New Gloves: Flatland 3D E-Skate (Long Term Review)

12 hours ago, Jonesq said:

I have a pair of these as well. I haven't taken any falls yet so I can't attest to the effectiveness of the sliders and wrist guard. 

They have a unidirectional wrist guard that allows your wrist to bend in but not out.

The quality of the stitching was really poor on my first pair. The stitching ripped between the wrist fabric and the thumb fabric causing separate. Luckily I brought the issue up with Flatland3d and they agreed to send me a new pair. I have seen another person post about the exact same defect in another forum. 

Other than the fabric ripping, I do enjoy the gloves as they allow much more freedom of movement with my hands and are very easy to put on.

IMG_20190201_085752.pdf

IMG_20190201_085800.pdf

Daaamn, you were not kidding. They were comfy but after one ride started tearing apart when I barely used them. They're sending me another pair tho just like you:

IMG_20190201_180315.thumb.jpg.a81ee1084e76953a82eb06a03a6397c2.jpg

Edited by tihoa
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ordered the full gloves.

Curious what they are like and if the concept of sliding is actually any good as protection instead of a traditional wrist guard which I currently have. 

I spent a day day doing research and they seem great for asphalt/city riding but not good for off-road protection based on the principal of how they work. 

Update - My new right glove ripped in exactly the same way when I tried to put the gloves on. The glove literally ripped the first time I put in on my hand. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Jonesq said:

Update - My new right glove ripped in exactly the same way when I tried to put the gloves on. The glove literally ripped the first time I put in on my hand. 

Ummm.  Wow.  That’s not good.

how hard is it to spend what an extra 1$ a pair and use better stitching/thread.  Either they basically have a whole bad batch that slipped through QC or their design is shit.

If your customers are going to spend 60+ dollars on a pair of gloves, they won't mind paying a couple extra dollars for stitching that doesn't tear when you put it on.

so lazy...

• Upvote 1

That's cool that they acknowledge it and don't lie like many manufacturers do when things like this happen saying "oh no we haven't heard of anyone else having this issue".  Impressed that they owned up to and acknowledge it and detail what they are doing to fix it in future batches.

Hopefully it's just from that production run, I would be curious when they expect to have the second production run with the double reinforced stitching available.  

Maybe then it would be worth getting a pair to avoid the hassle.  Hopefully third time is the charm for you though.

1 hour ago, Heyzeus said:

That's cool that they acknowledge it and don't lie like many manufacturers do when things like this happen saying "oh no we haven't heard of anyone else having this issue".  Impressed that they owned up to and acknowledge it and detail what they are doing to fix it in future batches.

Hopefully it's just from that production run, I would be curious when they expect to have the second production run with the double reinforced stitching available.  

Maybe then it would be worth getting a pair to avoid the hassle.  Hopefully third time is the charm for you though.

I'm also impressed with the way they are handling this issue. While I'd prefer to receive the updated model, I get that they are a business and probably need to deplete their current stock first before starting on the new batch. Based on their customer service, I'd still recommend these gloves as they are way more comfortable than your standard wrist guard.

There is no ETA for the new production run currently according to the customer service rep. This was their response when I asked them when the new production run was projected to begin:

"Unfortunately there's just too many factors at play to be able to project that yet. I couldn't even narrow it down to weeks or months for you at this point."

Ok so I got my new gloves in the mail today and I decided to sew one up a bit to see how they'll hold up. I left one just normal for comparison. Also an update on the one week old gloves: I sewed the rip and they're holding up okay, but there is some serious wear that's showing up on the finger tips including fraying and the grip bits falling off.

The "feel" of these gloves are still better than all the roller derby gloves I've used (Hillbilly + Triple 8), the other ones just feel clunky and have a loose fit since they don't stretch. The original gloves I got have been holding up well after getting a quick sewing job, no further rips. But I am surprised to see the quick wear on the finger tips! I've only put maybe a dozen miles on them too, I have not been riding much due to the rain here in LA. I have not fallen yet but I'll post that up if it ever happens while wearing these.

1036158792_NewGloves.thumb.jpg.2593ad89fd9250f2e4eebb178faca4ab.jpg

Old Gloves.jpg

Edited by tihoa
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, tihoa said:

Ok so I got my new gloves in the mail today and I decided to sew one up a bit to see how they'll hold up. I left one just normal for comparison. Also an update on the one week old gloves: I sewed the rip and they're holding up okay, but there is some serious wear that's showing up on the finger tips including fraying and the grip bits falling off.

The "feel" of these gloves are still better than all the roller derby gloves I've used (Hillbilly + Triple 8), the other ones just feel clunky and have a loose fit since they don't stretch. The original gloves I got have been holding up well after getting a quick sewing job, no further rips. But I am surprised to see the quick wear on the finger tips! I've only put maybe a dozen miles on them too, I have not been riding much due to the rain here in LA. I have not fallen yet but I'll post that up if it ever happens while wearing these.

1036158792_NewGloves.thumb.jpg.2593ad89fd9250f2e4eebb178faca4ab.jpg

Old Gloves.jpg

I’m in LA too. Ha. 

Got mine today. Look nice.  Feel good on. Rode for 20 min and one is ripped in the same spot. Sent an email. Ugh.

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 5:56 AM, Girth Brooks said:

I can't spend $60 on gloves that will be shit quality out of the package so I am out on these. I hope they get you all a pair that will hold up to the price they charge for these gloves.

$2 to manufacture $60 dollars to sell, broken shortly after.

Seems about standard for the quality of things these days.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've ordered both the full and the fingerless ones, we'll see if I have the same trouble with the quality... But for them to acknowledge the bad batch and honor their warranty without question and delay, that makes me forgive a lot.

I'm planning to use these for normal street riding and use the flexmeters for off-road and for those times when I feel like pushing the speed.

My take on their function is that they would have worked very well in all the spills I've taken - up to and including my last cut-off at 20mph. As I have always landed with either a roll or a slide in mind, I have so far never actually used the over-extension back brace of the flexmeters. The gliding pads is what has saved me so far. For off road, where sliding might become problematical, I suspect full on wrist guards will still be superior. 

5 hours ago, Scatcat said:

I've ordered both the full and the fingerless ones, we'll see if I have the same trouble with the quality... But for them to acknowledge the bad batch and honor their warranty without question and delay, that makes me forgive a lot.

I'm planning to use these for normal street riding and use the flexmeters for off-road and for those times when I feel like pushing the speed.

My take on their function is that they would have worked very well in all the spills I've taken - up to and including my last cut-off at 20mph. As I have always landed with either a roll or a slide in mind, I have so far never actually used the over-extension back brace of the flexmeters. The gliding pads is what has saved me so far. For off road, where sliding might become problematical, I suspect full on wrist guards will still be superior. 

Basically exactly my thinking.  I have been wearing the new pair they sent me without them tearing yet.  But it looks like it is starting to wear thin.  The customer service was a big mark in the plus column for me.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, IRK said:

Basically exactly my thinking.  I have been wearing the new pair they sent me without them tearing yet.  But it looks like it is starting to wear thin.  The customer service was a big mark in the plus column for me.

On the minus column is the rather high price point. At that price they should be almost indestructible.

• Upvote 1