New Gloves: Flatland 3D E-Skate (Long Term Review)

On 3/5/2019 at 9:20 PM, Unventor said:

But my wheel is evil and sexy now 😉😎

20190305_180132.thumb.jpg.77127c87053bb4314bfdce2b9fec1a92.jpg

It arrived! Awesome! Such a great product @The Fat Unicyclist provides! I wonder who he hires to meticulously punch all of the LED holes into the neoprene? :)

(gif/picture removed) 

Edited by Unventor
Had to make space for new pictures
  • Like 2

@Rehab1 I think the secret is hidden in this documentary...Charlie something...

(gif/picture removed to make space) 

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

It arrived! Awesome! Such a great product @The Fat Unicyclist provides! I wonder who he hires to meticulously punch all of the LED holes into the neoprene? :)

46378365715_89520a17a1_b.jpg

Hahahahahaha that had me laughing out loud! :roflmao:

Edited by travsformation
  • Like 1

On 3/5/2019 at 7:48 PM, Scatcat said:

A long glove-style protector in relatively soft and breathable materials, with the back plate construction from the flexmeters, the knox glide pads and some seriously tough abrasion resistant materials for the palms.

Add some armor for the knuckles, a quick close and release secure fastening method to make them as convenient as possible, and you would have a winner.

And they'll be yours for the sweet price of $400 :D 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

And they'll be yours for the sweet price of $400 :D 

Motorcycle helmets cost $500+ that you have to throw away as soon as it touches the ground but these would have plenty of durability for multiple falls (and the hands are the next most important body part)!!

Edited by Darrell Wesh

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 11:16 AM, Rehab1 said:

46378365715_89520a17a1_b.jpg

NO... NOT ELVES!

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 11:24 AM, Unventor said:

@Rehab1 I think the secret is hidden in this documentary...Charlie something...tenor.gif.71640cb753548d90ca6d909529d4aebf.gif

AND NO... NOT OOMPA LOOMPAS!

This is New Zealand... We use Hobbits...

Hobbiton-51.jpg

And your feedback has been very much appreciated by Mrs. TFU (who is the right height to be a Hobbit, but was disqualified because I make her shave her feet). We are both very proud of what she has been able to develop and are glad that you are all embracing it (some more than others, eh @Unventor?).

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 11:51 AM, who_the said:

Wow these are fabulous! I'd totally buy one for my MSX if @The Fat Unicyclist made one.

Thanks @who_the, but if it was me that made it, you really wouldn't want it... But our Hobbit sweatshop are working to source an MSX so that we can see what we can do for you (and maybe the other MSX owners too)!

• Like 3

On 3/8/2019 at 12:17 AM, Darrell Wesh said:

the hands are the next most important body part

I'm not sure I agree with that....but I'll refrain from one of my lengthy and tedious explanations, I don't want to be a DICK :efee8319ab::efee612b4b:

• Like 3

@The Fat Unicyclist What was the website again to buy one of these awesome protective sleeves for my 18XL?

(I don't think you'd be contravening forum rules by posting it. First because I'm the one who asked, and second because the hobbits are the ones pocketing the money, or at least, so I've been told.) 

45 minutes ago, travsformation said:

@The Fat Unicyclist What was the website again to buy one of these awesome protective sleeves for my 18XL?

(I don't think you'd be contravening forum rules by posting it. First because I'm the one who asked, and second because the hobbits are the ones pocketing the money, or at least, so I've been told.) 

i agree. Have a look here... 

https://www.roll.nz/int/27-store

• Upvote 1

On 3/6/2019 at 7:41 AM, Scatcat said:

Not much protection for the elbow  

$2000 protective suit with no elbow protection is why I never purchased the gear.;)

33461111078_65ed66b379_b.jpg

5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

$2000 protective suit with no elbow protection is why I never purchased the gear.;)

33461111078_65ed66b379_b.jpg

Elbows are overrated though...

I mean who really needs them anyway?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So you guys were right. The gloves did not protect as advertised and I'm fairly certain I broke my scaphoid. I fell while going less than 12 mph but clearly felt my palm absorb most of the impact without sliding. :facepalm:

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jonesq said:

So you guys were right. The gloves did not protect as advertised and I'm fairly certain I broke my scaphoid. I fell while going less than 12 mph but clearly felt my palm absorb most of the impact without sliding. :facepalm:

Ouch. Sorry to hear that. You should get and X-ray and see a doctor to be on the safe side.

I was hoping to hear a first-hand account on whether they worked or not in a fall, but not at the expense of someone getting injured. :efee565ab0:

Hope you have a speedy recovery!

6 hours ago, Jonesq said:

Yes, a fall at that slow of a speed would require serious impact protection like Poron xrd, d30 palm pads or wrist guards. Sliding reliably needs higher speeds

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the well wishes guys. I got an x-ray today but won't know the results until tomorrow. I've broken the scaphoid on the same wrist so I was really worried that the impact may have displaced the screw that in there now but from what the imaging tech said it doesn't look like that is the case. Anyways, just wanted to share what happened so everyone can make a more informed decision as to these gloves. One a related note, I did receive a new pair of reinforced gloves and the stitching does seem to be stronger...although I think I'll be wearing my wrist guards from Ewheels primarily from now on.

22 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

Yes, a fall at that slow of a speed would require serious impact protection like Poron xrd, d30 palm pads or wrist guards. Sliding reliably needs higher speeds

Interesting point. I had assumed that gravity and my weight would be enough to slide the pucks, but I guess not. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jonesq said:

Interesting point. I had assumed that gravity and my weight would be enough to slide the pucks, but I guess not. 

I've had several 30+ km/h falls wearing my (cheap) skatebard-style wrist-guards, and they protected my wrist perfectly. I had a fall using the same wrist-guards at near-standtill speed and ended up with a wrist injury. They'll prevent hyper-extension at low speeds, but they won't dissipate the force of the impact. As @Darrell Wesh says, your average wrist guards just don't cut it for slow-speed falls...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, travsformation said:

I've had several 30+ km/h falls wearing my (cheap) skatebard-style wrist-guards, and they protected my wrist perfectly. I had a fall using the same wrist-guards at near-standtill speed and ended up with a wrist injury. They'll prevent hyper-extension at low speeds, but they won't dissipate the force of the impact. As @Darrell Wesh says, your average wrist guards just don't cut it for slow-speed falls...

A fascinating and counter-intuitive fact. But as you write, unless you actually slide, the protection of most wrist guards are pretty inadequate. I suspect the flexmeters would work, but I'm not entirely positive.

1 hour ago, Scatcat said:

A fascinating and counter-intuitive fact. But as you write, unless you actually slide, the protection of most wrist guards are pretty inadequate. I suspect the flexmeters would work, but I'm not entirely positive.

It is funny isn’t it? That you could sustain more impact at half the speed than double that speed. If you don’t have enough speed to counteract the friction than you’ll take more impact and less abrasion. I’d take the abrasion(and hope I’m wearing leather or textile gear)

Edited by Darrell Wesh
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

It is funny isn’t it? That you could sustain more impact at half the speed than double that speed. If you don’t have enough speed to counteract the friction than you’ll take more impact and less abrasion. I’d take the abrasion(and hope I’m wearing leather or textile gear)

Actually, if you slide, the flatland gloves probably works well enough. If you don't you'd want the D3O and longer plates of the flexmeters.

2 hours ago, Scatcat said:

Actually, if you slide, the flatland gloves probably works well enough. If you don't you'd want the D3O and longer plates of the flexmeters.

My main reason to buy the flatland gloves would be for convenience (easy, slip-on, slip-off protection in winter, instead of the tediousness of wearing gloves under my wrist guards), and finger/knuckle protection (abrasion). The hyper-extension protection has been put in doubt (seams holding the wrist plate in place and whatnot), and build quality also makes finger protection pretty dubious so...I don't really see the point in them, unfortunately. A shame, they could have been a fantastic product...

Edited by travsformation