Where does EUC adoption come from?

Terenig

35 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

The e-boarders who were open enough to try, learn, and buy EUCs, are usually the ones looking for more practicalities that e-boards cannot give them, like a.) the ability to ride in the rain, b.) the obvious bigger range, c.) the compactness factor, ie. not having to struggle to stow away a long a** board at your destination, and d.) the less sketchiness of rolling over crap streets on a much, much bigger tire. I've also seen the same justification from some e-kick scooter converts as well.

:D Life made them okay with being "less cool" :D

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

EUC companies often largely rely on grass roots social media marketing. Involving enthusiasts like us making videos about our experience. There are far marketing dollars behind these other devices. Even in larger companies with bigger budgets marketing pushes are not really allocated for EUCs because they are a small portion of the business. 

Actually, this was the first year I've really seen any proper marketing attempted at all for EUC, with InMotion USA's marketing push, and eWheels' demo rounds.

Before that, EUC marketing IMHO has never existed! :lol:

All you talking about how uncool you are might need to consider its just you.. :ph34r: Im super frickin cool, always have been. B) The kids say im Chill AF which im lead to believe is a good thing..  :eff00eab1e:

Real talk.. I think its just most of you are riding uncool wheels, you need to get the z10, its super cool, after all, its what i ride..  And the kids, they love it, LOVE IT :thumbup: always want to know what it is :huh: and chase after me like a diabetic chasing insulin :eff034a94a:.  The esk8rs i ride with... they have seen that before, its meh now :sleep1:.  Cool is a state of mind, and a z10.  Get yours now! (emois help too)

3 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Actually, this was the first year I've really seen any proper marketing attempted at all for EUC, with InMotion USA's marketing push, and eWheels' demo rounds.

Before that, EUC marketing IMHO has never existed! :lol:

The video they made with the Braille skate guys was fucking awesome, watched it so many times now!

15 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

There was a Verizon commercial (I believe) where a typical geeky guy riding a EUC was the comic relief ... "we're here even for that guy" in some other terms, essentially. So much for the public perception they picked up on.

I guess riding a EUC with the standing still and leaning forward (seemingly) awkwardly with your hands down in a rigid stance does not look too cool and more like constipated superman to most people.

Yeah, the Verizon was not best for our image, although it was a great commercial.

But how about that warehouse commercial (Sweden maybe?) where they had EUC riders zooming around stocking shelves. That had a more positive tone I think.

1 minute ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

All you talking about how uncool you are might need to consider its just you.. :ph34r: Im super frickin cool, always have been. B) The kids say im Chill AF which im lead to believe is a good thing..  :eff00eab1e:

Real talk.. I think its just most of you are riding uncool wheels, you need to get the z10, its super cool, after all, its what i ride..  And the kids, they love it, LOVE IT :thumbup: always want to know what it is :huh: and chase after me like a diabetic chasing insulin :eff034a94a:.  The esk8rs i ride with... they have seen that before, its meh now :sleep1:.  Cool is a state of mind, and a z10.  Get yours now! (emois help too)

The video they made with the Braille skate guys was fucking awesome, watched it so many times now!

(Damn, ran out of rep, first time that's happened to me on here haha.)

No, I feel you, I'm plenty cool in my mind LOL, Z10 hi-five! :cheers:

But the masses, even the already-having-adopted-PEV masses, are often sheep/cattle, and need to see more visual evidence to want to copy themselves, as humans are ultimately imitators by nature.

21 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

There was a Verizon commercial (I believe) where a typical geeky guy riding a EUC was the comic relief ... "we're here even for that guy" in some other terms, essentially. So much for the public perception they picked up on.

I guess riding a EUC with the standing still and leaning forward (seemingly) awkwardly with your hands down in a rigid stance does not look too cool and more like constipated superman to most people.

Also, I think it was more about a guy in a suit and a helmet on the EUC, not the EUC itself. If they put me in that commercial with my current riding gear, I don't think (hope) that it would be for comic relief :unsure:

I feel awkward just standing there as well. Maybe we need to zig zag more like the NYC guys in their videos. They look cool. Unlike Marty and Duf, no offense I've probably watched your videos the most. And I find myself riding just like you guys. Maybe learning to do tricks would add to the cool factor as well but they are really difficult to learn.

2 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

It's not so much that they changed our image, just picked up on what people "naturally" think - geeky toy for strange people, apparently.

The other commercial was some UK home improvement chain.

24 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Also, I'm trying to take more cues from @houseofjob and using my arms a lot more when riding. Trying to avoid the constipated superman (great image) look <_<

Just now, Flyboy10 said:

I feel awkward just standing there as well. Maybe we need to zig zag more like the NYC guys in their videos. 

FYI, that's not all flash, it generates better and harder acceleration, like how speed skaters push off from foot to foot.

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Also, I think it was more about a guy in a suit and a helmet on the EUC, not the EUC itself. If they put me in that commercial with my current riding gear, I don't think (hope) that it would be for comic relief :unsure:

Yea, but they chose the combination EUC + geeky guy in a suit on purpose. Not a coincidence since they cast for specific roles.

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Also, I'm trying to take more cues from @houseofjob and using my arms a lot more when riding. Trying to avoid the constipated superman (great image) look <_<

LOL, there are only benefits IMHO to using your arms (active arms), just as we actively use poles for skiing:

• self-defense against face-planting (arms are at your face sooner)
  • better turning/carving, as our arms are ultimately connected to our hips, which are the maneuvering mechanism of our bodies, thus the wheel
  • helps pump the wheel side-to-side, creating better, harder accelerations (you'd be surprised how poor we are at stand-accelerating a wheel when you feel how much more power sit-accelerating an EUC has)

1 minute ago, houseofjob said:

(Damn, ran out of rep, first time that's happened to me on here haha.)

No, I feel you, I'm plenty cool in my mind LOL, Z10 hi-five! :cheers:

But the masses, even the already-having-adopted-PEV masses, are often sheep/cattle, and need to see more visual evidence to want to copy themselves, as humans are ultimately imitators by nature.

Your still cool, pigeon footed or not ;) 

No seriously though, that kid you and Tishawn ride past in one of the first z10 videos.. His jaw was on the ground.  He thought it was cool.  Infact, ive never met a kid or teenager, or cool dude (cool people can tell who else is cool naturally) who sent out an y negative vibes. 

All have been positive, many want to chat, girls want to make out so much its becoming a problem in my marriage, and im pretty sure there are 3 or 4 official fan clubs on facebook about the cool guy on the Wheel in town. B)

edit: forgot the emojis! :eff00eab1e::ph34r::eff034a94a:B)B)B)

4 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Love that commercial.

@houseofjob, do you maintain a database of images and videos :) You seem to be able to pull up items of interest at the drop of a hat.

2 minutes ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

Your still cool, pigeon footed or not ;) 

No seriously though, that kid you and Tishawn ride past in one of the first z10 videos.. His jaw was on the ground.  He thought it was cool.  Infact, ive never met a kid or teenager, or cool dude (cool people can tell who else is cool naturally) who sent out an y negative vibes. 

All have been positive, many want to chat, girls want to make out so much its becoming a problem in my marriage, and im pretty sure there are 3 or 4 official fan clubs on facebook about the cool guy on the Wheel in town. B)

edit: forgot the emojis! :eff00eab1e::ph34r::eff034a94a:B)B)B)

I'm bookmarking this to rep tomorrow :lol:

5 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Over the span of ten years the cost of batteries has dropped quite a bit, I think to 1/5 the cost, so wheels should be getting cheaper. And the technology is more mature so the cost should be getting lower. Instead, wheels are getting more expensive and the number of people who ride wheels doesn't see to be getting higher very quickly.

So what's happening?

1. The Chinese are taking our worthless dollars, with some inflation.

@Langhamp  Hi. From the perspective of a brand manufacturer, honestly, there are so much reasons why the price is getting higher.

Cost

For a customer, maybe the price is just about the number and the derserved service. But for a brand manufacturer, it's not just about the cost for empolyee including R&D, Sales, Accountants and etc. To launch a new product, sometimes, it needs one year to get ready.

Secondly, tax is also needed entering into the overseas market. About 20% tax for EU market, if the distributors want to earn some money, then it seems the only way is to raise up the price.

Then, certificates for the products is also one part of the cost. 

Service

For Chinese market, all the products enjoys one year warranty; For EU, it's  two years warranty. 

For Inmotion, We ships all the units and accessories  for the prodcuts need to be fixed to our distributors from time to time. And it takes time from China to the destination.

Archived