Ninebot One E+'s auctioned on Ebay -- any good?

rwent1

For a while now, I've seen "refurbished like new condition" Ninebot Ones being auctioned off on eBay, one or two every couple of days, that have been going for the low $200's. Anyone see any problem with these? Warrantied? Risky history?

I'm really tempted to pick one up either for my wife or daughter, but not sure if there's a catch that I'm not aware of.

Thanks!

Sold by whom? Ninebot/Segway? Third party seller?

I'd be worried about the state of the batteries. Not sure what else could be bad, especially if they are refurbished, so no other worries, but who knows for how long these batteries sat unattended.

For the price you could just try and hope for the best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rwent1 said:

For a while now, I've seen "refurbished like new condition" Ninebot Ones being auctioned off on eBay, one or two every couple of days, that have been going for the low $200's. Anyone see any problem with these? Warrantied? Risky history?

I'm really tempted to pick one up either for my wife or daughter, but not sure if there's a catch that I'm not aware of.

Thanks!

Personally, knowing the injuries that can occur from an EUC fall, I wouldn't subject my loved ones to a $200 wheel.

I'm speaking from the perspective of someone with EUC battle scars. 2-years ago my advice would have been different. I like to think that I've developed some EUC wisdom over the intervening years :mellow:  

There's a half dozen people in my life that I genuinely dislike, and a few that have threatened to kick my ass. Even those people I wouldn't gift them a refurbished Ninebot; that is too cruel.

• Like 1

I think NinebotUS liquidated a large number of E+s early last quarter, and these wheels are possibly returns, but I'm just speculating.

The seller (gsglobal) has 100% positive feedback (571) including 9 from E+ buyers in the past month and 3 more in the past 6. Still, I would ask the seller how many miles the wheel has, and I personally would not pay more than $200-250.

Another eBay seller was auctioning new/other (not refurbished) wheels in October and November in the $250-350 range + $50 shipping. I bought one of those wheels at the low end, and it was absolutely new and in perfect condition.

The E+ is the best beginner and all-purpose wheel in this price range (sub$400), and should last many years. My original one is nearly three years old, has over 5,000 miles, and is still going strong (including the original battery).

Edited by litewave
edited for sensitivity
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Just a follow up for anyone that might be interested. At first, this E+ wheel was a fantastic deal. The app attached immediately to it and updated the firmware with no trouble. My son rode it for several weekends while we explored the local trails and it worked flawlessly -- until we experienced a sudden cut-off. No beeps -- just cut-off. The battery was about 50% and he was going really slow over some bark mulch. It wouldn't power up until I connected the AC charger. It then worked great so we just presumed it was a fluke or that he was over leaning while going over the bark mulch and didn't hear the warning beeps. 

However, it did the exact same thing the next weekend and this was over pavement, about 14 mph, so he got a little bruised up. Again, it was around 50% left on the battery but at least it powered right back up (no need to connect the AC charger). We'd been riding constantly for about an hour so I'm guessing it might be heat related (both days, it was about 60 F).

So now, he doesn't trust it and now we're shopping for a replacement. 

An update: I've ridden it several times since these sudden shutoffs happened and I haven't been able to get it to do a random shutoff again. Granted, I've been riding pretty gingerly and I've let the wheel cool down after about 10 minutes of riding. No problems at all. I did notice that the core temp got up to about 125 degrees F.

Edited by rwent1
Update
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...