mTen3 Not Waterproof - But No Long Term Damage

GQS

So it has been raining dogs and cars here in San Francisco last week.  They called it an "atmospheric river".  My mTen3 has been ridden in light rain many times before without issues but this time I rolled through a 2-3inch deep flooded drain puddle and all was fine until I tried to use it again in the afternoon.  In the afternoon after turning it back on, it was jerking when I was trying to ride it.  It behaved like it had a loose axle nut.  I opened it up and apparently the wire bundle got wet and affected the halls effect wire transmission of the signal.  The halls wire is the only thing that I can think of that can cause symptoms like this.  I left the shell open and dried it for 2 days next to the heater and there is no damage.  It works great again.  I am off and riding once again.  I have more than one mTen3 (originally for flat tire puncture swap outs) so a few days downtime on any one unit is no big deal. 

The circuit board and upper compartments were totally dry.  Bravo on a good design Gotway.  There did not appear to be water intrusion into the hub motor either.  The axle nuts were tight.  The wire bundle from the motor was visibly wet.  Drying it with a towel did not immediately fix the issue.  It required air drying for a few days.  I will try to insulate the wire bundle better next time with longer, thicker shrink wrap. 

I will be careful about riding through even small puddles going forward. Just wanted to share.  But no damage, riding great today.  Just a temporary quirk if you get it too wet.  Don't freak out, just dry it out for several days.  Wanted to share. 

Picture for attention.

20190122_102500.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

As I recall from working on mine, there are gaskets where the wires from the motor exit the wheel well into the battery/control-board area. So I assume the section that got wet is within the wheel well?

What's funny is the Gotway videos that they posted with the Mten3 riding very deep puddles, like what you're describing. False advertising? :D

I'm interested in getting an mten 3 but I'm afraid of it not having much waterproofing and living in a wet Chicago.  Saw a post on another forum where someone's shorted out while riding because the board got wet.  They had some posts about waterproofing it with silicone and some other things but I couldn't really read much of it well since it was translated from google. 

Would be interested if someone made a mten3 waterpoofing video

On 1/24/2019 at 11:10 PM, MrRobot said:

I'm interested in getting an mten 3 but I'm afraid of it not having much waterproofing and living in a wet Chicago.  Saw a post on another forum where someone's shorted out while riding because the board got wet.  They had some posts about waterproofing it with silicone and some other things but I couldn't really read much of it well since it was translated from google.

The mten3 is mostly waterproof against rain (water from above).  Riding in wet roads is fine but going through deep puddles is what can cause problems.  Just avoid going through puddles if you can.  Small puddles are fine, but puddles that go up past the tires and rims touching the motor pan is what you want to watch out for.  Waterproofing would likely involve silicone on the motor pans and where the wire enters the circuit board compartment.  You can just add extra soft silicone filler where the wire goes in.  I mean I rode it through heavy rain and it was fine until I rode it through a fairly deep puddle.  Even then it fully recovered after drying for a few days, no permanent damage. 

I suspect the mten3 is in fact "waterproof" against permanent damage via shorting, what I experienced was likely some kind of impedance short for the halls sensor.  

• 3 years later...
On 1/25/2019 at 12:10 AM, MrRobot said:

On 1/25/2019 at 12:10 AM, MrRobot said:

Hey I rode it in what could be described light rain and it straight up just cut out on me when I was going 20+ so I would definitely try and water proof it as much as you can. I noticed there was a more substantial delay in when it turned on before I rode so that might be something to look for. After a few days of drying out it seems to be working just fine but I would test the vvb motor to make sure (does it feel like it’s accelerating at the same rate or is it sounding like it’s over powering).  When it over powers think about hoe much you had to lean In the first place vs now. 

• Like 1