So I’ve stopped riding everything but my Z10

Barrett Roberts

1 hour ago, Vanzen said:

But I admit it, I have initial buyer euphoria with the MSX that I find absolutely awesome in every aspect and situation and I dont see why it would change.

Well, it did for me, my opinion would change every time I got on the MSX the first couple of months. My opinion was actually closer to your's early on.

The MSX reminds me very much of my experience with my now RIP Rockwheel GT16v1. I would excuse the poor ergonomics because of the thrill of the performance (the GT16 for it's time, was a top performer, QC issues aside).

But, by taking my time to formulate my opinions, and being objective and solely focusing on ergonomics / comfort (not performance), compared to other model wheel comfort going at the same speed, both MSX & GT16 I eventually realized, after much riding, had some of the worst ergonomics / comfort across all makes & models, by comparison (of course, this is all relative, and we can all just adjust and compensate for a wheel's poor ergonomics). 

Gotway has gotten smarter and moved on to more comfortable shells with sloped designs, as @Marty Backe mentions. Which again leaves me mystified why people want to settle for this regurgitation model when there is better to come (unless you need a wheel ASAP I guess).

1 hour ago, Vanzen said:

I didnt have initial  buyers euphoria with the KS18 that I sold back after 200km, so boring I found this wheel. And not manoeuvrable enought in the city.

If this is the short L / XL you're talking about, I'll agree with you about the boring-ness: this is why I don't own one any more, much preferring the uniqueness in design and feeling of my tall KS-18S, though the L/XL are excellent models.

But the KS-18L / XL not maneuverable enough?

I doubt I can find any tried-and-true rider here in NYC that will agree with you on that. If one could shove an MSX motor in the 18L/XL form factor, this might be the holy grail wheel for many, judging by the reactions I see by the ridership here and elsewhere.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, houseofjob said:

But the KS-18L / XL not maneuverable enough?

Yup talking about the 18L

Personnal feeling again here :)

I dont like "high" wheel like the KS or V8/V10

I find "low" ones (MSX/Z10) more maneuverable in city environment.

2 hours ago, houseofjob said:

If this is the short L / XL you're talking about, I'll agree with you about the boring-ness: this is why I don't own one any more, much preferring the uniqueness in design and feeling of my tall KS-18S, though the L/XL are excellent models.

The 18s with the XL pedals is sooo comfortable. I used to always reach for my MSX but once I put those pedals on it’s a no brainer which id rather take now a days.  

I always wanted to ask; which did you find the most comfy-Monster seated or the Ks18s seated?

On 1/21/2019 at 3:01 PM, houseofjob said:

the KS-18L / XL not maneuverable enough?

I doubt I can find any tried-and-true rider here in NYC that will agree with you on that.

Or in DC. Wow! I try to stay open minded, but I am struggling to wrap my mind around that one. 

On 1/21/2019 at 6:24 PM, houseofjob said:

@Vanzen

Sorry, I don't judge wheels after just a week ownership, we all have initial buyers euphoria thinking that the wheel we purchased is the bestest of best wheels ever, ... and you should, you paid your hard earned money for it.

This, FWIW, is also why I don't give much credence (sorry) to opinions formulated so early into one's ownership, even my own.

But I've ridden both Z and MSX extensively now since both wheels came out.

And I could care less about brand loyalty.

After riding every new EUC make and model since 2016 except the now defunct UniWheel and iPS i5, saying the MSX is comfortable just means you haven't ridden enough different wheels, or are just too new and devoted to your current new purchase to be reasoned with, which is, again, understandable: we've all been there.

But if I offered an experienced rider an MSX motor outfitted with any other Gotway shell ergonomics (like a blown up MCM5 ergo), they would take the Frankenstein Gotway over the stock MSX every day.

And this is not just my opinion, it's the prevailing opinion of satisfied MSX diehard owners here in NYC, who have ridden their wheels daily since the MSX launch.

Do you know too?? The Tesla V2 with motor cut off on lift?? I thought no one knew.. how did you know? :w00t2:

1 minute ago, houseofjob said:

giphy.gif

I was exchanging messages with Gotway and they mentioned a Tesla with wheel spin cutoff when you lift the wheel ala inmotion and Gotway Nikola. Should be out in 2 months.. you mentioned a MSX motor in a big MCM5 form factor, which is what the Tesla effectively is. 

So I assumed maybe you also heard the Tesla is to be revampt. 

2 minutes ago, Afeez Kay said:

I was exchanging messages with Gotway and they mentioned a Tesla with wheel spin cutoff when you lift the wheel ala inmotion and Gotway Nikola. Should be out in 2 months.. you mentioned a MSX motor in a big MCM5 form factor, which is what the Tesla effectively is. 

So I assumed maybe you also heard the Tesla is to be revampt. 

Are you sure they weren't just talking about the Nikola? It's essentially Tesla v2.

3 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Are you sure they weren't just talking about the Nikola? It's essentially Tesla v2.

No I told them Tesla.. and stated that the Tesla is there best all round wheel to date and the key thing missing was the wheel spin cut off on lift.. they said it is coming in 2 months time.. and they made it clear that the Nikola is coming in June..

1 minute ago, Afeez Kay said:

No I told them Tesla.. and stated that the Tesla is there best all round wheel to date and the key thing missing was the wheel spin cut off on lift.. they said it is coming in 2 months time.. and they made it clear that the Nikola is coming in June..

Errr, who's they?

Every reputed Gotway dealer has been saying the Nikola is launching March, ecodrift, eWheels, Gotway Korea, etc, etc.

2 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Errr, who's they?

Every reputed Gotway dealer has been saying the Nikola is launching March, ecodrift, eWheels, Gotway Korea, etc, etc.

Kebye Gotway told me otherwise.. looking at June release 

@Barrett Roberts  I just got my Z10, it took me longer to ride to get coffee this morning that it did on my E+.  I hope I can get use to it turning like a tank, bouncing all over and turning down any slight grade.  I have less that ten miles on it, So I hope I figure it out and enjoy it as much as some of you say you do.......

5 minutes ago, Dave Frear said:

@Barrett Roberts  I just got my Z10, it took me longer to ride to get coffee this morning that it did on my E+.  I hope I can get use to it turning like a tank, bouncing all over and turning down any slight grade.  I have less that ten miles on it, So I hope I figure it out and enjoy it as much as some of you say you do.......

It becomes easier with time.  I didn’t like my Z10 at first.  It was frustrating to ride because the wide tire seemed to always want to stay upright.  Turning it meant throwing my weight into a turn in a way that felt unnatural  (to me). After riding it for a while and learning its idiosyncrasies, it has become my favorite wheel.  It’s fun now to get it up to speed, bend my knees and lean hard into a turn.  Then, at slower speeds maneuver it as easily as my Glide 3.  

I find the Z10 to be my most confidence inspiring wheel because of how easily it will turn at low speed and how it wants to stay upright at high speed.  It reminds me of riding a motorcycle.  I also have a KS18L, which is a no brainer for distance riding with the new pedals and easily outperforms the Z10 in range, braking and acceleration, but I still choose the Z10 for most rides because the wide tubeless tire handles bumps, dips, grass, dirt, sand and corners so well.  It really inspires a lot of confidence because I know it’s going to soak up any terrain or situation I encounter.  I feel myself concentrating less on the terrain on the Z10 and just enjoying the ride.

Unfortunately, based on some of the reliability issues other Z10 owners have reported I don’t think I would have it as my only wheel.  I don’t anticipate that it will hold up as welI as the 18L over time, but I’ll enjoy it while I can.

Now I just started to read his thread, only made it to first pahe, and what jumps into my eyes here is how great it is we have different brands and wheel options. 

As with most other thing there are not one wheel to rule them all. The more interesting part here to me is that some wants something specific rather than a more versatile that tick more boxes, ok or good.

And yet there are others like me that prefer an allrounder solution as I don't plan to have 10 different wheels any time soon.

@Dave Frear it will come to you. I can see why all of you who rode the Z10 after learning on other wheels struggle at first. I just got a Monster as a 2nd wheel after learning on my Z10. The Z is very much a different animal. A big challenge to master for me but I have loved the process myself.

turning at high speed is so much fun once you are more use to it; I love speeding into a turn and try to find the balance point of how much I can over hang the wheel and try to pull the wheel into the turn. 

5 hours ago, Hsiang said:

turning at high speed is so much fun once you are more use to it; I love speeding into a turn and try to find the balance point of how much I can over hang the wheel and try to pull the wheel into the turn. 

Just got the Z10 today and rode it around for an hour or two. No problem getting used to turning it as I’ve been getting low and leaning hard on my MSX for awhile now. Also read @houseofjob tips on being wide stanced and watching @RoberAce videos(helpful stuff). 

It was initially odd for the first couple minutes seeing that I can push down left and the wheel will turn me right. 

FIRST impressions: @Hsiang the MSX is superior and more fun for turning hard at speed. the Z’s pedals are tooo low, I scraped within five minutes. The MSX is almost impossible to scrape “unintentionally”. That was what I was really looking to compare between the two.

Stability wise woooah! I felt like I was on the two wheeled Segway minipro while going straight it was “too stable” like @Tishawn Fahie had mentioned. Very comfortable wheel, barely ever touch it if you stand wide. The perception of speed is hardly there on the Z, I was cruising at 25mph and was shocked to see I was going that fast it was so stable. 

Someone mentioned that the Z was like a steam roller over bumps. Very true! It just flattens them out, it never bounces. Over grass I couldn’t even tell I was going over grass. My other wheels would “dig” into the grass with their narrower tires but the Z just glides across the top of grass.

7 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

Just got the Z10 today and rode it around for an hour or two. No problem getting used to turning it as I’ve been getting low and leaning hard on my MSX for awhile now. Also read @houseofjob tips on being wide stanced and watching @RoberAce videos(helpful stuff). 

It was initially odd for the first couple minutes seeing that I can push down left and the wheel will turn me right. 

FIRST impressions: @Hsiang the MSX is superior and more fun for turning hard at speed. the Z’s pedals are tooo low, I scraped within five minutes. The MSX is almost impossible to scrape “unintentionally”. That was what I was really looking to compare between the two.

Stability wise woooah! I felt like I was on the two wheeled Segway minipro while going straight it was “too stable” like @Tishawn Fahie had mentioned. Very comfortable wheel, barely ever touch it if you stand wide. The perception of speed is hardly there on the Z, I was cruising at 25mph and was shocked to see I was going that fast it was so stable. 

Someone mentioned that the Z was like a steam roller over bumps. Very true! It just flattens them out, it never bounces. Over grass I couldn’t even tell I was going over grass. My other wheels would “dig” into the grass with their narrower tires but the Z just glides across the top of grass.

Congrat's on the new wheel.

I just wanted to comment briefly on the pedal scraping. Am I the only one who can't scrape the pedals on the Z10? I find this wheel particularly difficult to scrape pedals. Kind of like the Mten3 too - although the pedals are very low, that wheel also wants to stay upright. @houseofjob, do you pedal scrape the Z10? What am I doing wrong? :) Maybe I'm not riding it aggressively enough :confused1:

All these z10 owners ,Oooh the slow boat from China 35 days been waiting so far ,hope it gets here soon I want to ride in the snow,I’m looking forward to leaning into the z10 it will bring back my motorbike days🤪,it looks a perfect wheel 

27 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Congrat's on the new wheel.

I just wanted to comment briefly on the pedal scraping. Am I the only one who can't scrape the pedals on the Z10? I find this wheel particularly difficult to scrape pedals. Kind of like the Mten3 too - although the pedals are very low, that wheel also wants to stay upright. @houseofjob, do you pedal scrape the Z10? What am I doing wrong? :) Maybe I'm not riding it aggressively enough :confused1:

It is hardly scratch the pedal as mentioned the wheel always want to stay upright. But in low speed with hard turning (lean too much), there is a chance to scratch it.

Some time I will feel tired to riding my Z6 because have to move your body and leg to counter balance the wheel while turning. 

Archived