Do your ks18L/XL pedals feel this loose?

that0n3guy

RATTLE:

Take a pedal off, then put the rod in the hole in it, away from the pedal hanger.  Does the rod wobble in the hole? Yes? then they drilled the hole too big.  Cut a beer/soda can open with scissors (caution, edges will be sharp) and cut off a strip that would form a complete circle around the rod, no longer than the hole in the pedal.  If this is now too thick, cut mm strips off it until it will just fit.  Take the rod out but leave the can strip in place, then carefully re-install the pedal and rod.  You may have to try a few times before it all goes together.

WASHERS:

Put the pedal back in place on the hanger and look straight down.  Is there room for washers in the gaps?  If so, add some or (or one if the room is small).  I don't think this will fix your rattle.

I have 2 King Songs and neither of them has or needs washers.

• Like 3

Right, well, that seems like a lot, but you will struggle to get anything down the side of it AND reassemble the whole system.  Have you tried a thin strip of soda can?  Looks like you will only need a very thin strip.

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

@Rama Douglas Give it a go.  If your rattle is less, you will need something very thin, then you will have to loop one end of it downwards around the pedal so the bar doesn't push it out during re-assembly.  If a really narrow strip of beer can is too much, try one or two strands (depending on thickness) of copper wire, gleaned from an unwanted electric cord.

• Like 3

• 11 months later...
On 1/26/2019 at 8:08 PM, that0n3guy said:

I just put the new pedals on my 18L and figured I would ask if your pedals are this loose.   

My originals were loose too, but for some reason it bugs me more w/ the larger ones.

Mine does this too, with the newer batch of big pedals and a newish 18L. Its really starting to bug me. I am going to see if i can tighten the  poor tolerances up. Does anybody know if this excess pedal play on all axis', contribute to instability? Usually they dont rattle, as Im applying pressure to both in a manner that takes up the slack. Sometimes when riding REALLY flat with little need for user input, or when ridding hard up on my toes, i can feel and hear the pedals move. I know an older thread, but still relevant, as it seems these parts are still being offered.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

2 hours ago, null said:

Mine too, very annoying, already that the handle rattles..

Apparently one can add aluminium strips (from a can?) to tighten the fit between the axle and pedals..

Smoother was right. I specd the parts and it seems the rods are .0106" smaller than the pedal holes. ALL my rods seemed damn near identical, so I bet the hangers are to blame. I found an aluminum beer bottle in the street, wrestled some strips and now tight as can be. Who knows how long itll work, but once goes loose again, Ill just shop for some hangers. Thanks to smoother and to Null.

Just an update.. I couldnt help myself and drove the 45mins to a lit up parking lot, to ride some. Oddly its 50 degrees in January here in the mountains. The tighter pedals are marvelous! I dont know if its all in my head, but I felt a little more at ease and was really getting around without as much wobble during speed turns and straights. Took a curb a few times, satifying LACK of annoying rattle on landing. Yup, a couple strips from an aluminum can found in the ditch, and much better. Seems the more I ride, the further I go and the more I enjoy it. WOnderfull pattern that is already getting me out more and getting these legs going.

• Like 1

Was REALLY easy. Only needed to remove one pin bolt each side, didnt even take off my cover. I put a thin washer under each side of the hold tab too, as I wanted stiff to open/close pedals. Aluminum beer can was pretty thick. I cut a strip that was narrow enough to fit in the hole uncurved. Cut it a hair longer than the mount is wide, and bend a bit over the edge. The little lip of alum will fit between pedal and bracket on the side you drive the pin into first and keep it from following the pin past the braket, into the pedal itself.  Plenty of room between, front to back for it. I still didnt put a washer in the gap front to back and didnt seem to matter. It took a couple tries and a hammer, but the pins drove in and BAM, mucho bettah. Id bet a soda can is thinner, hence Smoother's advice on wrapping it first. The alum I used wouldnt wrap so I used the domed pin and brute force.. I wouldnt worry much, as even if its a fail, you wont hurt anything. Just dont be stupid with the hammer is all.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1