New Gloves: Flatland 3D E-Skate (Long Term Review)

Actually.

My ideal gloves would be something like the flatland3d ones, but without the flimsy stretch that they share with the flexmeters. They should replace that with a bit beefier material, make sure the stitching is good, use SPS-plates with the harder embedded material you can find in some Knox-gloves, use a protective strip that has a bit more progressive flex backwards and is an inch or so longer, and replace the thin velcro with a slightly wider band that both open the gloves to make them easier to put on and take off, and functions as a better anchor for the back-plate.

Why I like them, is because they're so comfortable I almost forget I'm wearing them. I can even get my keys out of my jean-pocket without too much hassle, and easily put on and take off my helmet without bothering taking of the gloves. Even so the protection while not ideal, seem to be rather OK. Sure they will probably have to be scrapped after any serious fall at speed, but I'm almost willing to live with that for the convenience.

So if anyone (hello Knox, hello Demon) would do gloves that are as comfortable, more durable, with serious SPS, and with a bit better thought out overextension protection for the back of the hand, I would happily shell out the money to buy them. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, travsformation said:

I don't think you understood me (or I didn't explain myself properly). I'm not arguing with the graphic you posted—we both agree that sliding is the top priority to prevent a wrist injury. My point was that Knox's protections, as you pointed out, are designed for high speeds. Therefore, in a motorcycle crash, they'd do their job well: you'd slide, and wrist fracture averted.

The faster you're going, the more you slide...at lower speeds the Knox protections might not slide as well; there's a much higher risk of the protection "sticking" to the ground. In which case it seems like a sensible option to have the wrist plate as backup if, for whatever reason (speed, type of terrain), one fails to slide.

My main concern is protection, not price. I was just pointing out that I (personally) wouldn't spend my money on expensive motorcycle gloves (designed for motorcycle crashes), when I'm unsure they'll offer the protection I'm after. My ideal would be some form of cross-over involving well-built motorcycle gloves with wrist plates incorporated. If the Flatlands were better quality (regardless of price), they'd be the closest thing out there. The idea is good, and they're designed with e-skate riders in mind (which is close enough to EUC-riding conditions), it's just too bad there are so many quality issues.

On the other hand, they are the only product of their sort on the market at the moment (correct me if I'm wrong). Maybe they'll learn from their mistake and improve the next version, or even better, other manufacturers will see there's a potential market and we'll eventually have more options: half-finger gloves with wrist plates, full-finger gloves with more heavily reinforced finger protection (winter and summer options), different slider technologies, reinforced ulnar area (side of the hand), etc.

I had my hopes up when I first read about the Flatlands...I was looking for a wrist-guard + glove combo (for winter riding) that was more convenient than my current setup (gloves under my wrist guards, which is a royal pain in the ass). Looks like the EUC/e-sk8 glove market is still in its infancy...Guess I'll have to wait (and stick to my current setup for the time being). Might replace my thin MTB gloves with thinnish, summer motorcycle gloves (whatever I can find that can fit under my wrist guards) for increased finger/knuckle protection though

Huh? Did you not see my link to a REAL Knox glove? https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/knox-orsa-leather-mk2-gloves

The ONLY thing the flatland gloves have to offer is also their downfall: a thin profile for tactile sensitivity which means less durability. 

The Knox gloves I linked have the BOA wrist adjustment system which is literally the easiest way to open and close a glove. You pull up and the gloves open wide or you push Down and twist the dial to cinch it up as tight or loose as you want. Nothing is better than BOA adjustment. 

Just because something is purpose built for a motorcycle rider does not make it insensible to use for an EUC. The tactile feedback is still excellent even with the thicker (more durable than cheap Clarino) leather. 

Also, motorcycle gloves nowadays have impact foam such as PORON Xtreme impact or some other crazy thin but impact repellant Foam that can rival wrist guards for impact absorption. It’s almost 2020, the times of having to use big bulky protection are over. 

Edited by Darrell Wesh

1 hour ago, Darrell Wesh said:

Huh? Did you not see my link to a REAL Knox glove? https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/knox-orsa-leather-mk2-gloves

I don't see any wrist plates in the description or the video review (plus, short & flexible cuffs too... Not good for EUCs...).

Knox's SPS  is great technology, but not infallible: if for whatever reason, your hand doesn't slide (course asphalt + low speed, near-standstill fall, etc.), it will only protect from abrasion but not from hyper-extension. For me, wrist plates are a must, so from my standpoint, that rules out motorcycle gloves.

1 hour ago, Darrell Wesh said:

The ONLY thing the flatland gloves have to offer is also their downfall: a thin profile for tactile sensitivity which means less durability.

They offer wrist plates.

Think (double-side Demon D3O) Flexmeters, which are pretty much the gold standard that all other wrist guards have to measure up to: the skid plate allows you to slide (preventing hyper-extension) and protects the palm from abrasion and impact (with the D3O padding); in combination with the wrist plates, they offer maximum protection against hyper-extension. Take away either of those elements and they'd be useless (for unicycling). (Edit: Take away the wrist plates and they'd offer the same amount of hyper-extension protection as motorcycle gloves)

That's the kind of protection I'd like from a glove for EUC-riding. Either a Flexmeter glove, or a Flatland-style glove with the improvements @Scatcat mentioned, for instance, would be perfect. But since my ideal glove hasn't been invented yet, I'm leaning more towards flatland3ds than towards motorcycle gloves...

But hey, everyone has their preferences, we don't have to agree ;)

Edited by travsformation

4 hours ago, travsformation said:

I don't see any wrist plates in the description or the video review (plus, short & flexible cuffs too... Not good for EUCs...).

Knox's SPS  is great technology, but not infallible: if for whatever reason, your hand doesn't slide (course asphalt + low speed, near-standstill fall, etc.), it will only protect from abrasion but not from hyper-extension. For me, wrist plates are a must, so from my standpoint, that rules out motorcycle gloves.

They offer wrist plates.

Think (double-side Demon D3O) Flexmeters, which are pretty much the gold standard that all other wrist guards have to measure up to: the skid plate allows you to slide (preventing hyper-extension) and protects the palm from abrasion and impact (with the D3O padding); in combination with the wrist plates, they offer maximum protection against hyper-extension. Take away either of those elements and they'd be useless (for unicycling). (Edit: Take away the wrist plates and they'd offer the same amount of hyper-extension protection as motorcycle gloves)

That's the kind of protection I'd like from a glove for EUC-riding. Either a Flexmeter glove, or a Flatland-style glove with the improvements @Scatcat mentioned, for instance, would be perfect. But since my ideal glove hasn't been invented yet, I'm leaning more towards flatland3ds than towards motorcycle gloves...

But hey, everyone has their preferences, we don't have to agree ;)

Those wrist plates are a joke. In order to get TRUE benefit from a wrist plate it must be quite long: see the flexmeters you love to talk about. The  “wrist guards” that you commonly see that only cover your palm don’t actually prevent hyper extension by means of a rigid wrist plate because they aren’t long enough.

With that said, the flatland gloves wrist plates are NOT long enough to provide the bracing neccessary for the further hyperextension protection they advertise. That’s why once again I’ll say the only benefit they have over a real Knox glove is tactile feedback for holding a remote we don’t use. 

Edited by Darrell Wesh

@Darrell Wesh As I said before:

11 hours ago, travsformation said:

Either a Flexmeter glove, or a Flatland-style glove with the improvements @Scatcat mentioned, for instance, would be perfect.

My ideal glove hasn't been invented yet

16 hours ago, travsformation said:

Looks like the EUC/e-sk8 glove market is still in its infancy...Guess I'll have to wait

Edit / P.S.:

7 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

see the flexmeters you love to talk about

:blink1:

My last post was actually the first time I've EVER talked about Flexmeters in this forum. But that's beyond the point:

What's with the attitude? We're discussing gloves and wrist guards, for christ's sake....not politics, religion, the Holocaust or who's mama is fatter... :efee612b4b:

If I ever forget, please remind me not to discuss anything serious with you... :P :)

Edited by travsformation

5 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

No attitude here, it’s all in how you read my posts. I assure you I’m typing everything with a smile 😉

The issues of written debates and lack of visual contact and tone of voice....

Glad we're on the same page. By the way, my mama's getting fatter by the day :efee612b4b:

Edited by travsformation
  • Like 1

I do have a certain annoyance towards these flatland gloves because I know quality products and these aren’t it. And how they’re being touted as like the holy grail or something but do everything wrong and people still recommend them. 

Its like just because someone finally capitalized on writing a bio that says “these gloves are specifically for PEV users” everyone ignores the flaws and hops on the train to nowhere.

I should make a trash full face helmet specifically for EUC riders with a fancy description full of empty promises and a chin guard that fails as soon as you start talking with it on. Bet it would be a hot buy as long as I honor the warranty. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

I do have a certain annoyance towards these flatland gloves because I know quality products and these aren’t it. And how they’re being touted as like the holy grail or something but do everything wrong and people still recommend them. 

I thought I detected a hint of annoyance... :P;)

But I get where you're coming from. These flatlands should really be deemed more of a beta test model (or alpha test, for that matter), not the definitive release. If they were cheaper ($40?) I might give them a shot, considering the quality and endless room for improvement., but with shipping to Spain, they'd cost me $89, which I'm definitely not willing to pay for these gloves.

The general sense I get isn't so much that they're being touted as the holy grail. In comments on Youtube reviews, for example, people are indeed recommending them...I'm guessing because they're the only PEV-specific gloves on the market, and because most of the commenters are e-skate/boosted board riders, so decent skid plates make it hard for them to operate the remote, and the tactile feedback these gloves give them in terms of operating the remote makes them worth the compromise for them.

In this forum, on the other hand, I have a sense that people are much more critical, and willing to give them a shot, but fully aware that they're settling for a compromise between price, (basic) safety and practicality. I was actually about to give them a shot myself until I saw how much they'd cost me once shipping fees were included...

In that sense, motorcycle gloves also feel like a compromise to me. What can I say? I WANT IT ALL! And 'til I can have it all, it's gloves under my wrist guards for me... :wacko:

On that note, anyone fancy creating a change.org petition to Demon, Knox or Flatland3D demanding ACTUAL, DECENT PEV GLOVES? :efefa6edcf:

Edited by travsformation
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, travsformation said:

I thought I detected a hint of annoyance... :P;)

But I get where you're coming from. These flatlands should really be deemed more of a beta test model (or alpha test, for that matter), not the definitive release. If they were cheaper ($40?) I might give them a shot, considering the quality and endless room for improvement., but with shipping to Spain, they'd cost me $89, which I'm definitely not willing to pay for these gloves.

The general sense I get isn't so much that they're being touted as the holy grail. In comments on Youtube reviews, for example, people are indeed recommending them...I'm guessing because they're the only PEV-specific gloves on the market, and because most of the commenters are e-skate/boosted board riders, so decent skid plates make it hard for them to operate the remote, and the tactile feedback these gloves give them in terms of operating the remote makes them worth the compromise for them.

In this forum, on the other hand, I have a sense that people are much more critical, and willing to give them a shot, but fully aware that they're settling for a compromise between price, (basic) safety and practicality. I was actually about to give them a shot myself until I saw how much they'd cost me once shipping fees were included...

In that sense, motorcycle gloves also feel like a compromise to me. What can I say? I WANT IT ALL! And 'til I can have it all, it's gloves under my wrist guards for me... :wacko:

On that note, anyone fancy creating a change.org petition to Demon, Knox or Flatland3D demanding ACTUAL, DECENT PEV GLOVES? :efefa6edcf:

I'm going to change this post to a long term review about the Flatland3D E-skate gloves. These are the first PEV-specific gloves that I know of and I hope with the growth of the Esk8 and EUC community manufacturers will start looking at gloves targeted directly at us. Moto gloves don't offer that impact/fall protection that I'm looking for (no wrist plate) and roller derby gloves don't offer the abrasion resistance / under jacket fit that motorcycle gloves offer. I bought these gloves with my own money and started this post just so I can show people how this specific pair of gloves are working out for me and me alone. Do I recommend these gloves to everybody? No. Did they spike my interest in this area? Yes.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, tihoa said:

I'm going to change this post to a long term review about the Flatland3D E-skate gloves. These are the first PEV-specific gloves that I know of and I hope with the growth of the Esk8 and EUC community manufacturers will start looking at gloves targeted directly at us. Moto gloves don't offer that impact/fall protection that I'm looking for (no wrist plate) and roller derby gloves don't offer the abrasion resistance / under jacket fit that motorcycle gloves offer. I bought these gloves with my own money and started this post just so I can show people how this specific pair of gloves are working out for me and me alone. Do I recommend these gloves to everybody? No. Did they spike my interest in this area? Yes.

For starters, thanks for sharing your experience with these gloves. It'll be interesting to see if/how things evolve/improve over time. I'm in the same boat as you are in terms of them spiking my interest, and would consider giving them a try it weren't for the quality issues (stitching, grips falling off, etc) and  $89 price tag to have them shipped to Spain.

On that note, I wrote to Flatland3D to "test the waters". I told them that I'm interested in their product but concerned about the stitching and quality issues, and would like to know when the new reinforced batch will be ready, as I don't fancy ordering a pair of $89 gloves, waiting 2 weeks for overseas shipping and another week for them to clear at customs, and having them rip after a week, and then wait another 3 weeks for a replacement. I want to make sure I get a good batch. This was their reply:

There have been some issues with defective stitching in a small but significant percentage of this first production batch. It will be solved in future batches, but we're also working on a permanent fix for the remainder of this first batch. If you don't want to risk running into that specific defect, you are welcome to wait until we finish reinforcing the stitching. I don't have an ETA yet for that, but hopefully not more than a few weeks. If you want, I can make a note for myself and keep you posted on the progress of that fix.

I have the impression they will get back to me, as they replied shortly after I wrote to them. So..I'll wait and see what they have to say, specifically ask what they've changed, and share it in this re-baptized long-term review :)

I also mentioned that there's significant interest in their gloves in the EUC community, and that if they were to solve the quality issues and implement, in future designs, some of the improvements suggested in this thread (longer and more progressive wrist plates,harder Knox SPS plates, D30 palm protection, etc.), they'd have the global monopoly for PEV-specific gloves. :efee612b4b:

They said they'll consider my suggestions for future designs  :efef2e0fff::efefa6edcf:

Edited by travsformation

On 3/3/2019 at 5:23 AM, tihoa said:

If you want a quick 5 minute opinion of the updated "new pair" here's what I think:

Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. :)

What we're calling "the updated version", from what I gather by comparing the info shared here and the reply I got from Flatland3D, is that the actual "updated version" has yet to be released, and what they're currently doing is either sending people a new pair of gloves that are identical to the flawed ones they'd initially purchased, or a pair from the defective batch with a quick fix (a bit more seam reinforcement). Based on that, I'd say their customer service isn't all that good after all. They might be quick to reply, issue refunds and send replacements free of charge, but good customer care involves more transparency regarding the issues, and actually solving them as opposed to half-assed fixes...

It does make one think about their business model and whether one should even bother with future models and designs... (Too bad Demon & Knox aren't developing anything like this...)

I guess @Darrell Wesh was right all along... ;)

- When hyperextending my wrist against a table the Wrist Plate really pulls on the stitching of the glove on multiple panels. I don't know how well the wrist plates will perform in a crash when the thing holding it in looks like its about to burst at the seams.

The other flaws you mentioned are quality issues which I understand some might be willing to overlook for the sake of convenience. This, on the other hand, sounds like a serious design flaw that would render the wrist plate (which I saw as these gloves' main benefit over motorcycles gloves) completely useless (kudos once again to @Darrell Wesh). A pair of leather longboard gloves with a sturdy ol' puck would probably provide more safety... [sigh]

I think you will find that the gloves are not worth purchasing and the things they're suffering from are more than just simple quality control issues. I think they need to change the materials they're using in the construction to be more durable and even the way the glove pattern is cut (wrist plate doesn't look reliable in a crash). 

Thanks for your honest opinion :)

A pity, really, that this is the case, because if they'd done these right, they'd be a great product :(

Although I''ve pretty much made up my mind, I'd be curious to know if @Scatcat and @Jonesq agree with the above.

If you noticed in my original post (unedited) I never even linked to the Flatland3D website or any purchase page because I didn't want to endorse the gloves. I was just interested in them and I wanted to share my opinion on them after I had bought them. I'm going to update my post again with this initial reaction to the "new pair".

Just to make sure there are no misunderstandings, my criticism of the gloves began as I started comparing opinions and gathering enough info to form an informed opinion. It was never directed at you for having started the thread, which is extremely valuable as it's provided a place for users to share their experienceswith the product (including your very valuable input!) . So I owe you on that front, you saved me $90 ! ;)

I wish us both luck in finding a pair of gloves that satisfies our needs in the future. 

Gloves under the ol' wrist guards for now, I guess...

Edited by travsformation
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, travsformation said:

Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. :)

What we're calling "the updated version", from what I gather by comparing the info shared here and the reply I got from Flatland3D, is that the actual "updated version" has yet to be released, and what they're currently doing is either sending people a new pair of gloves that are identical to the flawed ones they'd initially purchased, or a pair from the defective batch with a quick fix (a bit more seam reinforcement). Based on that, I'd say their customer service isn't all that good after all. They might be quick to reply, issue refunds and send replacements free of charge, but good customer care involves more transparency regarding the issues, and actually solving them as opposed to half-assed fixes...

It does make one think about their business model and whether one should even bother with future models and designs... (Too bad Demon & Knox aren't developing anything like this...)

I guess @Darrell Wesh was right all along... ;)

The other flaws you mentioned are quality issues which I understand some might be willing to overlook for the sake of convenience. This, on the other hand, sounds like a serious design flaw that would render the wrist plate (which I saw as these gloves' main benefit over motorcycles gloves) completely useless (kudos once again to @Darrell Wesh). A pair of leather longboard gloves with a sturdy ol' puck would probably provide more safety... [sigh]

Thanks for your honest opinion :)

A pity, really, that this is the case, because if they'd done these right, they'd be a great product :(

Although I''ve pretty much made up my mind, I'd be curious to know if @Scatcat and @Jonesq agree with the above.

Just to make sure there are no misunderstandings, my criticism of the gloves began as I started comparing opinions and gathering enough info to form an informed opinion. It was never directed at you for having started the thread, which is extremely valuable as it's provided a place for users to share their experiences with the product (including your very valuable input!) . So I owe you on that front, you saved me $90 ! ;)

Gloves under the ol' wrist guards for now, I guess...

Yeah I'm (slowly) coming around to the conclusion that these are shit for quality...

One seam ripped a little day two, and while not critically placed, it is not a good sign. Three days of use and some of the hexagonal "grip" points on the fingers are peeling off. And lastly while the fabric connecting the back and front of the hand is pretty comfortable, it seems non to resilient to velcro and such.

Add to that the very ingenious in idea but lackluster in execution "Unidirectional Flexible Wrist Plate), and I don't think I'll buy a second pair. The Wrist plate is:

Too short to diffuse the overextension without risking your radius bone.

Too "unidirectional", which makes it hard to envision a longer version of the plate without losing the comfort. Actually look closely at a pair of flexmeters, and you see that there is a distinct joint where you can bend it backward somewhat, and that "joint" is right over the wrist joint. The more you bend it backward, the more force is needed, until you actually cant bend it anymore.

In comparison, while the flatland plate is a smart concept, it is somewhat flawed in material choices and dimensions:

wrist-plate.jpg.910ca46b8041c10614aa94b6a67de09a.jpg 

As seen in the picture, the whole idea is a dual material setup, with the white part being thin and flexible, while the black part is harder and not very compressible. It is a bit like a composite bow of very old design, where incompressible burnt hard wood where combined with stretchy boiled sinews/bone to get the kind of unidirectional strength not achievable with just wood or bone.

The problem here, is that the play backwards is binary, you can bend it just slightly but then it is totally rigid. The black part is pretty hard, while the white part is very flexible.

A slightly stiffer white part in combination with a backhand part that combines the hard strips for the larger end parts with slightly more rubbery central blocks, would serve to cushion the impact a bit before you reach dead stop. A longer white part that stretches another couple of inches up the arm, would also serve to disperse the impact force over a large area, lessening the risk of creating a breaking edge towards the arm-bones.

My guess is a pretty talented designer and almost no actual testing of the concept before finalizing the design... Where have I heard that before? :facepalm:

Edited by Scatcat
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 3/2/2019 at 6:43 AM, Darrell Wesh said:

Its like just because someone finally capitalized on writing a bio that says “these gloves are specifically for PEV users” everyone ignores the flaws and hops on the train to nowhere.

I should make a trash full face helmet specifically for EUC riders with a fancy description full of empty promises and a chin guard that fails as soon as you start talking with it on. Bet it would be a hot buy as long as I honor the warranty. 

I personally wouldn't buy from a company whose name makes me think the owner is a flat earther. If that's the case, then how can I believe that any science went into the product they are trying to sell me. 100% garbage to me and no I won't "Just give them a chance" either.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

I’m glad I converted everyone to hating this 😂😂

Oh, I love the concept of a glove with knox pads and backhand plate! I just think the execution and quality control sucks. They're actually ridiculously comfortable, for what it's worth.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2019 at 11:23 PM, tihoa said:

When hyperextending my wrist against a table the Wrist Plate really pulls on the stitching of the glove on multiple panels. I don't know how well the wrist plates will perform in a crash when the thing holding it in looks like its about to burst at the seams.

On 3/4/2019 at 9:43 AM, Scatcat said:

Yeah I'm (slowly) coming around to the conclusion that these are shit for quality...

One seam ripped a little day two, and while not critically placed, it is not a good sign. Three days of use and some of the hexagonal "grip" points on the fingers are peeling off. And lastly while the fabric connecting the back and front of the hand is pretty comfortable, it seems non to resilient to velcro and such.

Add to that the very ingenious in idea but lackluster in execution "Unidirectional Flexible Wrist Plate), and I don't think I'll buy a second pair. The Wrist plate is:

Too short to diffuse the overextension without risking your radius bone.

Too "unidirectional", which makes it hard to envision a longer version of the plate without losing the comfort. Actually look closely at a pair of flexmeters, and you see that there is a distinct joint where you can bend it backward somewhat, and that "joint" is right over the wrist joint. The more you bend it backward, the more force is needed, until you actually cant bend it anymore.

In comparison, while the flatland plate is a smart concept, it is somewhat flawed in material choices and dimensions:

wrist-plate.jpg.910ca46b8041c10614aa94b6a67de09a.jpg 

supportive

Just looking at the biomechanical/ structural features (or lack there of  )that consists of 3 'Lively Hinges' incorporated into the exoskeletal framework does not provide me with any degree of satisfaction that this gear would protect my wrists from a serious fall.

Having designed and custom fabricated orthopedic appliances for over 45 years this design would only be beneficial if you landed on a pillow. There is simply too much range of motion potential and not enough structural rigidity.  I love my Flexmeter wrist guards but they are still too short in length to overcome a substantial impact. Wrist guards with a longer leverage arm would be optimal. Short of wearing a wrist/ forearm  cast the Demons are still the best design IMHO. 

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

this design would only be beneficial if you landed on a pillow. 

😂😂😂

Perhaps I'll write to Flatearth3D (I mean Flatland3D) again and suggest that future models incorporate a large pillow on the palm 😂

Having designed and custom fabricated orthopedic appliances for over 45 years

Well... Several others, as well as myself, have hinted it's too bad Flexmeter, Demon and Knox aren't developing a product like this (glove-Flexmeter fusion / decent implementation of these gloves) for winter riding... 

You wouldn't happen to be interested in developing something of the sort, would you? ;)

Edited by travsformation
  • Like 1

Just looking at the biomechanical/ structural features (or lack there of  )that consists of 3 'Lively Hinges' incorporated into the exoskeletal framework does not provide me with any degree of satisfaction that this gear would protect my wrists from a serious fall.

Having designed and custom fabricated orthopedic appliances for over 45 years this design would only be beneficial if you landed on a pillow. There is simply too much range of motion potential and not enough structural rigidity.  I love my Flexmeter wrist guards but they are still too short in length to overcome a substantial impact. Wrist guards with a longer leverage arm would be optimal. Short of wearing a wrist/ forearm  cast the Demons are still the best design IMHO. 

The rigidity is plenty straight back, maybe even too much considering the short length. What is less certain is what would happen if you get a twisting force from an unclean impact.

The "hinge" in the flexmeters are the only such design I've seen so far that both solves the progressive resistance to overextension and protects against sideways forces.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, travsformation said:

😂😂😂

Perhaps I'll write to Flatearth3D (I mean Flatland3D) again and suggest that future models incorporate a large pillow on the palm 😂

Well... Several others, as well as myself, have hinted it's too bad Flexmeter, Demon and Knox aren't developing a product like this (glove-Flexmeter fusion / decent implementation of these gloves) for winter riding... 

You wouldn't happen to be interested in developing something of the sort, would you? ;)

A long glove-style protector in relatively soft and breathable materials, with the back plate construction from the flexmeters, the knox glide pads and some seriously tough abrasion resistant materials for the palms.

Add some armor for the knuckles, a quick close and release secure fastening method to make them as convenient as possible, and you would have a winner.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

A long glove-style protector in relatively soft and breathable materials, with the back plate construction from the flexmeters, the knox glide pads and some seriously tough abrasion resistant materials for the palms.

Add some armor for the knuckles, a quick close and release secure fastening method to make them as convenient as possible, and you would have a winner.

Check this out at 1:34...

There is your answer, very free movement yet protected 😉

Full body armor that would make @Marty Backe and @Rehab1 go green of envy....

latest?cb=20130202031006

• Like 3

1 hour ago, travsformation said:

😂😂😂

Thanks for putting faith in my abilities. :)Everything I fabricate is custom where I take a cast of the patient's affected anatomical region (ie: upper/ lower extremity, spine, cranium..etc)  to create a positive mold used in the fabrication process. Unfortunately the cost would be prohibitive especially when there is an off the shelf product that satisfies 90% of our requirements. 

If I remember right there were a few concerned members that gasped at the $150 cost for the custom protective covers I made for my wheels. Now my buddy @The Fat Unicyclist has cornered the market at the same price. Maybe I should have added a splash of different colors into the design like TFU. ;)

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

If I remember right there were a few concerned members that gasped at the $150 cost for the custom protective covers I made for my wheels. Now my buddy @The Fat Unicyclist has cornered the market at the same price. Maybe I should have added a splash of different colors into the design like TFU. ;)

But my wheel is evil and sexy now 😉😎

20190305_180132.thumb.jpg.77127c87053bb4314bfdce2b9fec1a92.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1