Battery maintenance when not used.

Martin.K

Whats the recommendation for maintaining good batteries when not using the wheel for 3-5 winter months ?

I have e+ and ks18l, the ks18l came 50% charged from factory.

For my electric bike the manual says to fully charge it every 3 months when not used. Does the same apply here ?

2 hours ago, Martin.K said:

Whats the recommendation for maintaining good batteries when not using the wheel for 3-5 winter months ?

Charge/discharge the battery to something between 40 % and 60 %.

2 hours ago, Martin.K said:

For my electric bike the manual says to fully charge it every 3 months when not used. Does the same apply here ?

This advice is for lead acid battery only. Don't try this with lithium ion batteries, as in conjuction with elevated storage temperature it may degrade battery life.

On 1/27/2019 at 12:25 PM, Martin.K said:

It's probably also not good advice to treat your electric bike batteries (as they are quite likely also lithium-ion batteries). The manual probably gives this advice to prevent undercharge due to self-discharge, because this may not only degrade but fully kill the battery. As long as you know your discharge rate and hence never let the battery go below 15%-or-so, self-discharge is not an issue. But don't miss out the time to recharge even once.

Archived