New 16″ unicycle from King Song

Seba

3 minutes ago, Seba said:

Not at all! There will be even programmable damping... by varying pressure  in 3" tire :thumbup:

Uhh you know just what little EUC buttom of hope to push...and deflate the balloon of YEsssss. 😔

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Unventor said:

Uhh you know just what little EUC buttom of hope to push...and deflate the balloon of YEsssss. 😔

But hey, dont worry :efef62fc70: Don't forger that factory 16x3" tire have quite stiff sidewalls. This is why you can really benefit from relatively low pressures without risking snakebite for example.

@Jason McNeil so it fair to assume that more info will emerge within 1 month time?

I decided to sell off Inmotion V8, and get another secondary wheel to be a training wheel and my short parking lot distance in my car trunk on stand by. Might be mid range but speed above 30kmh is not really important. A mush is a great trolley (optional at least, it not build in. Scorpion design is ok if done right, aka strong and sturdy enough). Would be great with good traffic lights front and rear.

As options right now I have looked at KS14D, KS14S, KS16S and even a Z10.

Excited for this.  If it comes out in may/June and looks good I might have my new EUC for tooling around campus come next fall

I hope they manage to still keep it about as compact or maybe even more compact than the 16s in terms of physical shell size, I feel like the z10 shell size is a bit to big to be convenient for getting around campus and wouldn't be able to replace my mcm4.

Also hopefully there will be a 14x announcement hot off the heels of a 16x announcement.  Even if marty tells me not to get my hopes up I can still dream.

21 hours ago, Unventor said:

@Jason McNeil so it fair to assume that more info will emerge within 1 month time?

Rumour mill has a production date of late March, another 1-2 months for production & shipping out to Europe & North America.

46 minutes ago, Heyzeus said:

Also hopefully there will be a 14x announcement hot off the heels of a 16x announcement.  Even if marty tells me not to get my hopes up I can still dream.

The demand for 14" Wheels, specifically the more expensive MCM5 class is not nearly so strong as the 16-18" sizes. Personally I'd like to see KS develop the ultra-compact rival to the MTen3 before remodeling the 14".  

46 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

The demand for 14" Wheels, specifically the more expensive MCM5 class is not nearly so strong as the 16-18" sizes. Personally I'd like to see KS develop the ultra-compact rival to the MTen3 before remodeling the 14".  

That would also be very tempting if it was powerful enough to handle hills and had enough battery to be safe on hills.

I wish I could find an additional 340wh battery for my mcm4 to upgrade it but so far that has been difficult.

Then I could get the new 16x, have my fun 14" for times I want to use it or train others and have it be powerful enough to have friends keep up with me if I let them use it while riding along with me, and once my funds are topped up again I could have a compact car wheel/additional campus wheel.

1 hour ago, Jason McNeil said:

Rumour mill has a production date of late March, another 1-2 months for production & shipping out to Europe & North America.

If you are able to get KS to create a competitor to the Mten3, be sure they don't create something more like the Luffy (last mile commuting). It's not just the form factor that makes the Mten3 special, it's the amazing amount of power/torque that's within the wheel.

I find myself grabbing the mcm5 a lot. Went on a 12mile errand run in the wind yesterday and it was fine. Got home with 28% battery at rest.  The hills amd wind combined with just wanting to get the errands done (average speed was 16.7 mph, topped out at 26.1, wheel log data so theres a margin in there haha) really drank the battery. 

I still think it's a very good option for the city and if more people could ride one they would see how well it behaves. It doesnt feel like a 14in wheel but still turns around in it's own shadow. 

Really looking forward to king songs new 16s replacement. I love my 16s, coming up on 1000 miles too. I may need to sell it for the new one though. I just wish it could go a little faster, 25mph would be great. If the new one can go 30 I'm in. I would almost never hit the beeps as my comfy cruise on a smooth bike lane is around 22 to 25 mph. 

I'm still relatively new too all this, maybe about 200 miles total of experience but feel like a top speed of 30 ish would be pretty perfect for most 14/16 inch wheels as long as it still had a good safety margin for unexpected bumps and stuff.

I tend to avoid riding on the road whenever possible unless it's a very quiet and non busy road but otherwise use sidewalks if they are available and in decent shape.  

I may never need to go that fast and certainly wouldn't on a sidewalk but by having the power to go that fast it probably means I can also accelerate faster to get the F out of the way of cars behind me if i'm on a lane with no bike lane, or I can keep up with the flow of traffic decently on most roads and certainly all residential roads.  Having a high speed for a burst can be beneficial in some situations I feel.

Plus I'd feel much safer riding 18mph long term on a wheel with a top speed of 30-35 mph than I would on a wheel with a top speed of 22 mph

@Flying W @Heyzeus

You SoCal riders crack me up :lol:

Most what you say gets thrown out the window if you ride on streets that could double as war scenery, aka NYC pavement.

Case in point: My 14" 25mph MCM5 is a fantastic performer, almost too fantastic.

When going near the max 25mph and hitting a slight and unexpected bump this past fall, I was launched into the air, and got a significant amount of hangtime. This would've been fine, if my trajectory wasn't going into a parked school bus. Unfortunately, I was able to confirm that it is indeed impossible to brake in the air. (fortunately, my active hands guarded me well, as I made out with just minor bleeding from a cut to the brow)

I can't even imagine what would've happened if I was doing 30mph.

This incident taught me that wheels that go 25mph+ really need to weigh more than 40 lbs, especially on swiss cheese East Coast city streets (as a quicker landing would've prevented the above).

These posts made me realize again why we on the East Coast with 4 seasons tend to reach for bigger wheels, minimum 2.5 width.

Not sure if it's better to ride on perfect pavement 365 in ignorant bliss (must be nice!), or be forced to learn how to navigate streets that are annually ravaged by winter plows and salt trucks. 🤔

17 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

@Flying W @Heyzeus

You SoCal riders crack me up :lol:

Most what you say gets thrown out the window if you ride on streets that could double as war scenery, aka NYC pavement.

Case in point: My 14" 25mph MCM5 is a fantastic performer, almost too fantastic.

When going near the max 25mph and hitting a slight and unexpected bump this past fall, I was launched into the air, and got a significant amount of hangtime. This would've been fine, if my trajectory wasn't going into a parked school bus. Unfortunately, I was able to confirm that it is indeed impossible to brake in the air. (fortunately, my active hands guarded me well, as I made out with just minor bleeding from a cut to the brow)

I can't even imagine what would've happened if I was doing 30mph.

This incident taught me that wheels that go 25mph+ really need to weigh more than 40 lbs, especially on swiss cheese East Coast city streets (as a quicker landing would've prevented the above).

These posts made me realize again why we on the East Coast with 4 seasons tend to reach for bigger wheels, minimum 2.5 width.

Not sure if it's better to ride on perfect pavement 365 in ignorant bliss (must be nice!), or be forced to learn how to navigate streets that are annually ravaged by winter plows and salt trucks. 🤔

On group rides it's necessary to have a rider take the point position for vigilant pothole patrol. :):)

1 hour ago, Lutalo said:

On group rides it's necessary to have a rider take the point position for vigilant pothole patrol. :):)

For sure. We use a downward fist pump as a hand signal to point at vicious potholes.

We need to start a pothole thread! With coordinates LOL.

@houseofjob I am +1 on you post of euc speed in traffic.

The thing is it might be nice to keep up with cars but when something totally unexpected happens then you stopping options is not as good as modern car with abs breaks and driver assistance. 1 wherl might not have ideal traction but a car stops on several. An EUC is toast as soon traction and trajectory is off. And this happes really fast. 

2 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Not sure if it's better to ride on perfect pavement 365 in ignorant bliss (must be nice!),

Hey, I'll have you know these streets in Irvine are super dangerous, you never know when a stray leaf may sneak up on you and spook you off your wheel.

The other night after the rains I used my scooter to get to class since the ground was so wet and I may have ran over a few snails, or atleast when cleaning it off after getting back I found one on the side of the wheel.  Hate to think how bad the faceplant would have been had I hit a snail on my unicycle.

Off campus I tend to average around 15 or so mph on straightaways.

On campus I definitely have to slow down a bit for pedestrians and navigating tree root lifted pavement in areas, maybe 8-12 mph, like to keep it no faster than bikes to not draw campus police attention.

6 hours ago, who_the said:

For sure. We use a downward fist pump as a hand signal to point at vicious potholes.

We need to start a pothole thread! With coordinates LOL.

LOL! that's what I do. More like a vicious point.

20 minutes ago, Flying W said:

We are spoiled out here for sure! 

20190107_133916.jpg

Bike lanes in Mölndal in Sweden...speaking of spoiled. 

mWyqBmm.jpg

You see it is summer time here due to the clouds. So no overheating EUC here.

Cars are diverted to a different way. 😉 

Beat that south cal. 😇

11 hours ago, Unventor said:

@houseofjob I am +1 on you post of euc speed in traffic.

The thing is it might be nice to keep up with cars but when something totally unexpected happens then you stopping options is not as good as modern car with abs breaks and driver assistance. 1 wherl might not have ideal traction but a car stops on several. An EUC is toast as soon traction and trajectory is off. And this happes really fast. 

Errrr, think you got me wrong here, as I'm not against going car speeds on EUC alongside car traffic (I do it all the time!).

I was just saying that lightweight and 25mph+ do not no mix, this combo will send you flying on bumps, per my experience.

For 25mph+, heavier wheels are the way to go.

33 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Errrr, think you got me wrong here, as I'm not against going car speeds on EUC alongside car traffic (I do it all the time!).

I was just saying that lightweight and 25mph+ do not no mix, this combo will send you flying on bumps, per my experience.

The point I am trying to make, at higher speed you need more space to react. Your reaction might not be as fast and possible as a new modern car. Yes you do not tale as much space, but traction and centrifugal forces can help or work agenst you.

11 minutes ago, Unventor said:

The point I am trying to make, at higher speed you need more space to react. Your reaction might not be as fast and possible as a new modern car. Yes you do not tale as much space, but traction and centrifugal forces can help or work agenst you.

I don't think you're factoring in that EUCs, unlike cars, can cut on a dime to shave speed, and proportionally, we have much more relative spacing to do so than a car.

This is, of course, provided you possess the technique and are not just a straight-line rider.

1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

🙏

28 minutes ago, Flying W said:

@Lutalo, I saw the pic of your son in the catacombs,  he must be having a blast! Does have an EUC in Paris? 

:D I just shipped him the 18L last week. Should be getting it tomorrow. Hopefully, he will be blasting around Paris on it this weekend. :D

Archived