New owner/rider here

Ande

Hi all. 

Only discovered euc’s by chance. Someone posted a video on another forum I frequent (velomobiles) which showed a guy whizzing along the seafront. I was absolutely spellbound!  Spent the next few days scouring Youtube for more.  Then decided that I had to give it a whirl.  So I rang Ian, at Speedyfeet, with the intention of buying a Ninebot One E.  However, once Ian realised that I was less than slim, he talked me out of it, and suggested a few others, that would be more suitable. Of the options he gave me, I settled on the KS18L, and promptly ordered one.  My god, it’s a beast of a thing.  Couldn’t believe what a lump it felt when I received it, lol.

Alas, I then had a few days of being really ill, and didn’t get the opportunity  to use it.  And now I’m back at work, in a one-to-one, 24/7, care position.  I shan’t get a chance to try and learn to ride until Tuesday afternoon.  I’ve managed a few, sneaky, indoor sessions, and have been practising getting on and off, with the odd few feet here and there.  Cannot wait to get started :)

• Upvote 1

Congrats and welcome. It is a nice machine. Yes, it is beefy.

I would say hold off until you can get outside. I also tried to get on it indoors and it makes things much more difficult. These things are not really meant for indoor riding. I "got up to speed" much more quickly outside. Also, if you are not used to these, taking breaks is a good way to get your muscle memory working. Don't get frustrated with 2 hr sessions. 30 min sessions will get you there fast. Safety gear is a must...really...no joke.

Also, if you are used to other smaller wheels, the 18L is a bit of work to ride compared to them. It's kinda like the difference between a large truck and a compact car (for me). My 16S is very light and nimble compared to my 18L, but certainly cannot keep up.

Have fun, and be safe!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Circuitmage said:

Congrats and welcome. It is a nice machine. Yes, it is beefy.

I would say hold off until you can get outside. I also tried to get on it indoors and it makes things much more difficult. These things are not really meant for indoor riding. I "got up to speed" much more quickly outside. Also, if you are not used to these, taking breaks is a good way to get your muscle memory working. Don't get frustrated with 2 hr sessions. 30 min sessions will get you there fast. Safety gear is a must...really...no joke.

Also, if you are used to other smaller wheels, the 18L is a bit of work to ride compared to them. It's kinda like the difference between a large truck and a compact car (for me). My 16S is very light and nimble compared to my 18L, but certainly cannot keep up.

Have fun, and be safe!

@Ande welcome to the forum  anything you need to know just ask here we not a bad bunch of people:dribble: enjoy your wheel and watch plenty of vids which you probably have already

A few tips:

1. Get some wristguards. IMO these are the single most important item you'll need when learning. I'd be amazed if you didn't fall off and cut your hands / wrists at some point, so make sure they are protected. I just ordered some Bullet branded protection from Amazon and wear the wrist guards (but not the knee / elbow guards) every day on my work commute - even now that I have done over 1000 miles on my Inmotion V8.

2. Wear some boots, rather than shoes, while learning to protect your ankles. They will get badly bruised otherwise! Once you have mastered it, you can just wear shoes, but while learning you can easily bruise your ankles and legs.

3. Use the time to find a suitable location - ideally with a railing, such as a bridge. Ensure you have a smooth tarmac surface - don't try on grass etc.

4. Don't be too precious about the pedals or the body - you will get a bucket load of scratches when you are learning, If you want to minimise this, tape stuff up.

5. It will take quite a while to learn unless you have previous experience, e.g. riding a manual unicycle. Don't worry if you haven't mastered it after 3-4 hours - it'll come.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks all. I’ll look into wrist guards.  I have elbow, and knee pads, and also a cycle helmet.  I’ve got some motorcycle boots set aside for the venture, so am raring to go.  The biggest hurdle I need to overcome is to be able to not worry about the abuse the wheel is bound to suffer.  I’m one of those people who really looks after their things, to the point of being almost anal about it.  I might try and give it a foam wrap before venturing out.  Shame that Kingsong don’t sell a protective shell for it.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Ande said:

Thanks all. I’ll look into wrist guards.  I have elbow, and knee pads, and also a cycle helmet.  I’ve got some motorcycle boots set aside for the venture, so am raring to go.  The biggest hurdle I need to overcome is to be able to not worry about the abuse the wheel is bound to suffer.  I’m one of those people who really looks after their things, to the point of being almost anal about it.  I might try and give it a foam wrap before venturing out.  Shame that Kingsong don’t sell a protective shell for it.

I got these, but they seem out of stuck. but I can highly recommend these:

https://www.ldmountaincentre.com/snowboard-c23/equipment-c89/body-armour-protection-c117/demon-flexmeter-double-sided-wrist-guard-p21036

You will see others talking about these in safety gear thread. Me including. 

9 hours ago, Ande said:

I might try and give it a foam wrap before venturing out.  Shame that Kingsong don’t sell a protective shell for it.

Look at the start of my video ,i used carpet underlay wrapped around my kingsong ks16s only needed it for one day , it does free your mind a little when you just want to drop it and not thinking you've got to catch it so it won't scratch it ,,,just let it fall 😊

9 hours ago, Ande said:

https://www.roll.nz/21-euc-bodyguard

@The Fat Unicyclist is the guy behind this as I understand it. I wish he had an EU seller too though. 

3 hours ago, stephen said:

Look at the start of my video ,i used carpet underlay wrapped around my kingsong ks16s only needed it for one day , it does free your mind a little when you just want to drop it and not thinking you've got to catch it so it won't scratch it ,,,just let it fall 😊

Thanks for the heads-up.  I’ve managed to wrap mine in one of those foam camping mat things.  Cut it to size, and it looks quite dapper, lol. Pretty sure it will absorb most of what I’m about to inflict upon it.  Just wondering whether I should hold fire until I’ve got some wrist protectors. If I order some from Amazon they should be here tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

@Ande yor topic brings back memories 😁.

You can laugh about my early attempts, and yes it is hard in the begining. If I can pass on 2 suggestions, don't use the strap it only slow the progress imho. And the other don't train in too long sessions as you are like to get tired and more frustrated. Film your sessions, as you can review your progress. It makes it a faster possitive to the end goal.

Thanks Unventor. I’ve not used the strap, although I had intended to until I realised what’s pain it was. Filming myself might prove tricky as I’m away from friends and family until next week.  And with the scum around here, an unattended phone would last seconds, lol. 

• Like 1