So I’ve stopped riding everything but my Z10

Barrett Roberts

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

So my Z10 never came with an instruction manual (lol I read those) and I’ve been getting that typical Segway warning beep sound at top speeds but no tiltback. Which scares me because isn’t this supposed to have tilt back you can’t turn off?

And on my miniplus and pro’s that warning sound usually accompanies tiltback and means the top speed you can go.

When is tiltback vs when is warning sound?

Can't you lift the wheel up untill it speeds to max and see if it tilts back .

1 hour ago, Darrell Wesh said:

So my Z10 never came with an instruction manual (lol I read those) and I’ve been getting that typical Segway warning beep sound at top speeds but no tiltback. Which scares me because isn’t this supposed to have tilt back you can’t turn off?

And on my miniplus and pro’s that warning sound usually accompanies tiltback and means the top speed you can go.

When is tiltback vs when is warning sound?

The Z10's do come with a manual. Don't know what happened with yours.

On mine, when I hear the warning beeps, they are accompanied with a gentle tilt-back. I did not think that tilt-back could be turned off.

Fully charged, tilt-back/beeping occurs at 28-mph (at our weight). By 80-percent battery that'll be closer to 26-mph. It's only below 25% that the tilt-back will kick-in at lower, sub-20-mph, speeds. At 10-percent, beeping/tilt-back will be occurring at less than 10-mph.

You should definitely see if there's a setting that is not set properly. Try changing the max speed to 10-mph and see what happens.

21 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

The Z10's do come with a manual. Don't know what happened with yours.

On mine, when I hear the warning beeps, they are accompanied with a gentle tilt-back. I did not think that tilt-back could be turned off.

Fully charged, tilt-back/beeping occurs at 28-mph (at our weight). By 80-percent battery that'll be closer to 26-mph. It's only below 25% that the tilt-back will kick-in at lower, sub-20-mph, speeds. At 10-percent, beeping/tilt-back will be occurring at less than 10-mph.

You should definitely seen if there's a setting that is not set properly. Try changing the max speed to 10-mph and see what happens.

The dead z10 i first received came with a manual but this new one they sent they opened up to make sure it wasn’t dead and conveniently didn’t put the manual back in before shipping to me. 

6 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

The dead z10 i first received came with a manual but this new one they sent they opened up to make sure it wasn’t dead and conveniently didn’t put the manual back in before shipping to me. 

I can make a scan of mine if you want.

57 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I can make a scan of mine if you want.

Hmm I think you’ve answered my only questions thus far, no need!

i did do 6.2 limited mode and felt the tiltback. I just had been immediately slowing down at top speed after hearing the warning tone so I never experienced the tiltback.

3 hours ago, Smoother said:

Imagine what Michael could have done on an EUC; he had supreme control of his body movements.

Funny! I need that. :)

4 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

I only ever ride my Z at the top of charge, and I concur, on straightline max speed, beeps first, then onset of tiltback when you push a little bit faster, it's just hard to feel as the whole pedal alignment of the current Z firmware is already slightly tilted back (hope they fix this in a firmware sooner, if ever *smh).

I've got a week under my belt on the Z10, only one charge and about 25 miles.  Learning to turn,  it seems to like weighting the inside toe, instead of weighting the outside like the E+.  I haven't got to the point where I can carve back and forth around leaves and spots on the sidewalk at 15mph+ yet, but I'm getting there.

I chose the Z10 based on the comments found in this thread.  I am loving it!

Rode the Z10 at night in 5degrees Fahrenheit yesterday. Of course that didn’t feel cold at all with good gear (what polar vortex?)🙂

I had no problems with the headlight. In fact, it’s amazing! It shines pretty damn high, into the treetops sure, but it still lights up what’s in front of me and way out in front in a wide pattern. It’s almost like the Xenons they put in cars back before LEDS but it needs a projector casing instead of a reflector(to get a good beam cutoff pattern instead of throwing the light everywhere. Still a very very good light for an EUC, can see clearly at night.)

I usually don’t ever ride my unicycles at night, only the scooters, but the Z changes that by being so stable over bumps combined with the great visibility from the headlight. My new go-to night rider unicycle. 

Now if they could just make it faster somehow.... I never knew 5mph could be such a big deal but that’s the difference in cruising speed between my MSX and my Z10. The Z beeping at 27-28mph isn’t enough in the 25mph zones I cruise on with cars (there’s very little traffic here so cars routinely go 5-9mph over the limit.)

31 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

How do you do that?

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/11976-ninetool-increase-max-speed-ninebot-and-change-model/

As others have already mentioned - Use this mod at your own risk. I have not tried it on my Z10, but was tempted to when I read about it.   I decided to purchase an MSX instead for a higher top speed and will leave the Z10 with its factory settings. 

Just to have said it:

The speed of every electric motor depends on Voltage! So please, please guys be careful with this “mod”!

We even have seen Z10 failing when accelerating to hard on their “producer” speed limit! The capabilitz of what the Z10 can speed up when you “lift it up” the ground...has nothing todo with real life numbers! When somebody is standing on the wheel and accelerating, you will -depending on driver weight- have a MASSIVE voltage drop...and these voltagedrop then leads to a -much- lower max speed!!!

So it is higly dangerous to set the maxspeed above the “producer allowed max speed” ...as this may take away any and all safety space that is available.....

But everyone on its own!

Beware on hefty accelerations...and beware of that even more when the battery gets lower!!!

On 1/30/2019 at 8:22 PM, Darrell Wesh said:

I don’t have a manual in mine either,,,sealed box to😕

5 hours ago, stephen said:

I don’t have a manual in mine either,,,sealed box to😕

Did you get the box that has the rubber bumpers and grip tape for the pedals?

The primary language in the manual seems to be English. Since you didn't buy it through a Western distributor, maybe those wheels don't get the manual. It does have Chinese (I think) in the back half though. Hmmm.

Here's a PDF of the manual: Dropbox Link

@houseofjob and @Marty Backe does your z10 shudder on hard braking sometimes? Like it’s trying to grab then loses grip then regains it.

I nearly came off as I lost my footing. Earlier z10 seems to be more realiable than ones made after August. I am on firmware 1.0.4

51 minutes ago, Afeez Kay said:

@houseofjob and @Marty Backe does your z10 shudder on hard braking sometimes? Like it’s trying to grab then loses grip then regains it.

I nearly came off as I lost my footing. Earlier z10 seems to be more realiable than ones made after August. I am on firmware 1.0.4

Sounds like your wheel is trying to kill you... I have heard it is the same under full on acceleration. 

Archived