Ninebot ES2: Error 18 and Electric brake / motor issue

eliothis

10 hours ago, furball said:

Just wondered if anyone has had a better experience with using the newer firmware 1.5.0 with its lower speed limit etc.

I've updated and I have ES1 with extended battery and I'm still getting the same speed 16Mph /27Kmh, i wish they would allow us to change this to 25mph since I know it can go that fast

On 5/9/2019 at 8:08 AM, Gorodeckij Dimitrij said:

ionbrain, could you please advise where to buy mosfets for es2? I found this  but its says 1CKD1 then mine is 1CKJ1 not sure if they fit? in my case first 3 in row shows 1 then I check them, others showing 0.720-0.760 - so expecting that replacement will help me to ride again? 

what are the symptoms of you not being able to ride your scooter?

Model ? extra battery? 

there is always going to be some variance in the values you get from chip to chip so a .3 is high by not uncommon.

does it power on? 

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't the easiest solution to buy an external bike light with mounting bracket and mount it to the handlebars. It will be brighter and won't have to worry about frying the control board and your speed will stay at 21mph max. That's what I did I completely disconnected the led from my es4 so I won't ever have this problem. 

On 7/22/2019 at 6:16 PM, Jose760 said:

Isn't the easiest solution to buy an external bike light with mounting bracket and mount it to the handlebars. It will be brighter and won't have to worry about frying the control board and your speed will stay at 21mph max. That's what I did I completely disconnected the led from my es4 so I won't ever have this problem. 

well i spoke to soon. i fried my control board the traces on the back of the mosfets burned up. i was going 21mph max speed and had to brake realy hard and i used the electric brake. after i tried to accelerate but my wheel locked up even when off. i put new control board in now its working again. im never going to use the electric brake only the back break or use my foot dragging on the ground like when on a skateboard. im also going to put new bullet connectors soldered and heat shrink tubing on the wire, they show no signs of melting but i just w.ant to be safe. im setting my max speed to 18mph and my motot constant to 50000.hopefuly my board lasts atleast 1 thousand miles but i wont hold  my breath.

On 7/25/2019 at 1:54 AM, Jose760 said:

well i spoke to soon. i fried my control board the traces on the back of the mosfets burned up. i was going 21mph max speed and had to brake realy hard and i used the electric brake. after i tried to accelerate but my wheel locked up even when off. i put new control board in now its working again. im never going to use the electric brake only the back break or use my foot dragging on the ground like when on a skateboard. im also going to put new bullet connectors soldered and heat shrink tubing on the wire, they show no signs of melting but i just w.ant to be safe. im setting my max speed to 18mph and my motot constant to 50000.hopefuly my board lasts atleast 1 thousand miles but i wont hold  my breath.

Well I would limit the speed, speed was not the issue. You were just gifted with a bad control board. The quality of the manufacturing isn't the greatest. I've drove mine for 500+ miles and have never had a failure yet, even in 107 F weather. I'm just lucky to get a good combination that lasted.
Mine is a ES4 and it's max speed is 17 mph so not sure how you get 21 mph, but that is a great speed and it's beyond the internal specs of the electrical circuits installed.

I've found that only Water is not your friend when it comes to riding these scooters.

On 7/26/2019 at 12:20 PM, ionbrain said:

Well I would limit the speed, speed was not the issue. You were just gifted with a bad control board. The quality of the manufacturing isn't the greatest. I've drove mine for 500+ miles and have never had a failure yet, even in 107 F weather. I'm just lucky to get a good combination that lasted.
Mine is a ES4 and it's max speed is 17 mph so not sure how you get 21 mph, but that is a great speed and it's beyond the internal specs of the electrical circuits installed.

I've found that only Water is not your friend when it comes to riding these scooters.

I flashed a custom firmware to it to achieve 21mph i dont think the regenerative braking system can handle the voltage from braking hard at those speeds and that's what fried my board I installed a new board and it's working like new again. 

• 2 months later...

Please post in English from now on. Use Google Translate if you need help with this.

-

Mam problem z uszkodzonym elementem na planszy, proszę o informacje o przedmiocie i gdzie mogę go kupić

[ Google Translate: I have a problem with a damaged item on the board, please provide information about the item and where I can buy it]

http://imgur.com/a/MkbGDDM

Edited by meepmeepmayer

That is a serious issue and you would be better getting a new controller board or a replacement clone type of board

you don't have the equipment to disconnect the chip off the board and most likely can reconnect it back.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Ruben said:

Hola yo tengo error 18 en mi scooter ninebot segway y nose exactamente lo que tengo que hacer alguien me puede explicar específicamente? :(

Google Translate:

Hi, I have error 18 on my ninebot segway scooter and I don't know exactly what I have to do. Can someone explain specifically to me?

-

Please add an English translation if you post in another language.

• 4 months later...
On 1/31/2019 at 6:55 PM, ionbrain said:

Error is 18 is that wire below the controller and battery are having issues and you need to take apart the unit and look at those wires, check for wear and tear. you might have a short on one of the 3 main wires, the yellow, Blue, Brown. (could be different colors, depending on what manufacture date is )

as for the rest, the symptoms tend to point to the controller board and could be the main fuse is failing (common problem) . This fix is not for casual people, you will need to remove this item and then resolder a replacement . This 'B' item is a high-speed 125 mA self-resetting fuse.  This degrades over time and needs to be replaced.

when you turn the light on it causes more power draw and causes this to constantly set and reset, slower speed and lockups on getting to hot

You could just build a solder bridge across the points, but this will increase your chances of a complete controller board burn-out. Its has been done and it will work but you really should order the replacement fuse and solder that. You will need long pointed tweezers to get this one off the board.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_7545.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_740b.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 9.40.03 AM.png

hi...you seem to have so much knowledge on these issues and i have a big problem with my scooter an i dont have a clue whats wrong or how to find a.ln fix the problem!!! could you help me please! 

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone, I have a Ninebot ES2 with additional battery and 1300km, error 18 appeared yesterday. I disassembled and repaired the wheel wiring (the connector and the brown cable melted). After the repair I tested and it worked, but I disconnected the control board and placing it on the work surface, a small copper wire joined 2 welds and made some sparks (battery disconnected, but electricity present in the capacitors). I reconnect and now nothing lights up, moreover smoke has come out of the component "680" in the attached photo.

https://imgur.com/a/BGGse5B

Can you tell me what component it is? is it possible to replace it?

Thank you

3 hours ago, Davide said:

moreover smoke has come out of the component "680" in the attached photo.

https://imgur.com/a/BGGse5B

Can you tell me what component it is? is it possible to replace it?

Thank you

It seems to be a 680nH SMD inductor. Yes it can be replaced, but soldering SMD components require rather good soldering skills. Also, I wouldn’t be sure that that is the only component damaged by the short.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mrelwood said:

It seems to be a 680nH SMD inductor. Yes it can be replaced, but soldering SMD components require rather good soldering skills. Also, I wouldn’t be sure that that is the only component damaged by the short.

Thanks for reply, but i can use any SMD inductor 680nH?

Sure there are other  component damage, advice on what to examine first? 

7 hours ago, Davide said:

Thanks for reply, but i can use any SMD inductor 680nH?

I can’t estimate the power rating of the toasted component, but if you purchase the largest one you can fit there, it should be fine.

7 hours ago, Davide said:

Sure there are other  component damage, advice on what to examine first? 

I can only offer uneducated guesses, but I would suspect that the nearby transistors and diodes would be the first ones to go. Can’t see the black component properly next to the inductor, under the red circle, but the soldering looks like it might have suffered.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

tambem tenho uma ninebot s4 que tem o problemado erro 18 mas ainda nao consegui resolver ja analizei todos os cabos e izulei alguns canos que estavam roidos mas continuo com o mesmo problema ate liguei o cpntrolador a outra roda que tinha e deume o mesmo erro porque que fosse problemada roda motor alguem me pode esplicar pff de uma forma delicada de como resolveresse problemapara que eu nao perca a minha trotinete pff

26 minutes ago, Cjcs said:

tambem tenho uma ninebot s4 que tem o problemado erro 18 mas ainda nao consegui resolver ja analizei todos os cabos e izulei alguns canos que estavam roidos mas continuo com o mesmo problema ate liguei o cpntrolador a outra roda que tinha e deume o mesmo erro porque que fosse problemada roda motor alguem me pode esplicar pff de uma forma delicada de como resolveresse problemapara que eu nao perca a minha trotinete pff

Please post in English from now on. Use Google Translate if you need help with this

I also have a ninebot s4 that has the problem error 18 but I still haven't solved it yet I analyzed all the cables and used some pipes that were gnawed but I still have the same problem until I connected the controller to another wheel that had the same error because was a motor wheel problem someone can explain pff to me in a delicate way of how to solve the problem so that i don't lose my scooter

Edited by stephen

Hi guys,

I've got an issue with my es4. It doesn't work and error 18 is showing on the screen. 

I have read that it could be coming from damaged Hall sensors however my primary concern is that the voltage significantly drops when I connect the motor. I get 5V from the wires running down the stem but as soon as I connect the motor the Voltage drops to 1.7V.

Your help would but highly appreciated!

Cheers 

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2019 at 1:00 PM, LA185 said:

Hi All,

i just encountered an error 18 issue and identified a burned out component on the control board as per picture. May i ask if someone knows what this component used to be? Thanks a lot in advance. 

01D5054D-0A35-4C2B-B794-E5212B4A23F4.jpeg

Hi! Do you know what the blown inductor called and where i can order it?

my is also borken.

• Like 1