a musty area for a bit too long and now im probably gonna have to get new ones, lol.  So i was HOPING to replace em with something easier, even though i know they're the best out there right now. But i guess i'll just be buying a replacement soon instead. Bleh..

7 hours ago, seage said:

Well shit... I saw chooch's video on these gloves, but i noticed that he just got em and hadnt fallen on them yet so i figured id check the forums and see if anyone had any reports from them, and this is disappointing. I currently wear flexmeter, and i love them, but they're so annoying to put on/take off, with my gloves. Also, I messed up and kept them in a musty area for a bit too long and now im probably gonna have to get new ones, lol.  So i was HOPING to replace em with something easier, even though i know they're the best out there right now. But i guess i'll just be buying a replacement soon instead. Bleh..

He’s being endorsed by them apparently. I’ve seen the review and it appears he’s simply hype about the “concept” of the gloves and hasn’t actually noticed the construction and performance yet.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, seage said:

Also, I messed up and kept them in a musty area for a bit too long and now im probably gonna have to get new ones, lol.

I've washed my Flexmeters in the machine many times, no issues.

And I should say I'm still wearing my Flatlands too, the stitching has gotten no worse in the last couple of months. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darrell Wesh said:

He’s being endorsed by them apparently. I’ve seen the review and it appears he’s simply hype about the “concept” of the gloves and hasn’t actually noticed the construction and performance yet.

Yeah, he was saying that they partnered with him. so i was immediately ready to just come on here and see first hand reviews instead. Im sure we'll get an update after he goes down, but hes a fast rider, so i get the feeling we'll hear about how they deal with high speed falls, rather than the one incident on here where someone went down slowly, which i know is hard to deal with for any brace due to the lack of sliding? Anyways, yeah, the concept IS really cool, and i was very excited about it as well when I saw it, but i've learned to be skeptical when it comes to protection. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, who_the said:

I've washed my Flexmeters in the machine many times, no issues.

And I should say I'm still wearing my Flatlands too, the stitching has gotten no worse in the last couple of months. 

Ah, thats good then. Well, mine actually smell great again. The magic of disney or something. 

Have you fallen on the flatlands? (I mean, i hope you dont, but just curious for your experience with them, if they're just as bad as others)

1 hour ago, seage said:

Have you fallen on the flatlands? (I mean, i hope you dont, but just curious for your experience with them, if they're just as bad as others)

No worries! No, they must be good luck, hope it stays that way. :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, seage said:

Haha it’s funny how we’re all secretly hoping people fall wearing their gear so we can hear first hand reviews about them. We need a crash dummy similar to how cars test 

Edited by Darrell Wesh
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

These things haven’t been in stock for weeks and they also seem to fall apart very easily. Do you guys know of any other gloves that are like these? I’m looking for something that will protect my fingers but also have a wrist guard. 

• Like 1

IMG_1060.thumb.jpg.6aed40a8db84a34c883c8038e3d7b0b9.jpg

I've been using the the flatland 3d skate gloves for about a year. It has held up. I took a fall earlier this year and the glove prevented injury to my hands. The plastic bits basically slide on the ground. But, it depends on how you fall. Your hands need to come down on an angle with the ground. It won't protect your wrist if impact is directly into the ground. For that reason I ordered the Flexmeter 3do. For low speed casual riding the Flatland is fine. You can see the scruff marks on the plastic padding. The Flatland is unobtrusive and comfortable. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Patton250 said:

These things haven’t been in stock for weeks and they also seem to fall apart very easily. Do you guys know of any other gloves that are like these? I’m looking for something that will protect my fingers but also have a wrist guard. 

I use these:

Knox Orsa

orsa-leather-3_2_1.jpg

They have sliders for the wrist and at least my fingers are protected from abrasion when falling at high speed.

1 hour ago, greentung said:

. For low speed casual riding the Flatland is fine.

I would claim the opposite. When you are going fast you'll be sliding a lot easier because of the forward momentum, when going slower/playing round you'll fall down straight on your wrist a lot easier.

When I do high speed riding I take the above gloves. When I do slow stuff with my mten3 I take my flexmeters.

Edited by ir_fuel
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, greentung said:

Knox Orsa textile Mk2 glove

Interesting. The textile ones are no longer sold in Europe because they do not conform to the safety regulations for motorcycle gloves. They only sell the leather ones. But TBH I don't think it matters much for EUC'ing. I was going to get those too at first but couldn't find them anywhere.

4 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Interesting. The textile ones are no longer sold in Europe because they do not conform to the safety regulations for motorcycle gloves. They only sell the leather ones. But TBH I don't think it matters much for EUC'ing. I was going to get those too at first but couldn't find them anywhere.

I would just like a material that obviously can handle a crash but also is breathable because it is extremely hot here in Florida.