So I’ve stopped riding everything but my Z10

Barrett Roberts

3 hours ago, Afeez Kay said:

10.5 stones / 67 kg what ever that is in American weight pounds.. we don’t normally use pounds to measure weight in the UK 🇬🇧 

Ironically, the US was one of the first countries to recognize the metric system, after France. Way back in 1866.

"At press time, only three of the world's countries don't use the metric system: the United States, Myanmar and Liberia. But it didn't have to be this way....in1866, the Metric Act was passed by the Senate. The law, which was intended "to authorize the use of the metric system of weights and measures," was signed by then-President Andrew Johnson the next day. It provided a table of standardized measurements for converting between metric and the commonly used American system that could be used for trade.  The Metric Act doesn't require Americans to use the metric system, but it did legally recognize the then-relatively-new system. It remains law–although it has been substantially amended over time–to this day, writes the US Metric Association."

BUt...some of America is metric already..

"American manufacturers have put out all-metric cars, and the wine and spirits industry abandoned fifths for 75-milliliter bottles. The metric system is, quietly and behind the scenes, now the standard in most industries, with a few notable exceptions like construction. Its use in public life is also on the uptick, as anyone who has run a “5K” can tell you."

Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/america-has-been-struggling-metric-system-almost-230-years-180964147/#kz26A6E9biVpBpZq.99

Entering this search term (  metric sysytem official in usa  ) brought up all kinds of interesting stuff.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Smoother said:

Ironically, the US was one of the first countries to recognize the metric system, after France. Way back in 1866.

"At press time, only three of the world's countries don't use the metric system: the United States, Myanmar and Liberia. But it didn't have to be this way....in1866, the Metric Act was passed by the Senate. The law, which was intended "to authorize the use of the metric system of weights and measures," was signed by then-President Andrew Johnson the next day. It provided a table of standardized measurements for converting between metric and the commonly used American system that could be used for trade.  The Metric Act doesn't require Americans to use the metric system, but it did legally recognize the then-relatively-new system. It remains law–although it has been substantially amended over time–to this day, writes the US Metric Association."

"American manufacturers have put out all-metric cars, and the wine and spirits industry abandoned fifths for 75-milliliter bottles. The metric system is, quietly and behind the scenes, now the standard in most industries, with a few notable exceptions like construction. Its use in public life is also on the uptick, as anyone who has run a “5K” can tell you."

Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/america-has-been-struggling-metric-system-almost-230-years-180964147/#kz26A6E9biVpBpZq.99

Entering this search term (  metric sysytem official in usa  ) brought up all kinds of interesting stuff.

I am good with either. It is just that the metric units for length just don’t work well for me. In the US I would almost never use the yard - meter. The metric system dose not have a foot. 

Then when you buy steel it comes in metric measurements converted from 1/8” increments. A sheet of plywood is 4x8 and metric equivalent is a mess. 

We are used the fractions in the US and fractions do not work well with metric. When building things you end up driving into sections. 12 can be divided by 2,3,4 and 6 easily. This carries on into feet. 8 foot divided by 2 =48”, 3=32”, 4=24”, 6=16”  . In metric you start with 250 ,2= 125, 3= 83.3333333333, 4= 62.5, 6= 41.3333333. I always say number don’t care about your feelings but damn that is ugly. 

I am not trying to start a war here. The metric system make a lot more sense on paper. I just think the metric system would be more practical if a meter were 4 foot. 

I'm continually confused by the British use of Metric. Americans will be criticized about sticking with Imperial measurements, yet I routinely hear Brit's use "miles" to describe distance. And they often use "stones" to describe weight - is that a metric measure :lol:

Maybe those whole live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones (see what I did there) :D

4 hours ago, RockyTop said:

The metric system make a lot more sense on paper. I just think the metric system would be more practical if a meter were 4 foot. 

interesting take on the subject.

2 hours ago, RockyTop said:

We ride 18 inch wheels, adjust the psi (inch) and check our mileage. To be far some peoples use bars and the term mileage when talking about km. 

Yes, It's a mashed up measurement world.  There is no metric word equivalent for mileage; ? that I know of. kilometerage just doesn't roll off the tongue.  And I hate Bar unless we're talking about turbo boost.

England came late to the metric thing.  As a result a lot of our stuff is Imperial converted to metric, so that the consume was still buying something in a weight they were familiar with.  For example you might expect a small can or jar of food to contain 500g net.  Noooo! we have cans/jars of 454g net.  Why? because 454g equals 1lb (453.592g to be specific).

However, if you study the metric system the way ALL the units (weight, length, volume, etc) align is very clever. 

The one thing I don't like is in the building trade things are often quoted in mm.  So someone might say "cut me a piece 2354 long".  Does my head in.  What's wrong with 235.4cm? I can visualize that much better.  I cant "see" 2354mm in my head until I convert it to something bigger than a mm.

BTW @RockyTop an 8x4 over here (UK, I can't say for the rest of Europe) is 2400x1200 because those are the nearest round numbers that most closely match the old 8x4 we used to use (7'103/8ths by 3'111/4") :wacko:

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm continually confused by the British use of Metric. Americans will be criticized about sticking with Imperial measurements, yet I routinely hear Brit's use "miles" to describe distance. And they often use "stones" to describe weight - is that a metric measure :lol:

Yes, it's confusing, It's a real mishmash.  Then, on a site like this, recognizing the majority of users are US based, we sometimes translate our data to make it easier to digest (as @Olavdid when describing his weight as 16 stone- for my benefit) Historically we(England) used "stone" to weigh humans, pounds for everything else, and we drove miles, and used gallons (imperial, not US) But when we joined the "Common Market" which is roughly the EU some things were required to change.  Some old timers still like to measure in pounds, and ALL steel tape measures have inches and mm on them.  I sometimes work with my brothers building things and some use mm and some use inches.  When we were forced to measure fuel in litres we clung to our MPG ratings of vehicles. and we put psi in our tyres.  Our roads are still meassured in miles and our speedometers are in miles too (often with km on a smaller scale for travels in mainland Europe).  So yeah, it's confusing over here(UK) too.  Most of Europe has been metric for many generations, so to them it's natural.  I grew up with, and still use miles, so when ever km are mentioned I have to do a quick conversion in my head(phone app) (1km = 0.62miles) So I either multiply or divide by 0.62 depending on which way I'm converting.

So i let some air pressure out of the Z10 (i don't know what psi I'm on now😐) and headed for the woods WELL what can i say 😊😊😊😊 this thing gets better, it floats over everything I'm going to love this in the summer , it's a bit wet at the moment but still loved it ,over branches over pebbles over bumps it obsorbs everything dare i say better than the msx for the trails i love the wide contact patch, even on the roads i tried to aim for tram lines that made it a bit squarilly ,, all gone,, i charged my msx up last night but went out on the z10 😀, it's just so much fun I'm starting to throw it around a bit now . Probably my last go though until my charger arrives ☹️ anyway i had a blast , no video's sorry 

interesting take on the subject.

Yes, It's a mashed up measurement world.  There is no metric word equivalent for mileage; ? that I know of. kilometerage just doesn't roll off the tongue.  And I hate Bar unless we're talking about turbo boost.

England came late to the metric thing.  As a result a lot of our stuff is Imperial converted to metric, so that the consume was still buying something in a weight they were familiar with.  For example you might expect a small can or jar of food to contain 500g net.  Noooo! we have cans/jars of 454g net.  Why? because 454g equals 1lb (453.592g to be specific).

However, if you study the metric system the way ALL the units (weight, length, volume, etc) align is very clever. 

The one thing I don't like is in the building trade things are often quoted in mm.  So someone might say "cut me a piece 2354 long".  Does my head in.  What's wrong with 235.4cm? I can visualize that much better.  I cant "see" 2354mm in my head until I convert it to something bigger than a mm.

BTW @RockyTop an 8x4 over here (UK, I can't say for the rest of Europe) is 2400x1200 because those are the nearest round numbers that most closely match the old 8x4 we used to use (7'103/8ths by 3'111/4") :wacko:

Yes, it's confusing, It's a real mishmash.  Then, on a site like this, recognizing the majority of users are US based, we sometimes translate our data to make it easier to digest (as @Olavdid when describing his weight as 16 stone- for my benefit) Historically we(England) used "stone" to weigh humans, pounds for everything else, and we drove miles, and used gallons (imperial, not US) But when we joined the "Common Market" which is roughly the EU some things were required to change.  Some old timers still like to measure in pounds, and ALL steel tape measures have inches and mm on them.  I sometimes work with my brothers building things and some use mm and some use inches.  When we were forced to measure fuel in litres we clung to our MPG ratings of vehicles. and we put psi in our tyres.  Our roads are still meassured in miles and our speedometers are in miles too (often with km on a smaller scale for travels in mainland Europe).  So yeah, it's confusing over here(UK) too.  Most of Europe has been metric for many years, so to them it's natural.  I grew up and still use miles, so when ever km are mentioned I have to do a quick conversion in my head(phone app) (1km = 0.62miles) So I either multiply or divide by 0.62 depending on which way I'm converting.

So it sounds like England is a mishmash just like the United States, although in the consumer realm there are zero signs of us going metric.  

4 hours ago, RockyTop said:

This carries on into feet. 8 foot divided by 2 =48”, 3=32”, 4=24”, 6=16”  . In metric you start with 250 ,2= 125, 3= 83.3333333333, 4= 62.5, 6= 41.3333333. I always say number don’t care about your feelings but damn that is ugly.

I didn't read this bit carefully the first time through (yes I sometimes read things twice, or more even!)

I'm not sure why you chose 250 to represent the metric system in "the 8 foot challenge" but since I talked about a metric 8 foot being 2400mm. lets do your sums again comparing apples to apples this time.

2400/2 = 1200. 2400/3 = 800. 2400/4 = 600. 2400/5 = 480. 2400/6 = 400. 2400/7 = a mess. 2400/8 = 300. 2400/9 = a mess 2400/10 = 240 2400/12 = 200 2400/15 = 160 3400/16 = 150 2400/20 = 120

so a metric 8 feet (2400mm) can be divided cleanly 11 times up to and including dividing by 20.  I don't think that's bad. 

It can be cleanly divided by 2, 3, 4, 5. 6. 8, 10, 12, 15, 16, 20

2, 3, 4, 5. 6. 8, 10, 12, 15, 16, 20 (metric)

2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 16. (imperial)

8 feet (96") can be divided cleanly (up to 20) 8 times. It can be divided by 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, and 16. 

11 metric  vs 8 imperial.  Metric doesn't sound so messy and hopeless to me. It is, after all metric, and anything based on 10 is simple to add or subtract zeros to (move the decimal point around) to scale up or down.

I did this exercise because I didn't know what the result would be.  So I hope you found it as interesting as I did.

1 minute ago, Marty Backe said:

So it sounds like England is a mishmash just like the United States, although in the consumer realm there are zero signs of us going metric.  

That's just the half of it.  We don't have HP any more, it's PS or KW (but we still talk about horse power)  Torque has become Nm (Newton metres, yes metREs because that is the french spelling and the French invented the metric system even though my spell check throws a wobbly ) but we still talk about torque,  zero to 60 has become zero to 62 because 62mph = 100kph, But we still talk about nought to 60 times.

And of course our torque wrenches are calibrated in Nm too, but we still call them torque wrenches.:confused1:  :facepalm:

It''s a wonder our heads don't explode.

23 minutes ago, Smoother said:

I didn't read this bit carefully the first time through (yes I sometimes read things twice, or more even!)

I'm not sure why you chose 250 to represent the metric system in "the 8 foot challenge" but since I talked about a metric 8 foot being 2400mm. lets do your sums again comparing apples to apples this time.

2400/2 = 1200. 2400/3 = 800. 2400/4 = 600. 2400/5 = 480. 2400/6 = 400. 2400/7 = a mess. 2400/8 = 300. 2400/9 = a mess 2400/10 = 240 2400/12 = 200 2400/15 = 160 3400/16 = 150 2400/20 = 120

so a metric 8 feet (2400mm) can be divided cleanly 11 times up to and including dividing by 20.  I don't think that's bad. 

It can be cleanly divided by 2, 3, 4, 5. 6. 8, 10, 12, 15, 16, 20

2, 3, 4, 5. 6. 8, 10, 12, 15, 16, 20 (metric)

2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 16. (imperial)

8 feet (96") can be divided cleanly (up to 20) 8 times. It can be divided by 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, and 16. 

11 metric  vs 8 imperial.  Metric doesn't sound so messy and hopeless to me. It is, after all metric, and anything based on 10 is simple to add or subtract zeros to (move the decimal point around) to scale up or down.

I did this exercise because I didn't know what the result would be.  So I hope you found it as interesting as I did.

That works nicely.  The reason that I used the 250cm number is because I had the misfortune of receiving 200 sheets of “metric” plywood that measured 250 x125. It said metric on the plywood. We cut it all down to 4x8.

The lumber was a blessing. Someone gave it to the Habitat for humanity. As a favor a local lumber yard excepted the lumber as a trade for standard 4x8 then donated the metric lumber to the VFW to build a LZ friendly hangout.

24 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

47073706501_ee7e4247e6_b.jpg

11 minutes ago, Girth Brooks said:

@Rehab1 so hilarious and mostly true

I do use the metric system 50% of the time in my practice but find myself asking Siri for a conversation. I love that lady. :)

Siri embarrasses me. I ask her to convert 27 cm to inches  and she says in a disgusted voice “SORRY Rocky! , can not DO that for you!” I look around and people are looking at me like just asked her to .......... well you know. 

26 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

Siri embarrasses me. I ask her to convert 27 cm to inches  and she says in a disgusted voice “SORRY Rocky! , can not DO that for you!” I look around and people are looking at me like just asked her to .......... well you know. 

I think I'm supposed to be laughing, but I don't get it.  What am I missing.?  Are you trying to say a certain part of your anatomy is 27cm long.  Wow, that like 2 newton metres.:o

@RockyTop 250cm (2500mm) Ah yes, I see what they did there.  As in any of these "decision" scenarios they rounded UP to the next round number.  I can see why they did it.  Mostly because if a buyer wants an 8x4 and can only find the metric stuff, at least they can rip it down to fit in with their 8x4 needs.  Your 250/anything (except 10) is more than valid.

18 minutes ago, Smoother said:

I think I'm supposed to be laughing, but I don't get it.  What am I missing.?  Are you trying to say a certain part of your anatomy is 27cm long.  Wow, that like 2 newton metres.:o

No, for some reason when I ask her to do almost anything she acts like I asked her to do something disgusting and refuses to do it. People ask me, What did you tell her to do? My wife says she has never said those words to her yet it is a daily thing for me. Siri show me the weather? Or , Siri what time is it? “SORRY Rocky, I can not DO that for you!” 

10 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

Siri what time is it? “SORRY Rocky, I can not DO that for you!” 

Ah, I see, so not 27cm then :o Maybe you should drop the Hanibal Lecter accent;) "quid pro quo Siri"

"Siri, order me some fava beens and a nice Chianti"

Ok, I have a real Z10 question:

How come all you EUC horders and or speed freaks, who swore by the ever increasing Voltage race (from 67.2V to 84V to 100V) and extolled the virtues of higher voltage, are now swarming to the Z10 with it what is it? 58V system? Other than the batmoblie tyre, what's going on here?

brandjack.jpg

Another thread successfully hijacked.  My work here is done.:ph34r:

Wow wow I hijacked the thread with my ‘we people in the UK 🇬🇧 do not use pounds to measure weight’ ;)

brandjack.jpg

Another thread successfully hijacked.  My work here is done.:ph34r:

Sorry. I may have hijacked your hijack. What was this topic again?:huh: 

Ok, I have a real Z10 question:

How come all you EUC horders and or speed freaks, who swore by the ever increasing Voltage race (from 67.2V to 84V to 100V) and extolled the virtues of higher voltage, are now swarming to the Z10 with it what is it? 58V system? Other than the batmoblie tyre, what's going on here?

33199977128_4a1e0a5c79_b.jpg

@Marty Backe @houseofjob Has anyone of you encountered a ‘Motor sensor’ warning ⚠️ message when you open the Ninebot app? I experienced this, switch off the wheel and switch back on and it was gone.

The message came after changing the name of my wheel in the App.

i also experience a bit of calibration issue when the wheel slowly nose dives when I switch it on.. switch it off and on again and that was also gone. 

Archived