Concerns about waterproofing

Enny

Hey guys,

I want to get a EUC to commute to work everyday. The commute will be approximately 5.5km's round trip, which I currently bike. I moved recently which forced me to take routes that are more congested with car and pedestrian traffic making it very difficult to bike. I have been doing my homework the past week or so and narrowed down my options to King Song 14" 340wh, and the IPS 121 340wh.

I am mostly concerned about safety, and from what I have read the KS is one of the most well designed EUC's out there in terms of safety. So I am leaning towards that one. But I will be commuting rain or shine, and I have not been able to find any information on how waterproof the KS is. The USB port and the speakers holes kind of worry me.

Can anyone with experience on the KS weigh-in on the issue?

The external gaps and joints are fairly easy to seal with gaffer tape which comes in many colours to match or contrast with your euc, you could get arty and apply the tape as shaped patches if you're that way inclined.

The area of real concern is the centre seam of the case where even if it isn't raining the wheel kicks up any water or anything else that's on the ground. There are rumours that KS are sealing this seam now but I haven't checked it personally and if I intended to take it out in the rain I would split the case first just to check. If it turns out not to be sealed then a little silicon on that seam will effectively seal it and shouldn't be too hard to pull apart if and when you need to split it in the future for punctures etc.

Have you tried emailing the company direct?? I would be loathe to get an euc that was not suitably preotected from the elements is was using it to commute.

I've taken quite a few different wheels apart and have yet to find one that has been sealed on the case joint above the wheel, which is effectively the mud guard, so if I intended to use any wheel regularly in a wet environment I would definately split it and apply a little kichen or bathroom silicon sealant to the joint above the wheel first.

It's a good way to familiarise yourself with how your wheel is put together and what you'll need to do in the event of a puncture or part failure.

Thank you guys for the replies. From what it sounds like the KS is just as "water proof" as every other ECU. I am thinking I will go with the KS,and make sure to caulk up the center seam before I make any commutes in the rain.

Archived