sifou

Open-source EUC motherboard

Hi all, I was wondering if some of you would be interested in developing an open-source EUC motherboard to substitute some of the current motherboards provided by the manufacturers. The advantage of this? Completely custom design and free for the community!

I'm able to design the board related to the hardware (from schematics, to layout, manufacturing and assembling), but I'm definitely NOT good at firmware in any of the cases (uC, FPGA, SoC...). That's why I would like to know if there is some interested person to collaborate with the SW/FW part in this project. I would like to make the design for my current EUC (Rockwheel GT16), but I don't mind to make the layout for any other EUC (the schematics would be 99% the same). If there is a REALLY interested person to help me, I offer myself to give away a custom motherboard(s) for free to test and develop the FW (and SW if possible, but I guess Wheellog would be a good start).

Any interested to collaborate?

Edited by sifou
  • Upvote 1

I tried a few years ago, had plenty of prototype hardware running but I could never find anyone who could code in C that was willing to work on it.

Someone posted a link to this project in another topic about control boards maybe about a week ago:

https://github.com/blezalex/WheelBoardMain 

Maybe that could be used as a base, it's for STM32F103 (Cortex-M3) and contains the library for using the MPU6050 -IMU, although there are probably other similar projects floating around. I might have a try myself at some point, currently I'm crash-coursing myself through ARM Cortex-M's datasheets and literature (and specifically Cortex-M3/STM32F103, because it's the only chip I have at hand at the moment), as I'm supposed to start a new job as an embedded developer next month, but haven't used anything other than Atmel AVR for hobby stuff and in school over a decade ago  ;) 

• Like 2

That looks pretty decent, the drone board is only $15, I'm going to make a new VESC board using the DRV8350RH it has a 100V limit and eliminates the need for gate resistors and diodes, it should be easy to make an extremely compact PCB. It would probably be easier to control the VESC over UART than PPM.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I would love to be part of this project! I know C! Hit me up!

On 1/20/2019 at 10:41 AM, lizardmech said:

I tried a few years ago, had plenty of prototype hardware running but I could never find anyone who could code in C that was willing to work on it.

Exact quote of mine from the 2018 thread:

"I have decent ability in firmware (and hardware) but unfortunately not a lot of spare time due to work.  Still, if you have a good understanding, let me know and maybe I can help."

:)

So, anytime people are ready to get something together, let me know.  I am a little lean on the control theory but my degree is in SW, and I've spent several years building "embedded stuff" (SW and basic HW) for various employers.

No matter who does what, like I said in @KuphJr 's recent post, I would really suggest coming up with a well-documented design which is hardware-agnostic first.  And that certainly does not require C knowledge. ;)

• Upvote 1