You guys are costing me a lot of money

tessa25

This is not true. EUCs are the one of the few hobbies that I'm aware of that has you spend less money than you normally would.

The reason this is so is because EUCs are an alternative to the automobile which for most people costs about $9000 per year, or about 30 to 50 cents per mile. Even if you own a car, by using an EUC/bicycle you can resell your car for a bit more due to the less miles, although in practice you'd still use the car for long distance trips.

The mathematics of bike/EUC usage are dramatic; if you didn't have an automobile then you could buy a top of the line EUC every two months. Tax, insurance, and registration are on ongoing costs that you don't need to do with an EUC. However, should you still choose to own a car then the spending is a lot more but it still means you spend about $1000 to $3000 less per year. In my experience not having to drive around looking for parking is a big benefit to EUCs.

Of course, if you buy a  good $700 cyclocross bicycle then you'd spend the least amount of money. You can have a lot of fun with nearly $10,000 per year in your pocket.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2019 at 10:53 AM, LanghamP said:

This is not true. EUCs are the one of the few hobbies that I'm aware of that has you spend less money than you normally would.

The reason this is so is because EUCs are an alternative to the automobile which for most people costs about $9000 per year, or about 30 to 50 cents per mile. Even if you own a car, by using an EUC/bicycle you can resell your car for a bit more due to the less miles, although in practice you'd still use the car for long distance trips.

The mathematics of bike/EUC usage are dramatic; if you didn't have an automobile then you could buy a top of the line EUC every two months. Tax, insurance, and registration are on ongoing costs that you don't need to do with an EUC. However, should you still choose to own a car then the spending is a lot more but it still means you spend about $1000 to $3000 less per year. In my experience not having to drive around looking for parking is a big benefit to EUCs.

Of course, if you buy a  good $700 cyclocross bicycle then you'd spend the least amount of money. You can have a lot of fun with nearly $10,000 per year in your pocket.

This is how I figure my usage. 

Sure, my V8 cost $899- but by getting it I avoided buying a second car, saving me around $400-$500/mo by my figures.

Archived