How do I silence the system beeps my 18XL?

Jens Ronnedal

9 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Why not just put a small waterproof toggle switch somewhere near the power button, in line with the buzzer? then you have the best of both worlds; 100% silent when you need to be discreet, and 100% loud when you need to hear it.

Yeah, I have to see how bad it really is. Might even combine switch and resistor or something like that. 

41 minutes ago, MacPara said:

Hmmm, my 18XL is on order and I meant it to become my main commuter wheel. Now, I'd hate this beep to tell everyone that I am getting ready to leave my cube, so I really don't want it to be screamingly loud. I might just add a resistor in-line with the piezo buzzer to calm it down to acceptable levels because I really want some leftover warning indicator without resorting to the stupid voice warnings. When I have figured out the range of resistor that works for me, I'll put together a video with volume samples and corresponding resistor values.

So your 18Xl is on the way?

Just asking: Have you experienced the beeps yourself until now? 

In my opinion the beeps are no big thing at all, cause the only one that really occures regularly is the ONE beep when you start the wheel.

Sure there are beeps when you do settings on the wheel...but i have to say that i personally dont set any things different on a daily basis. Not even on a weekly basis.

My point is that i seldom have had complaints over these “statement beeps”...to be honest not even once before this thread...so i wouldnt be to worried about this before it really bothers you in experiencing that on your own.

Just saying...

Competitors are all beeping, too. Sure, the Z10 has some “nice” R2D2 sounds....Taste is very personal. Some find that much better...some find that this is sounding like a child toy :D

7 hours ago, MacPara said:

Yeah, I have to see how bad it really is. Might even combine switch and resistor or something like that. 

I have my "beeps" set for 48 km/h... The problem is that, unless I have a 40+ km/h tail wind, I can't hear them at that speed anyway!

Seriously, it isn't an issue...

15 hours ago, MacPara said:

I might just add a resistor in-line with the piezo buzzer to calm it down to acceptable levels because I really want some leftover warning indicator without resorting to the stupid voice warnings.

Waterproof switch is very good idea. However I'm not sure if resistor in series will work, because buzzer used in KS-18 is equipped with internal sound generator. Resistor may cause the buzzer to make a ugly sounds instead of lowering its volume. But for sure it's worth to try :)

I appreciate the beeps for letting me know when the lift switch engages. I have found my lift switch to work pretty inconsistently (even after replacing it) so I pick up the handle multiple times until I hear the beep to let me know that it has actually engaged. 

• 4 weeks later...

So after trying out my 18XL I must admit that it is in fact less loud than my 14S. Pressing my Pebble select button to issue a beep is now completely useless as people don't hear me approaching. It was pretty effective on the ACM2 and also worked with the 14S but the 18XL is the most silent system beep so far. Nothing for me to do but to ride the wheel. That's how I like it!

12 hours ago, MacPara said:

So after trying out my 18XL I must admit that it is in fact less loud than my 14S. Pressing my Pebble select button to issue a beep is now completely useless as people don't hear me approaching. It was pretty effective on the ACM2 and also worked with the 14S but the 18XL is the most silent system beep so far. Nothing for me to do but to ride the wheel. That's how I like it!

If you change it from "beeps" to "voice" the horn is significantly different!!!

On 3/10/2019 at 12:38 AM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

If you change it from "beeps" to "voice" the horn is significantly different!!!

Hmmm, now I'm curious to find out. I just don't like the wheel babbling. I might have been conditioned from the KS14S where it would constantly tell me to slow down when hitting the last speed warning before tiltback. A constant serious of warning beeps was actually somewhat helpful as an automatic pedestrian warning beep. I guess I wouldn't encounter a speed warning with the 18xl too often, so maybe I'll leave it in voice mode if I like the horn. 

Edited by MacPara

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 7:02 AM, MacPara said:

Hmmm, now I'm curious to find out. I just don't like the wheel babbling. I might have been conditioned from the KS14S where it would constantly tell me to slow down when hitting the last speed warning before tiltback. A constant serious of warning beeps was actually somewhat helpful as an automatic pedestrian warning beep. I guess I wouldn't encounter a speed warning with the 18xl too often, so maybe I'll leave it in voice mode if I like the horn. 

I first tried it while sitting in a room, with the wheel 3 feet away from me...

Spoiler alert:

Spoiler

I damn near crapped myself!

NOW THAT IS AN EUC HORN!!!

• Like 1

100% agree with changing the bip feedback patern!!

all these bips in the office is a shame for other who works, 

an annoyance for neighbors when leaving at night from my flat in the lobby, same with the kids sleeping

How come Inmotion came up with these nice and fancy sounds and KS still carry sound feedback from the cellular world of the 90s? 

I event got this ugly sound: bluetooth is connected (who wants a wheel to shout to you that your audio connection is on in BT??) wether or not it's the case we don't care to get confirmation every single time we power up on a silly BT connection (not safety related). 

I even got a prompt to update to firmware 0,00 and at least 7 bips when connecting the app (no reason why)

There a strong lack of personalization in an app that is so unstable on my iPhone (bluetooth crashing, always in the background - have to force close the app). 

nice wheel but poor app for me. 

Thanks for the relaying our request US69 :-)

9 hours ago, Ednet92 said:

have to force close the app

You lucky. I have do deinstall it after use and reinstall if I want to use it. If I just force the app to close it will restart itself and two hours later my battery is dead.

yes I don't understand how they can release such an poor and unfinished work. sure dev cost money but they could go for third party dev cie and come up with something serious. In EU the wheel cost 2000 euros. that is SO desapointing from KS.  

Simple thing like the blinking light frequency. Who wants to be blinded by your own light (frequency to high) when you walk back in white wall loby, And any way to agressive flash for pedestrian. They just have to copy Cateye, Garmin or any light maker company to have the same pattern... 

Anyway.... 

On 3/15/2019 at 3:15 AM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I first tried it while sitting in a room, with the wheel 3 feet away from me...

Spoiler alert:

Reveal hidden contents

I damn near crapped myself!

NOW THAT IS AN EUC HORN!!!

Hm, on my last ride I tried to switch the horn in Wheellog to use the BT horn feature but all that did was emitting nothing when pressing my Pebble select button. I am using an older Wheellog version but I am wondering if there is something else one has to do before this would work (and blow me away).

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 10:09 AM, MacPara said:

Hm, on my last ride I tried to switch the horn in Wheellog to use the BT horn feature but all that did was emitting nothing when pressing my Pebble select button. I am using an older Wheellog version but I am wondering if there is something else one has to do before this would work (and blow me away).

Try it with the KS App first - to see if you like it... Then you will know whether it is worth getting the Pebble working properly.

• 6 months later...

As an update to my post here. I still get warnings through the speakers when I push the wheel too hard. I'm just rid of the notification beeps. It's just sad that you can't chose in the app to turn notifications on and off. Must be one of the easiest task for a programmer.

The other still always bugging me is that it doesn't matter how many times I turn the headlight off, it's still in the same mode when I turn my wheel back on. Should also be an easy programable feature to have the wheel remember which setting I had last and stick to it. In china automation might be what everyone want. But I like to be able to chose. Give us options, please!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...