UK import charges?

Planemo

I dont have a major issue with riding the roads tbh, I just dont think I would enjoy it given they are usually busy round here, narrow too and even if I did, I would want to be pretty proficient before doing do. Lake Meadows is an option, but the pathway is really narrow in most places. Could probably find a grassed area away from people but couldnt be sure about how flat/well kept it was. You are right about the tennis court but would be a gamble on whether its was empty or not. There is actually a small skatepark there too, but usually full of hoodies. Your comment re the Stort sounds good, I wouldnt be averse to the drive but it also reminded me of an old train route I have done on the bikes which goes from Braintree I think. Thats not a major drive for me but as you say, trying to find somewhere thats convienient for both of us is tricky. I appreciate your help though. Like you say, I will just need to work with what I have. Re the Stort, is that a place you could get to or were you suggesting it for just myself? I wasn't sure from the way you wrote it.

Also just sprung to mind is Gloucester Park in Basildon. Lots of open spaces there to practice in although much of it grassed. Think its kept fairly well though, I taught both my kids how to ride a bike there. Will have to check it out again.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Smoother said:

personally do not, because I ride for pleasure not to commute, so I don't have to risk my life unnecessarily.  @stephen up in Bradford wheels on the street all the time, but the streets of his estate seem very quiet when he videos, and he rides quick wheels, quickly.

I'll ride on roads when roads are wider otherwise I'll nip on the path at a slower pace ,i actually like riding on the roads now but you have to concentrate for the pot holes/bumps, I've never had any trouble from police and I've passed many, i usually get possitive comments , i wish i lived near the coast where it's all flat and open , the seaside is 70 miles if i want to go ,i wonder what distance  people do travel just to ride the wheels

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Planemo said:

I dont have a major issue with riding the roads tbh, I just dont think I would enjoy it given they are usually busy round here, narrow too and even if I did, I would want to be pretty proficient before doing do. Lake Meadows is an option, but the pathway is really narrow in most places. Could probably find a grassed area away from people but couldnt be sure about how flat/well kept it was. You are right about the tennis court but would be a gamble on whether its was empty or not. There is actually a small skatepark there too, but usually full of hoodies. Your comment re the Stort sounds good, I wouldnt be averse to the drive but it also reminded me of an old train route I have done on the bikes which goes from Braintree I think. Thats not a major drive for me but as you say, trying to find somewhere thats convienient for both of us is tricky. I appreciate your help though. Like you say, I will just need to work with what I have. Re the Stort, is that a place you could get to or were you suggesting it for just myself? I wasn't sure from the way you wrote it.

Also just sprung to mind is Gloucester Park in Basildon. Lots of open spaces there to practice in although much of it grassed. Think its kept fairly well though, I taught both my kids how to ride a bike there. Will have to check it out again.

(some following destinations and terms annotated for foreign readers, not you Planemo)

Narrow paths, no problem once you are proficient.  You can always hop onto the grass for a few feet to get around the walking dead.

Converted train routes can be good or terrible or both.  There's one that runs from Hailsham to Eastbourne,"The Cuckoo Trail". Parts of it are all washboard due to thousands of tree routes under the black top, other sections are smooth and fast.  Only way to know is to suck it and see.

I was researching for you really. But a good destination for when I breeze through would be nice.  

The Stort suggestion was for both of us.  I have walked it a bit when my wheel was down for electrical repairs.  It has to be dry weather though, lots of sloppy mud puddles if not.  Having spent more time cleaning mud out of my wheel than riding, one day, I tend to avoid muddy tracks now.

Don't forget the pavement (side walk).  It's always an option in town, as long as they are not rammed with the walking dead.

Further west, and definitely a day trip, is the river Lee which is navigable and so therefor has tow paths.  You can follow it past the Olympic stadium right into the Canary wharf zone(London's financial district) with all the multi million pound house boats and trendy water side bars, cafes, and restaurants. We would need to bring chargers for that ride (I only have 840Wh)

No one's on public tennis courts this time of year.  This might be the best place for you to learn.

13 minutes ago, stephen said:

the seaside is 70 miles if i want to go ,i wonder what distance  people do travel just to ride the wheels

That's about as far is it's physically possible to be from the ocean in the UK.  I think 75 miles is the furthest.  Bummer.  I LOVE riding coasts. My coasts so far include 4 months all up and down the east coast of Spain from Barcelona to Cartagena, and most of Englands south coast from Poole to Hastings.  And a flying visit to Whitstable. That was a dedicated Wheeling drive of 109 miles round trip. So much for saving the planet!

When the weather gets nice, get yourself and the family down to the coast (pick a town with a long promenade).  You only think you like wheeling now.;)

• 2 years later...

You need to get in touch with a customs consultanting company, as it really depends on a lot of different factors. If you managed to solve the issue in the meantime, I'd appreciate to know how much did it cost and how long did you have to wait.

Edited by stephen
Removed possible spam ink