I HAD A NICE RIDE TODAY (The Anti Face Plant Thread)

Smoother

LOCATION(S):Edited to remove locational information due to the boards insistence on revealing who is riding illegally 

TIME PERIOD:last week

WEATHER:cool to almost warm, sometimes sunny, various winds

DISTANCE TRAVELED: 30 miles?

WHICH WHEEL OR MAIN WHEEL USED: KS16S

WHO WAS WITH ME:  The King of Song

TOTAL DISTANCE ON THIS WHEEL: 1550km?

BEST MEMORY: Having a picnic on the bank of the river XXX, with 1/2 a bottle of wine and some nibbles, watching springtime approach.  Wheeling seemed a bit more "free and easy" after that :whistling:

WORST MEMORY: Nothing stands out

RECOMMENDATIONS/WARNINGS FOR RIDERS:  Have fun life is short, "someday" never comes.

•  
Edited by Smoother

I'll keep this short

LOCATION(S):  Taco Bell and back home during rush hour

WEATHER: light flurries

DISTANCE TRAVELED: 3.5 miles

WHICH WHEEL OR MAIN WHEEL USED: NB1 e+

BEST MEMORY: Cruising back home going 8-10 mph eating a burrito in left hand and sippin' on my sody pop in my right. Just had a big ol' smirk on my face as people looked on in wonderment.

WORST MEMORY: When I had finished both burritos

RECOMMENDATIONS/WARNINGS FOR RIDERS:  I shouldn't have done this but it's something I've wanted to do for a while since discovering EUCs, having hands free is a big reason I bought one over a scooter or e-board

*this post is not sponsored by Taco Bell*

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, tenofnine said:

I shouldn't have done this but it's something I've wanted to do for a while since discovering EUCs, having hands free is a big reason I bought one over a scooter or e-board

Why not? What's the worst that could have happened?  Throw your burrito and soda down the road mid face plant? No, In my book you did it right. Although how you kept burrito juices from running down your arm while riding is anyone's guess.:cheers:

5 hours ago, Smoother said:

Why not? What's the worst that could have happened?  Throw your burrito and soda down the road mid face plant? No, In my book you did it right. Although how you kept burrito juices from running down your arm while riding is anyone's guess.:cheers:

There was only one time where the red sauce almost overflowed on me, and that's surprising knowing how I roll (extra red sauce no onions). Just had to slurp it out and continue riding *that's what she said lol*  :lol:

I post a little thing here. So not using the  template....

Last Friday I had a fantastic ride. Not really sire how far but about 45ish km around different places in Gothenburg area. Great spring weather joing forst by @Jens Ronnedal and the later @Yffisch.

So recommendations: look out for skaters...

Now I  didn't faceplant but I ended up with an accident resulting in a dislocated shoulder. 

Despite that it was a really nice ride. Thanks for the company @Jens Ronnedal and to you too @Yffisch.

• Like 2

On 3/22/2019 at 4:13 PM, MBIKER_SURFER said:

DATE: 01/04/2019

TIME:2h 30'

WEATHER: Sunny 

DISTANCE TRAVELED: 44,8 km 

WHICH WHEEL OR MAIN WHEEL USED: V10 F

WHO WAS WITH ME: The sun and a cold east wind -  5 bft

TOTAL DISTANCE ON THIS WHEEL: 4200 km

BEST FEATURE OF THE RIDE: Partially  without gloves 

WORST FEATURE OF THE RIDE: nearly run out of battery - red LED was blinking already

RECOMMENDATIONS/WARNINGS FOR RIDERS: Be careful  - sun is tricky - always take a spare jacket with you - could be really cold with east/north wind

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MBIKER_SURFER said:

On 3/22/2019 at 4:13 PM,MBIKER_SURFER said:

DATE: 01/04/2019

TIME:2h 30'

WEATHER: Sunny 

DISTANCE TRAVELED: 44,8 km 

WHO WAS WITH ME: The sun and a cold east wind -  5 bft

TOTAL DISTANCE ON THIS WHEEL: 4200 km

BEST FEATURE OF THE RIDE: Partially  without gloves 

WORST FEATURE OF THE RIDE: nearly run out of battery - red LED was blinking already

RECOMMENDATIONS/WARNINGS FOR RIDERS: Be careful  - sun is tricky - always take a spare jacket with you - could be really cold with east/north wind

Woha that is a water seal rework that is nothing short of impressive. Riding: The North sea 😎😄

DATE: April 6th

TIME: 3-ish pm to 6-ish pm

WEATHER: Very nice, 6-7 kt winds

DISTANCE TRAVELED: Just shy of 62 km

WHICH WHEEL OR MAIN WHEEL USED: KS18XL

WHO WAS WITH ME: The whole world (except one dog)

TOTAL DISTANCE ON THIS WHEEL: 208 km

BEST FEATURE OF THE RIDE: Riding on nice trials and roads

WORST FEATURE OF THE RIDE: The aforementioned dog that didn't like me standing on my wheel, and tried to pull me off it. It actually pulled on my trousers, and nearly caused me to fall.

RECOMMENDATIONS/WARNINGS FOR RIDERS: Stay away from dogs who doesn't like people on EUCs

Edited by Olav
  • Like 1

DATE: 06/04/2019

TIME:2h 20'

WEATHER: Sunny and warm 

DISTANCE TRAVELED: 50,1 km 

WHO WAS WITH ME: The sun and fog on the north sea

TOTAL DISTANCE ON THIS WHEEL: 4300 km

BEST FEATURE OF THE RIDE:  totally warm - weak winds 

WORST FEATURE OF THE RIDE: on a new part of the bikeroad - many pepples - really dangerous

RECOMMENDATIONS/WARNINGS FOR RIDERS: Use these super warm days - real fun 

Edited by MBIKER_SURFER
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Olav said:

The aforementioned dog that didn't like me standing on my wheel, and tried to pull me off it. It actually pulled on my trousers, and nearly caused me to fall.

I carry a stick (60cm ish) it's for this type of dog.  On my last ride (last week) a big dog came charging and barking at me from a full 50m on my left and slightly behind.  I was no where near the family it was with and the path I was on led further away from them, so I was no threat, actual, perceived or otherwise.  I turned to face the dog, stopped, raised the stick high in the air and shouted at the owner "CONTROL YOUR DOG!"  He did, because I don't think he would have liked the way I was going to "control" it.  I WILL NOT BE A VICTIM OF SOMEONES F..ING OUT OF CONTROL DOG.

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, Smoother said:

I carry a stick (60cm ish) it's for this type of dog.  On my last ride (last week) a big dog came charging and barking at me from a full 50m on my left.  I was no where near the family it was with and the path I was on led further away from them, so I was no threat, actual, perceived or otherwise.  I turned to face the dog, stopped, raised the stick high in the air and shouted at the owner "CONTROL YOUR DOG!"  He did, because I don't think he would have liked the way I was going to "control" it.  I WILL NOT BE A VICTIM OF SOMEONES F..ING OUT OF CONTROL DOG.

Dogs on walking paths are the worst. I like dogs but people can hardly control them and when something does happen you’re supposed to just excuse it because it’s a “cute dog “

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Smoother said:

I carry a stick (60cm ish) it's for this type of dog.  On my last ride (last week) a big dog came charging and barking at me from a full 50m on my left.  I was no where near the family it was with and the path I was on led further away from them, so I was no threat, actual, perceived or otherwise.  I turned to face the dog, stopped, raised the stick high in the air and shouted at the owner "CONTROL YOUR DOG!"  He did, because I don't think he would have liked the way I was going to "control" it.  I WILL NOT BE A VICTIM OF SOMEONES F..ING OUT OF CONTROL DOG.

The owner were there, and tried to call it back, but couldn't (at least not at first). It happened just at the border of an area for dogs, where they can run around freely, but I'm unsure if they have to be leashed were it happened. 

I see the point of carrying a stick, or something for that kind of purpose, but it would look strange and kind of ominous to carry this in residential areas and most places I ride. This is the first time a dog has gotten hold of me, usually they're restrained by their owners if they react to the wheel. So I don't think it will be necessary for me to start carrying anything.

Though, others may see the need, as you do.

9 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

Dogs on walking paths are the worst. I like dogs but people can hardly control them and when something does happen you’re supposed to just excuse it because it’s a “cute dog “

The few times this has happened to me its been big/bigger dogs, none of those were what you would call cute (don't know what rase this dog was, but one once that didn't like me, that was restrained, was a Border Collie) e.g. pomeranian, etc.

Edited by Olav

1 hour ago, Olav said:

I see the point of carrying a stick, or something for that kind of purpose, but it would look strange and kind of ominous to carry this in residential areas and most places I ride. This is the first time a dog has gotten hold of me, usually they're restrained by their owners if they react to the wheel. So I don't think it will be necessary for me to start carrying anything.

Though, others may see the need, as you do.

My experience is that most owners do a really shitty job of restraining the dogs. The biggest issue is they do not know their dog will react to an EUC because their dog has never seen an EUC.  Although the owner of the black labrador (mentioned below) said he reacts the same way to the other EUC.  So, some know, and still don't care (hence the stick)

I don't advocate carrying a stick because technically it could be interpreted as an offensive weapon. Actually two dogs tried to have a go at me on that ride, and the week before a black Labrador chased me and in my efforts to turn and face him I fell on my ass. He got to within a few feet.  I was 10 feet from the bank of a river so I could have potentially lost my wheel too. The stick is more a deterrent (for dog owners to see and interpret accordingly) and as a last resort as a defensive weapon.  I have had to swing it at a few dogs but no actual contact to date.  I'm actually thinking of installing some short spikes to one end, 3 or 4mm long to use as a jabbing device.  Something to put in the dogs face as he chases me to maintain a safe perimeter, but not long enough to cause permanent injury. In the UK a dog that causes a person fear is classed as a dangerous dog.  A dangerous dog can be confiscated and put down.  So I'm really doing the owners a favor, because if I have to go undefended I think I will have to start calling in "dangerous dog" attacks to the police.  And in about 3 days they might respond.

I really don't want to start whacking on people's "darling" family pets, but as I sad I refuse to be a victim.

I don't think most people see the stick, they are so intrigued with the wheel I could be carrying a severed human arm and they probably wouldn't notice.

Edited by Smoother

1 hour ago, Olav said:

usually they're restrained by their owners if they react to the wheel

That's an ideal world. Here in the UK people think that because they love their dog eveyone else should, so they see no reson to keep it leashed.  Also they are lazy, allowing the dog to run around so they don't have to. But those on a leash are often on those f..ing 30foot long retractable things that always seem to be stretched out ALL THE WAY across a walking/cycle path.  Maybe I should start carrying scissors too.:confused1:

22 minutes ago, Smoother said:

My experience is that most owners do a really shitty job of restraining the dogs. The biggest issue is they do not know their dog will react to an EUC because their dog has never seen an EUC.  Although the owner of the black labrador (mentioned below) said he reacts the same way to the other EUC.  So, some know, and still don't care (ence the stick)

I don't advocate carrying a stick because technically it could be interpreted as an offensive weapon. Actually two dogs tried to have a go at me on that ride, and the week before a black Labrador chased me and in my efforts to turn and face him I fell on my ass. He got to within a few feet.  I was 10 feet from the bank of a river so I could have potentially lost my wheel too. The stick is more a deterrent (for dog owners to see and interpret accordingly) and as a last resort as a defensive weapon.  I have had to swing it at a few dogs but no actual contact to date.  I'm actually thinking of installing some short spikes to one end, 3 or 4mm long to use as a jabbing device.  Something to put in the dogs face as he chases me to maintain a safe perimeter, but not long enough to cause permanent injury. In the UK a dog that causes a person fear is classed as a dangerous dog.  A dangerous dog can be confiscated and put down.  So I'm really doing the owners a favor, because if I have to go undefended I think I will have to start calling in "dangerous dog" attacks to the police.  And in about 3 days they might respond.

I really don't want to start whacking on people's "darling" family pets, but as I sad I refuse to be a victim.

Luckily I don't see that very often, 95+% of people keep their dog on a leash where I ride.

A selfie-stick would probably do the trick, very very few would see that and think; weapon! 
It would suck to loose once wheel due to this.

Possibly it would help if people were made more aware of this, that their pet could be put down if they attack. Who knows, I'm glad we don't have (afaik) this issue here in Norway :)

22 minutes ago, Smoother said:

I don't think most people see the stick, they are so intrigued with the wheel I could be carrying a severed human arm and they probably wouldn't notice.

I don't think you should attemt this though :P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Olav said:

A selfie-stick would probably do the trick, very very few would see that and think; weapon! 

Good idea.  Someone here says he carry s a strong umbrella. My stick is very light (read; quick to swing) so it's not deadly per se, but a swift rap across the face would certainly get anyone's attention. Or it can be used to jab or maintain a safety perimeter. 

It's also really handy for folding my pedal out without having to bend down. and it makes a great mono pod on a railing or table, to steady my camera :D

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 2

I feel kind of bad riding the EUC around dogs, I think the high pitched whine these things emit is like an extremely loud air-horn going off constantly to us (I think). They can hear it very clearly but it barely registers for us. It's why I'm glad I have lower powered EUCs for now, they don't seem to mind the NB1e+ or the V5F. I assume it's because they aren't as noisy at lower speeds.

Still though people should be following laws and not letting their dogs muck about freely (AND SCOOP UP YO POOP!)

Edited by tenofnine
  • Like 1

The strange thing is that most dogs aren't bothered at all, but it's not like they are deaf.  Then when you start to think it's just the little nasty ones, you get chased by three large ones in a row. One that chased me still wanted nothing to do with me after I stepped off and chatted with the owner.  Even the owner could not get the dog to trust me and the wheel was 5 feet away. So noise doesn't seem to be the common denominator.  Someone thought it might be because we move in a foreign way, that is outside their frame of reference that makes us threatening so they attack.  It's also a human trait; fear anything you don't understand then rally for your legislators to ban it (especially if you do not use yourself).

Hmm ok good to know, I've only encountered like 7 different dogs (mostly neighbors) and it's so interesting how varied the reactions are. One wanted to chase me in a playful way, another was really angry at my wheel (like it owed him dog treats), 3 didn't care at all, the others just gave me a WTF?! look.

I thought it was mainly a sound thing because there are 2 dogs that can't see me going past but they always charge the fence or window when they hear me coming, and my wheels are pretty silent except for the subtle engine whine. But they are dogs maybe they can hear the tire against concrete or something else.

1 minute ago, tenofnine said:

Hmm ok good to know, I've only encountered like 7 different dogs (mostly neighbors) and it's so interesting how varied the reactions are. One wanted to chase me in a playful way, another was really angry at my wheel (like it owed him dog treats), 3 didn't care at all, the others just gave me a WTF?! look.

I thought it was mainly a sound thing because there are 2 dogs that can't see me going past but they always charge the fence or window when they hear me coming, and my wheels are pretty silent except for the subtle engine whine. But they are dogs maybe they can hear the tire against concrete or something else.

Well it's quite possible for the two that can't see you it is a sound thing, but for the three that don't care it doesn't seem they care about the sound.  I don't think they all act the same, just like humans. Do these same 2 dogs charge the fence when you walk by, or do you not usually walk that way?

I've lived in a few places where yard dogs charge and bark at any movement outside their fence, seen or unseen. I guess it's what the owners have them for; boundry defence. It's f.ing annoying because it scares the s..t out of you, and it's annoying because they do it to everyone so the noise is all day long.

6 hours ago, Smoother said:

Well it's quite possible for the two that can't see you it is a sound thing, but for the three that don't care it doesn't seem they care about the sound.  I don't think they all act the same, just like humans. Do these same 2 dogs charge the fence when you walk by, or do you not usually walk that way?

I've lived in a few places where yard dogs charge and bark at any movement outside their fence, seen or unseen. I guess it's what the owners have them for; boundry defence. It's f.ing annoying because it scares the s..t out of you, and it's annoying because they do it to everyone so the noise is all day long.

When I walk by if it's real quiet and they can clearly hear my foot steps they will saunter over to try and see what is coming by but they usually don't bark or make noise at all. But the wheel makes them go bonkers when it comes withing earshot, my bike would probably have the same reaction though I've never tried it.

5 hours ago, tenofnine said:

When I walk by if it's real quiet and they can clearly hear my foot steps they will saunter over to try and see what is coming by but they usually don't bark or make noise at all. But the wheel makes them go bonkers when it comes withing earshot, my bike would probably have the same reaction though I've never tried it.

Well that just goes to show, they all react differently. The black Lab that charged me last week was a good 50m away when it started the charge.  I was probably doing 12mph so not making a lot of noise.  There was also a noisy weir nearby.  I would say it would have been almost impossible for it to hear me, so my suspicion was that it was threatened by my strange way of moving.

It would be interesting to hear from new age Gotway riders (riding the next generation "silent" wheels) if they get chased at all.

Why can't they all be like the ones that go "meh!" and get on about their business!

Guest PogArt Artur
14 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Well that just goes to show, they all react differently. The black Lab that charged me last week was a good 50m away when it started the charge.  I was probably doing 12mph so not making a lot of noise.  There was also a noisy weir nearby.  I would say it would have been almost impossible for it to hear me, so my suspicion was that it was threatened by my strange way of moving.

It would be interesting to hear from new age Gotway riders (riding the next generation "silent" wheels) if they get chased at all.

Why can't they all be like the ones that go "meh!" and get on about their business!

On that case @Smoother probably the dog did clock your movement,what did trigger him chasing you,it's just instinct I guess.

I have used that trick in past,to catch the dog...

I did let the poor dog to run free (in army), he was chained up, so I felt sorry,and I wanted to let him feel some freedom :)

The dog obviously wasn't trained to come - I didn't know it!

He started behaving like wide horse, running everywhere, smelling everything, not reacting to my call at all...

I started running after him to catch him, obviously he's had four of fast legs :)

I knew I can't get him, so I started making a noise to get his attention, and running opposite way,making him chase me ...

It had worked :)

So I could chained him back at his place...

Edited by PogArt Artur

DATE: April 7th

TIME: 3-ish pm to 5:30-ish pm

WEATHER: Very nice, 6-7 kt winds

DISTANCE TRAVELED: Just shy of 51 km

WHICH WHEEL OR MAIN WHEEL USED: KS18XL

WHO WAS WITH ME: Sia (unfortunatly not in person :P)

TOTAL DISTANCE ON THIS WHEEL: 260 km

BEST FEATURE OF THE RIDE: Riding on nice trials and roads, and Sia

WORST FEATURE OF THE RIDE: Had to step off the wheel up a steep and rocky path, the wheel got its first small nick (except for pedalscrapes) :cry2:. After ascending said trail, I rode along a very narrow path (20-45cm/ 8-18 inches wide) for about 2 km, this was a bit nerve wracking as the path was about 10 cm below the terrain around, so was close to hitting the plates several times.

RECOMMENDATIONS/WARNINGS FOR RIDERS: Enjoy your rides!

Edited by Olav
  • Like 1