UK import charges?

Planemo

I know my wheel will take a couple of months to arrive, but I am wondering how much I am likely to be hit for import charges etc as I am assuming it is being shipped from outside Europe (purchased on Gearbest). When ordering from the Far East l know some people have got lucky with certain stuff as its been small and/or undervalued but has anyone imported a wheel into the UK before that can advise? Thanks.

Go look at your sales page again, or your receipt.  Most "from China" purchases of wheels have import cost included.  Hopefully you got one of these prices, otherwise hold on to your hat.  I bought 2 tyres from china and the inport fees were something like 3 times the cost of the tyres, because the tax is based on the value of the product PLUS the shipping.  Be thankful you didn't get express shipping.

Edited by Smoother

Great! I only followed the link given to me on where to buy the V5F. No idea whether the listing said anything about duties being covered already.

The gov site says you need to call them to get the rates.

Will try and get back into the listing or my order and see if it says anything. Speedy sells them for £600, if my all up cost is anywhere near that then it was a completely pointless exercise in waiting 2 months for it :(

I purchased a V10 from Gearbest recently, there is no customs charge to pay. 

UK Customs are probably too busy to check every parcel, so they may let some slip through ... its a lottery, but in my experience if they do charge import tax, then you will need to pay the fees before you get your parcel. It could be that because EUCs don't fit into any existing classification for tax, then they simply don't bother to charge import tax. You will soon find out and can let us know how you got on. As to Gearbest, they have warehouses around the world, so if they dispatched from an EU warehouse (you can select a warehouse in the item screen before adding to cart) then any VAT will already be included in the price.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/classifying-vehicles

Hi Nic

I agree it does indeed just seem to be a lottery having read a bit more. The only constant is that those who use faster shipping (DHL/UPS etc) are more likely to get collared. Given that I think mine is swimming itself over I am probably in the best position but its just going to come down to luck I think.

When I ordered, I didnt know about the codes and assumed everything would come from China. There were only 2 warehouses available - 'CN-099' and 'Fast-30'. I have just found out that whilst CN is indeed China, Fast 30 is France! Gaaa! That said, if I had selected France I may have paid more at source to include duties, or maybe there would be more chance of getting collared as the shipping would be quicker. I dont know, its all a bit confusing tbh.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Planemo said:

Hi Nic

I agree it does indeed just seem to be a lottery having read a bit more. The only constant is that those who use faster shipping (DHL/UPS etc) are more likely to get collared. Given that I think mine is swimming itself over I am probably in the best position but its just going to come down to luck I think.

When I ordered, I didnt know about the codes and assumed everything would come from China. There were only 2 warehouses available - 'CN-099' and 'Fast-30'. I have just found out that whilst CN is indeed China, Fast 30 is France! Gaaa! That said, if I had selected France I may have paid more at source to include duties, or maybe there would be more chance of getting collared as the shipping would be quicker. I dont know, its all a bit confusing tbh.

If you had selected Fast 30, then you would have paid a much higher price ... for Ninebot Z10 that I previously looked at I think China Warehouse was around £1200 and EU warehouse was around £1850. Hopefully you will get lucky, but I think with larger and heavier items it is more likely that your parcel will be inspected and you will be have to pay Tax. You are correct about fast shipping being more likely to be inspected and taxed. Let us know how it goes.

Edited by Nic
  • Like 1

Thats what I would have thought bud, pay a higher price for a euro warehouse (with an assumption that taxes will already have been paid) but I just did another test purchase, selecting Fast 30 and it increased the price by just 4 quid. And that was with a cheaper shipping cost and 3 to 7 day delivery. I dont know whether to feel totally gutted or just miffed to be honest.

4 hours ago, Planemo said:

Thats what I would have thought bud, pay a higher price for a euro warehouse (with an assumption that taxes will already have been paid) but I just did another test purchase, selecting Fast 30 and it increased the price by just 4 quid. And that was with a cheaper shipping cost and 3 to 7 day delivery. I dont know whether to feel totally gutted or just miffed to be honest.

Don't worry about it ... you are in uncharted territory ... if you pay no tax, then I'll probably try something similar in future.

I just received here in the UK my msx bought on aliexpress; there was no tax to pay at customs, I paid only what was displayed on aliexpress web site, no additional tax ( VAT, import tax, whatever ). It took a good few weeks for the wheel to arrive from China, and then it was delivered to me by UPS ( not the express one ). No idea why ( luck, tax already factored in the price, regulation ... who knows ? ).

Edited by gena
add clarity
  • Like 1

Thanks for the update Gena, thats great news. If possible, could you update again should you get a tax demand from HMRC through the post in the next few weeks. I think mine took about 10 days when I ordered a $195 item from the States (which was £27.95) some years ago.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Planemo said:

Thanks for the update Gena, thats great news. If possible, could you update again should you get a tax demand from HMRC through the post in the next few weeks. I think mine took about 10 days when I ordered a $195 item from the States (which was £27.95) some years ago.

That's a good point.  When I had two tyres express shipped from China, the arrived with no addition costs, then a few days later a got a letter or email or something FROM THE SHIPPER saying they had paid £xx.xx import fees on my behalf, and I had a certain amount of time to pay them back.  I believe there were official looking forms to corroborate the amount.  But I think AliExpress prices have the import fees factored in, it's not their first rodeo after all.  My tyres were sent by an individual, no Ali or Gear Best, etc.

Yes, the invoice will usually come from the shipper like you say. I know that both UPS and DHL work this way. They pay the fees on your behalf at point of entry into the UK, get the item delivered then send their invoice later. I think you can sometimes pay it at the doorstep but for sure its usually invoiced in the post. I have had items shipped from China before where the seller has undervalued the item (without my knowledge) and recd a correspondingly lesser invoice throught the post as a result. On that occasion it was via DHL I think.

Whatever happens I am just hoping that if I do get hit with fees, it still works out less than buying from the UK, given the 2 month delay from China and obvious reduction in support should there be problems. A total DOA would be a massive issue as sending it back just wouldn't be viable. Given the wheel is £600 in the UK and I have paid £352, I think that even with full fees applied it will still be cheaper, but by how much I do not yet know, and until I do I can't say whether its worth the risk/hassle/delay.

Edit: neither Ali nor Gearbest have import fees applied to their prices. They specifically state this on their websites. It would be extremely hard to do anyway given the differences between all the countries.

Edited by Planemo
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, V5F arrived on the 14th! That's a total of 45 days since order which is much less than I thought given the 50~60 days quoted (due to Chinese New Year) so quite chuffed. Not even had a good look at it yet, but boy it's heavier than I thought it would feel. Lord knows how heavy the MSX's etc must feel!

Even came with the handle and a 3 pin UK plug adaptor. Let the falling off begin :o

Edit: meant to say no additional charges at point of delivery. We will see what happens over the next couple of weeks...

Edited by Planemo

It was! Especially as JoJo announced that they could be supplied from a European warehouse about a week after I ordered mine! I tend not to dwell on things like this though, nothing I could do except sit it out. I'm still very happy given the price compared to UK dealers. Lets just hope I don't have any problems with it...

1 hour ago, Planemo said:

Let the falling off begin :o

:roflmao:Where in Essex are you (something tells me you have mentioned this before)  I occasionally shoot by there on the M25 on my way south. A "group" ride might justify a short detour 

Billericay bud. Not far from the M25 - about 8 miles East on the A127 then north a bit. I'd be interested in hooking up if you are around some time. Might as well have another person laughing their t*ts off at me whilst I am breakdancing vertically.

• Like 2

@Planemo  That's do-able.  I've been looking at Bilericay.  Where are you planning on riding, exactly?  I see a park in the middle of town, but there are no rivers, or canals anywhere near you.  Even the coast is quite a drive. Even the reservoir of to the north east looks fenced off. Have you started falling on your ass learning yet?

Edited by Smoother

It's been a bit of an issue I have been thinking about for the last month tbh! My location does not lend itself to many areas in which to either learn or ride. Seems a bit daft to buy an EUC but you know what its like when a man has a desire for a new toy right?! I had the same problem when I got into inline skates with my kids, although to train we found an empty yard area in an industrial estate in Basildon which worked well, and we are fairly confident on them now although we also got the use of a skate rink in Maldon which obviously doesnt help me with regards to an EUC. We have also skated on the promenade in Southend which may well cater for an EUC but its a bit of a drive. Either way, 'pleasure rides' from my home with an EUC will always be a problem but it hasnt put me off at least trying to learn, and I can try to get to grips with stepping on/off in my garden which is 80' albeit with a narrow concrete path down the side. I haven't even managed to open the box since I first did on getting the delivery at work as I have been so busy. Madness I know, having a shiny new toy to play with but there just hasn't been the opportunity to sit down with it, get the app sorted etc. I am hoping to do so in the next week or so. The Hanningfield reservoir is indeed fenced off but much of the perimeter has a pathway which is largely free from pedestrians but does have a fairly fast road running next to it on the straight sections. I dont know of any play areas which have the rubberized surface unfortunately so I think my only option is to wrap the wheel up well and find an empty concreted area to play on in order to learn. Finding places to actually ride will have to follow I think. One step (or revolution) at a time is all I can do at the mo.

Well there's always the roads. Plenty of people ride on the road.  I personally do not, because I ride for pleasure not to commute, so I don't have to risk my life unnecessarily.  @stephen up in Bradford wheels on the street all the time, but the streets of his estate seem very quiet when he videos, and he rides quick wheels, quickly.

What about the park I mentioned, Lake Meadows? I see paths, open spaces, tennis courts, etc.  These are all good training and riding areas.  Of course once you've been around that park 60 times you'll out grow it. But we all have to work with what we've got. Personally, if I want to ride anywhere interesting I have to drive at least 10 miles. I have a farm track over a mile long right outside my front door buy it leads nowhere and views nothing but boring fields.  I've ridden it twice...done!   This Monday I'm taking my wheel  into Cambridge (19 miles) to meet up with @meepmeepmayer, who's in town visiting a friend (no wheel unfortunately). Cambridge is one of two locations I drive to, to wheel.  All the others offer me 15 minutes of wheeling tops before I get bored.  That's why I have recently changed my wheeling philosophy to make it less about the wheeling and more about taking in the scenery and goings on.  A good seafront is fantastic.  Eastbourne, Brighton, Hastings, Bournemouth, etc all great. Southend sounds ideal, just not convenient for either of us.

There's the river Stort  from Bishops Stortford to Harlow, I Believe.  It has canal boats and a tow path.  That's something like 18 miles and it's about 25 miles from you.

• Upvote 2