Where does EUC adoption come from?

Terenig

10 minutes ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

Im curious to learn how long it took to teach some extras, or if they were EUC riders beforehand...

I suspect they already knew how to ride EUCs. They rode with a lot of skill.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

This is where the Chinese do not help the cause of their products with videos like this :ph34r:

It's very old-fashioned way of commercial advertisement in China, which is quite popular in small city. In big city, they will be stopped by the local police and fined for serveral amount of money for making noise and riding unicycle on the main road.

6 minutes ago, Liamfind said:

It's very old-fashioned way of commercial advertisement in China, which is quite popular in small city. In big city, they will be stopped by the local police and fined for serveral amount of money for making noise and riding unicycle on the main road.

That's actually cool that it's a Chinese cultural tradition! Never heard of it. Too bad the police don't like it.

i had a hoverboard back when they were popular because they were everywhere and i thought hey, im lazy, i could use that instead of walking.. got it, hated it.. utterly useless unless you live inside of a shopping mall because over even slightly uneven terrain they suck, not to mention the top speed is laughable and battery is atrocious... but, when it was possible to ride it (mostly in the house lets be honest) i got hooked, so naturally i look at something much better, electric scooters... i actually stupidly placed an order for one on kickstarter, one year passed and the stupid thing was still in the earl manufacturing process so i said screw it and sold my pledge again looking for some alternative.. eventually i stumbled across a youtube video of an euc and i thought that looks like the coolest fkn thing ever.. made a poor decision and purchased the ninebot one c+ because i was too cheap and very much doubted i would ever be really into it... needless to say, i most certainly was incorrect in my assumption and almost two years later i still think it is the coolest thing ever and there has been maybe three days since the day i got a unicycle that i havent ridden.. i think in about the month before i upgraded to a kingsong 16s i had put just over 1000 km on the ninebot, i was charging it twice a day almost every day lol. now i have currently 5 unicycles that i use on a regular basis and have had i believe 11 over the past two years. however, sadly, i still have yet to see anyone in my city riding one before and have been unable to convince anyone to take it up (though i have taught a few friends to ride and theyve come with me on mine before).

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

That's actually cool that it's a Chinese cultural tradition! Never heard of it. Too bad the police don't like it.

It's quite normal esperically in the old times. At that time, the internet and the way we did promotion was not as mature as we do now. I can still remember the story when I was a child. Groups of middle-age woman will hit the road and play the drums in a very special costume. (Red means lucky in China)

Here is a picture celebrating the opening of a real estate.

timg?image&quality=80&size=b9999_10000&sec=1547803656276&di=9b752aba407042a3ebe19c8821c14fe6&imgtype=0&src=http%3A%2F%2Fsrc.house.sina.com.cn%2Fimp%2Fimp%2Fdeal%2F09%2F2c%2F6%2Fafd9b65b5f07e75bbf4edc99b3c_p1_mk1.jpg

Back on the track, that way of promotion for unicycle(housejob shared before) is not that bad. The oringal purpose to get more sales and more people to know about unicycle. But it's not gonna spread widely. 

I think many of you are very spot on about proper marketing of these wheels in my opinion. If Ninebot or most importantly with huge brand recognition in the West, Segway went with a big marketing campaign for their One Z models in the US, then I truly believe you would see a lot of interest from more people. It just simply looks the part.

If you look at the Z10 from a purely aesthetic stand point, it is LIGHT YEARS ahead of any other EUC and it's not even close. If you remove brand bias that many of you have you would openly admit that without question. Most people do not want to spend hard earned money on something ugly. Especially if that something is nearly or over $2000 and that person is still youthful. I saw the infamous @houseofjob / Tishawn Z10 review and now I am here with you all as a result. I will openly admit to you all that I most likely would've never bought an EUC if not for that video and the look of the Z10.  Many longtime diehards seem to openly resent the Z10 just over the fact their favored brand doesn't garner that attention that the Z series does and the attention the Z gets on the front end is largely due to the fact it looks really cool.

1 hour ago, EUCMania said:

Where do they find so many EUC riders?

Apparently part of the talent were circus folk who already rode, and the other were dancers who were given a few weeks to learn for the job.

3 hours ago, Girth Brooks said:

I think many of you are very spot on about proper marketing of these wheels in my opinion. If Ninebot or most importantly with huge brand recognition in the West, Segway went with a big marketing campaign for their One Z models in the US, then I truly believe you would see a lot of interest from more people. It just simply looks the part.

If you look at the Z10 from a purely aesthetic stand point, it is LIGHT YEARS ahead of any other EUC and it's not even close. If you remove brand bias that many of you have you would openly admit that without question. Most people do not want to spend hard earned money on something ugly. Especially if that something is nearly or over $2000 and that person is still youthful. I saw the infamous @houseofjob / Tishawn Z10 review and now I am here with you all as a result. I will openly admit to you all that I most likely would've never bought an EUC if not for that video and the look of the Z10.  Many longtime diehards seem to openly resent the Z10 just over the fact their favored brand doesn't garner that attention that the Z series does and the attention the Z gets on the front end is largely due to the fact it looks really cool.

The Z10 is nicely designed, and I certainly loved my. But it is a poorly positioned, supported and marketed product. 

For more public interest we need a sub $1000 wheel that is well built, reliable and more importantly design to fit an urban lifestyle, since that's where the market and most compelling use case are.

It needs low speed stability so it is easier to learn, water and weather proof, light, portable and discreet, since if we want the masses to fall in love, it'll have to be so beautifully design that people will want to knock you over and take it from you.

It'll also have to be smartly marketed, presented and positioned in just the right way. I don't think the segway brand is viable since people now associate tour groups and failed technology with that name.

3 hours ago, Hsiang said:

The Z10 is nicely designed, and I certainly loved my. But it is a poorly positioned, supported and marketed product. 

For more public interest we need a sub $1000 wheel that is well built, reliable and more importantly design to fit an urban lifestyle, since that's where the market and most compelling use case are.

It needs low speed stability so it is easier to learn, water and weather proof, light, portable and discreet, since if we want the masses to fall in love, it'll have to be so beautifully design that people will want to knock you over and take it from you.

It'll also have to be smartly marketed, presented and positioned in just the right way. I don't think the segway brand is viable since people now associate tour groups and failed technology with that name.

Yes, I agree with the design point. It's the Apple model, most people want desirable looking design, then they can appreciate the practicalities afterwards, not the other way around.

But with a product people don't know what to call, I believe Segway can be leveraged effectively to encapsulate the product, as despite that product's failings, everybody has heard of Segway, and the stigma around that brand can be re-purposed into a positive, just the way other brands like Netflix and Apple have had come back stories, when they were previously thought to be scrapped to the side.

1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

Yes, I agree with the design point. It's the Apple model, most people want desirable looking design, then they can appreciate the practicalities afterwards, not the other way around.

But with a product people don't know what to call, I believe Segway can be leveraged effectively to encapsulate the product, as despite that product's failings, everybody has heard of Segway, and the stigma around that brand can be re-purposed into a positive, just the way other brands like Netflix and Apple have had come back stories, when they were previously thought to be scrapped to the side.

“Segway One” is a ton more marketable than ninebot one. But like @Hsiang said, no one will think you’re cool if you say you’re riding a Segway because of that stigma conjuring images of Mall Cop.  

I came to this by accident, through YouTube (THANK YOU ALL WHO MAKE VIDEOS) while looking for a small electric scooter.

Where I work you have to park about a half mile away unless you show up hrs early. This posed an issue if you wanted to get lunch because half your lunch hr is spent walking to the car and looking for parking to walk back.  

A buddy had a Glion and I thought that would be great to keep in the trunk but I wanted a faster one. The Glion goes very slow up hill. 

I stumbled on a video of chooch hauling ass through the city....never thought about a scooter again. To have something with that much speed and range in such a small package amazed the hell outta me. I started watching how to ride videos and watched Duf go from "this dude needs to give up" to having multiple wheels and riding very well. I had to give this a try!

Bought a freeman 132wh wheel for $150 brand new. Pretty much half rode it right away, half the time it went where I wanted half the time I was reacting to where it was taking me, but after a few days I tossed in the trunk and used it for my half mile solution. I still remember using my car as support to get on the wheel. 

Within a week I knew this wasnt just going to be a tool for getting to work from the car so I ordered my first real wheel,  the 16s. Now I didnt even need the car for work anymore, I only commute 3 miles and without the stupid parking situation it is faster to take the wheel. 

My dad and I have always rode motorcycles together for the last 30 years, sometimes cowsuit stupidity in the canyons, sometimes taking trips, it's what we both love to do. He is at an age where taking trips and cruising the beach are fine but no more track days or canyon carving. Too risky at 68. EUCs have brought back the thrills at a much safer speed, we speak of injuries not funerals,  and I will be forever thankful to everyone here for playing a part getting another early adopting partial wierdo hooked! 

I dont care what anyone thinks, we're about the "coolest" bunch of people I've ever been associated with :cheers:

My team was having a meeting outside downtown in a park/communal/coffee-shop area and a mate mentioned seeing someone on an electric unicycle.  I didn't see the rider, but the phrase "electric unicycle" stuck in my head.  Later that night, I googled it, found a YouTube video of the InMotion V8, and became obsessed.  After about 3 or 4 months of research and obsession, I got my first wheel :wub:

I often ride around downtown through parks, main street areas, and on a very long multi-use trail.  As for looking "cool"...I don't wear a lot of the "modern" looking stuff I see on videos...these days (especially  when the weather got cooler), I look more like a dusty hobo from a dystopian future.  To tell you the truth, I feel kinda dorky riding the wheel, but people are impressed; I haven't heard a single negative comment since riding since July 2018.  When I ride by people that seem/sound impressed, I'll do a few nice carves (because I think that's one of the best feelings/coolest looking things we can do).  Some kids seem wowed by going off curbs.  God, I love this shit :clap3:

To make EUC widely adapted, university campuses around the world are a must-have starting point. a few days ago, @Jason McNeiltalked about asking KS to comeup a design for air travelers. Instead, I would say make one for college students is a better direction to explore.

This is a topic by itself. So I will open a new topic in General section.

4 hours ago, Girth Brooks said:

@Flying W these EUCs are definitely safer than ripping it through all the curvy, hilly backroads here in Tennessee on a motorcycle! I'm a motorcycle to EUC convert myself.

Your in dragon country! But you right, much much safer. I am still planning on a track day before the weather gets too hot, haven't been on a track since before track days when you had to just enter a race to get any track time. 

Recently made the switch from sport bikes to a naked. Triumph Daytona was my last true sport bike, I traded it for the 765RS, much more comfortable and equally as capable. As fun as sport bikes are age (more old injuries, I've met plenty of people older than me who are in better condition) and metal parts in my shoulder didnt care for the riding position anymore.

I do find myself enjoying getting low and to the inside of the EUC around fast corners, if it slips I'm already almost on the ground haha. 

7 hours ago, Girth Brooks said:

@Flying W these EUCs are definitely safer than ripping it through all the curvy, hilly backroads here in Tennessee on a motorcycle! I'm a motorcycle to EUC convert myself.

Being a motorcycle admirer/enthusiast still now I had lot of near death experience those days I was riding BMW´s and Harleys thus beeing a defensive driver. The density of idiots is just to high in nowadays traffic and you are really defenseless at all. I dropped all activity several years ago and was going to accept that I´m not immortal as I felt in my younger days. Although I was released from those demons something inside me refused to accept that it´s all over now. But how to get on?

Warping to early 2018 - somebody in my community was talking about hoverboards occasionaly. Beeing aware that there is some relation to Segway technology I was not really impressed much. But some day I searched given topic on Youtube for curiousity....

You might know how this story ends :). Just clicking on a Youtube EUC link had a huge impact on me and in some relations changed my life. I was blown away by an experience never seen before but somehow reachable for an average guy like me. Beeing unique without a poser attitude regardless of your age hit my deserve perfectly. Starting with a NB1E+ I outgrew this wheel with ongoing progress after 1000km/620 mls. Since one week I´m a happy Z10 owner but restricted by current weather conditions in here. But maybe my MC equipment could come in handy again...

I´m so happy I did not end up with a red convertible like other guys of my age. My desired license plate: 8N2L8 :rolleyes:

Archived