I HAD A NICE RIDE TODAY (The Anti Face Plant Thread)

Smoother

20 hours ago, Lutalo said:

Washington, DC, USA

DATE:

Monday 2/18/2019

TIME:

12 pm Start 

WEATHER:

Sunny,  Cold, Very windy

DISTANCE TRAVELED:

30 miles

WHICH WHEEL OR MAIN WHEEL USED: KS18XL

WHO WAS WITH ME:

God and my ancestors

TOTAL DISTANCE ON THIS WHEEL:

350 kms

BEST FEATURE OF THE RIDE:

Miles upon miles of beautiful paved trail carving through dense natural forest alongside creeks and river front (Anacostia River)

WORST FEATURE OF THE RIDE:

The cold and the forceful wind blasts; especially near the river. Only completed half of my intended 60 miler because the winds were too high and quickly brought even colder temps for which I was grossly under-dressed to handle.

BEST MEMORY:

Warm, moist baked Spinach Patties at Turning Natural Cafe in Anacostia, Southeast DC. I purchased two to eat there, and four more to share at home with the Queen Bee; absolutely delicious 😋 

WORST MEMORY/EXPERIENCE:

Due to the high winds, I rode the subway home and the platforms and cars were very crowded even on a holiday

RECOMMENDATIONS/WARNINGS FOR RIDERS: 

Never ride EUCs in high wind conditions. 

Winds = no problem. Really cold winds = no f*ing way!

First time I rode in high wind conditions, I was scared almost shitless. Especially since the wind came in powerful gusts with lulls between them to almost make you relax. I felt like a kite.

The second time I rode in similar conditions I couldn't care less :D 

Really cold winds OTOH, like the storm gust sea breezes in mid-winter Gothenburg, those are killers. You'll feel like a popsicle (especially ANY appendages you might have had when you started out), and you're a high risk for prostatitis unless you're smart enough to have long-johns on.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

First time I rode in high wind conditions, I was scared almost shitless. Especially since the wind came in powerful gusts with lulls between them to almost make you relax. I felt like a kite.

Really cold winds OTOH, like the storm gust sea breezes in mid-winter Gothenburg, those are killers. You'll feel like a popsicle (especially ANY appendages you might have had when you started out), and you're a high risk for prostatitis unless you're smart enough to have long-johns on.

:D. Right It was freezing cold and felt like the wind gusts were shot from a canon when they hit you; doable, but very unsettling.

All of riding riding comrades amaze me. You guys will ride through hurricanes, tornadoes, floods,  earthquakes, blizzards, packed snow and ice. I ride paved trails and streets that feel like a dirt trail in the Rocky Mountains.

3 hours ago, Scatcat said:

Hard side gusts are tricky in open areas or in high build urban areas when passing side streets. 

Mainly due to the unpredictable force you have to counter. A nightmage on my V8, not as bad on KS18L  but still not my prefered riding weather.

In general I dislike high windy conditions and cloudless sunshine, especially combined with snow.

DATE: Feb. 22nd

TIME: 3 pm

WEATHER: Windy, but otherwise good

DISTANCE TRAVELED: Just over 12 km

WHICH WHEEL OR MAIN WHEEL USED: Tesla

WHO WAS WITH ME: The N2, O2 and all other gases around

TOTAL DISTANCE ON THIS WHEEL: A bit over 1100 km

BEST FEATURE OF THE RIDE: The joy

WORST FEATURE OF THE RIDE: The apprehension while riding on gravel/dirt after blowing a mosfet on it recently.

RECOMMENDATIONS/WARNINGS FOR RIDERS: Ride ride ride!

Edited by Olav
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Unventor said:

Hard side gusts are tricky in open areas or in high build urban areas when passing side streets. 

Mainly due to the unpredictable force you have to counter. A nightmage on my V8, not as bad on KS18L  but still not my prefered riding weather.

In general I dislike high windy conditions and cloudless sunshine, especially combined with snow.

High winds with gusts and icy conditions is scary as hell.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Scatcat said:

Lack of long-johns will make you  prostitute yourself? :shock2: What should I charge?;)

• Like 1

DAY/WEEKEND FORM. SEE BELOW FOR WEEK TO SEASON TIME FRAME FORM. (COPY AND PASTE, THE SECTION YOU NEED, DO NOT QUOTE)

========================================================================

DATE:

TIME:

WEATHER:

DISTANCE TRAVELED:

WHICH WHEEL OR MAIN WHEEL USED:

WHO WAS WITH ME:

TOTAL DISTANCE ON THIS WHEEL:

RECOMMENDATIONS/WARNINGS FOR RIDERS: 

===============================================================================================================

ALTERNATE TEMPLATE FOR REPORTING A TIME PERIOD OF YOUR CHOICE (WEEK, MONTH, SEASON, ETC) (COPY AND PASTE, DO NOT QUOTE)

=======================

LOCATION(S):

TIME PERIOD:

WEATHER:

DISTANCE TRAVELED:

WHO WAS WITH ME:

BEST MEMORY:

WORST MEMORY:

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

Lack of long-johns will make you  prostitute yourself? :shock2: What should I charge?;)

If you truly don't know prostatitis, be sure not to look it up. You can live your whole life without wanting to know what that feels like. :barf:

• Like 1

DATE: Feb 22  2019

TIME: 16:30

WEATHER: heavy rain, moderate rain, clouds. windy  52F

DISTANCE TRAVELED:  5 miles

WHICH WHEEL OR MAIN WHEEL USED: MS3vs+

WHO WAS WITH ME: Lots of ducks and frogs

TOTAL DISTANCE ON THIS WHEEL: 750 miles 

BEST FEATURE OF THE RIDE: water front view of water foul 

WORST FEATURE OF THE RIDE: Non stop rain 

RECOMMENDATIONS/WARNINGS FOR RIDERS: I gave up on ever seeing sunshine again. Sometimes you just have to ride in the rain 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Smoother said:

DATE: 23.02.2019

TIME: 15:00

WEATHER: Sunny but cold

DISTANCE TRAVELED: 40km

WHICH WHEEL OR MAIN WHEEL USED: Kingsong KS16C

WHO WAS WITH ME: Michael Myers

TOTAL DISTANCE ON THIS WHEEL: 1250km

BEST FEATURE OF THE RIDE: everything 

WORST FEATURE OF THE RIDE: to short

RECOMMENDATIONS/WARNINGS FOR RIDERS: watch out for squirrels in the woods 

• Like 2

DATE: 2018-09-03

TIME: 13:30

WEATHER: Sunny

DISTANCE TRAVELED: 58.9 km

WHICH WHEEL OR MAIN WHEEL USED: KingSong KS18L

WHO WAS WITH ME: Just me

TOTAL DISTANCE ON THIS WHEEL: 350 km

BEST FEATURE OF THE RIDE: longest ride without stopping on the KS18L (had lots of energy left), also did the 200+km speed unlock so now i can go to 50kph

WORST FEATURE OF THE RIDE: inattentive pedestrians

RECOMMENDATIONS/WARNINGS FOR RIDERS: Just run the pedestrians over, dont bother swerving 

2019-02-23 11_22_54-Window.jpg

Edited by PotatoInside
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

DATE: 2018-08-05

TIME: ~14:00 

WEATHER:Sunny

DISTANCE TRAVELED: 61.84 km

WHICH WHEEL OR MAIN WHEEL USED: Gotway Tesla

WHO WAS WITH ME: my S9+ for gps recording and my iPhone 6 for speedo

TOTAL DISTANCE ON THIS WHEEL: ~1400km

BEST FEATURE OF THE RIDE: Longest Ride on the Tesla without stopping, had 28% battery left 

WORST FEATURE OF THE RIDE: didn't run the battery to <5% for a true range test

RECOMMENDATIONS/WARNINGS FOR RIDERS: Better to use robotic legs so they don't get sore, organic legs just sucks.

2018-08-05 20_41_19-Google Fit.jpg

Screenshot_20180805-201035_Fit.jpg

Edited by PotatoInside
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

DATE: 2018-05-27

TIME: 09:34

WEATHER: Sunny

DISTANCE TRAVELED: 96.9 km (split into 2 long rides with a full recharge in the afternoon)

WHICH WHEEL OR MAIN WHEEL USED: KingSong KS16S

WHO WAS WITH ME: Just me

TOTAL DISTANCE ON THIS WHEEL: ~1118 km

BEST FEATURE OF THE RIDE: Gained lots of exp, went on difficult trails, unintentionally drew a dick on the map

WORST FEATURE OF THE RIDE: alpha cyclists that think they are superior

RECOMMENDATIONS/WARNINGS FOR RIDERS: Wheel needs to have at least 2000w of power, need to show those cyclists Who's who in the zoo.

==============================================

2019-02-23 11_41_47-Window.jpg

SmartSelect_20180519-201443_Fit.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

WHO WAS WITH ME: Michael Myers 

The whole trip? And you survived? :blink:

I know where I'm not going come October... :P

On second though, this could mean that YOU are Michael Myers... :cry2::cry2:

DATE: Feb. 28nd

TIME: 11 am to 2 pm

WEATHER: Nice! Bit cold, and a little bit windy, but the sun was out!

DISTANCE TRAVELED: 40 km

WHO WAS WITH ME: Mrs N. O. Body

TOTAL DISTANCE ON THIS WHEEL: 1262 km

BEST FEATURE OF THE RIDE: The sun, the open road/bikelanes/pavements, etc

WORST FEATURE OF THE RIDE: Could do with a bit less wind, though not no wind (which then becomes fog...)

RECOMMENDATIONS/WARNINGS FOR RIDERS: Have fun!

Found a skate park, gave it a go, but I think @NonStopNeal is better in those than I am :P

• Like 2

DAY/WEEKEND FORM. SEE BELOW FOR WEEK TO SEASON TIME FRAME FORM. (COPY AND PASTE, THE SECTION YOU NEED, DO NOT QUOTE)

========================================================================

DATE:

TIME:

WEATHER:

DISTANCE TRAVELED:

WHO WAS WITH ME:

===============================================================================================================

ALTERNATE TEMPLATE FOR REPORTING A TIME PERIOD OF YOUR CHOICE (WEEK, MONTH, SEASON, ETC) (COPY AND PASTE, DO NOT QUOTE)

=======================

LOCATION(S):

TIME PERIOD:

WEATHER:

DISTANCE TRAVELED:

WHO WAS WITH ME:

BEST MEMORY:

WORST MEMORY:

LOCATION(S):Edited to remove locational information due to the boards insistence on revealing who is riding illegally 

TIME PERIOD:This last week

WEATHER: Mostly sunny and unseasonable warm, today the season has returned

DISTANCE TRAVELED: about 30 miles total

WHICH WHEEL OR MAIN WHEEL USED: KS16s

WHO WAS WITH ME: hundreds of people enjoying the weather and about 20 swans (my new buddies)

TOTAL DISTANCE ON THIS WHEEL: 1400km 

BEST MEMORY(S): Watching all the rowing activity; today they had a regatta, so tons of skiffs on the water. Feeding about 20 swans peanuts, some of them hand feed.

WORST MEMORY:Hand feeding swans.....it hurts (naah! it wasn't that bad really, but I won't be doing it again any time soon)

RECOMMENDATIONS/WARNINGS FOR RIDERS: Don't hand feed swans if you want to keep the skin on your fingers :D.  And I've just read it's not good to socialize them to humans because sick violent people can more easily capture them, so I definitely wont be doing that again.

PS the  peanuts are from a bag titled "wild bird feed", the pheasants at home seem to like them too.

Edited by Smoother

• 2 weeks later...

LOCATION:Edited to remove locational information due to the boards insistence on revealing who is riding illegally 

DATE: Monday

TIME: afternoon

WEATHER: sunny but very windy

DISTANCE TRAVELED: 7 miles maybe (i don't use telemetry as a rule)

WHICH WHEEL OR MAIN WHEEL USED: KS16s

WHO WAS WITH ME: Swans, ducks, Canadian Geese, some other type of geese

TOTAL DISTANCE ON THIS WHEEL: 1410km

BEST FEATURE OF THE RIDE: Meeting a  very interesting lady from Latvia

WORST FEATURE OF THE RIDE: Almost doing a @travsformation by forgetting a well known road obstacle (three tree roots under the black top, close together) I only hit the first one, flew over the last two, and landed forward on the pedals but with my body weight rearward.  Braking to regain control was very awkward, but I made it.

RECOMMENDATIONS/WARNINGS FOR RIDERS: Don't get complacent, even the stuff you know about is waiting to throw you down the road.And that stuff will wait as long as it takes to catch you out.

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 1

Since my last update:

LOCATION(S): SW Norway

TIME PERIOD: March (so far)

WEATHER: Mostly no rain, bit windy, sometimes sunny!

DISTANCE TRAVELED: 260 km

WHO WAS WITH ME: Noone but everyone I passed, or who passed me

TOTAL DISTANCE ON THIS WHEEL: 1540km

BEST MEMORY: Playing around in a bikepark, less than 1m wide tracks going inbetween trees. Good fun! Felt it in my legs after :D

WORST MEMORY: Somehow pulled a muscle in my back during a ride, have no idea how it happened :blink: Almost back to normal now.

RECOMMENDATIONS/WARNINGS FOR RIDERS: Winter is ending (northern hemisphere...), more riding opportunities! :thumbup:

• Like 1

DATE: 3/13/19

TIME: 9am

WEATHER: Sunny, 62

DISTANCE TRAVELED: 16.5km

WHICH WHEEL OR MAIN WHEEL USED: KS16S

WHO WAS WITH ME: Solo flight

TOTAL DISTANCE ON THIS WHEEL: 1380km

BEST FEATURE OF THE RIDE: It's been very wet and cold for L.A., and this was the first morning that I felt warm and comfortable on my journey to work.   All of my gear was working well, drivers were mostly tame and the weather was perfect.   It's nice having zen time on the wheel prior to a long work day to get your mind and body ready.   Also, it'll be nice to spend after work time on the wheel to decompress before walking in the door.   Definitely happy that I'm able to use my wheel commuting.

WORST FEATURE OF THE RIDE: Eventually I did make it to work, although I love my job so it's not really bad at all.

RECOMMENDATIONS/WARNINGS FOR RIDERS: I think commuting on an EUC is awesome, please just armor up appropriately and use everything learned from motorcycle safety training when out riding. 

Edited by Dzlchef
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dzlchef said:

It's nice having zen time on the wheel prior to a long work day to get your mind and body ready.   Also, it'll be nice to spend after work time on the wheel to decompress before walking in the door.   Definitely happy that I'm able to use my wheel commuting.

That's the best description of the benefits of an EUC commute I've heard.  Makes me wish I wasn't retired.:rolleyes:

Lynnwood/Edmonds, WA

DATE:

3/13/19

TIME:

4:30 Start

WEATHER:

Partly Sunny 48°

DISTANCE TRAVELED:

16 Miles

WHICH WHEEL OR MAIN WHEEL USED: KS18XL

WHO WAS WITH ME:

Weed

TOTAL DISTANCE ON THIS WHEEL:

17 Miles

Nice new wheel ooo la la

It was cold, and the weather's been bad so I had to be vigilant of slippery mudpatches

BEST MEMORY:

The Sunny parts because it was cold

WORST MEMORY/EXPERIENCE:

I rode by the skatepark and there was still snow in the bowl... WTF. There's no snow at all the other skateparks around but the one RIGHT next to me is shady all day and there's snow in the goddamn bowl. I know I should shovel it out, but I'm an old man. Where's the young skateboarders to shovel the goddamnbowl? 

RECOMMENDATIONS/WARNINGS FOR RIDERS: 

Watch out for slippery mud patches on corners

• Like 1