How do I silence the system beeps my 18XL?

Jens Ronnedal

What ever I do with my 18XL the system speaker beeps. And it’s loud!

I turn it on *beep*

I turn the lights off *beep*

I turn the lights off *beep*

I connect the app *beep*

I walk whithin blutooth range while charging and the app is on so it connects *beep*

How do I turn all these totally unnessessary beeps off?

Don’t tell me that I have to tare my new wheel apart to disconnect the speaker. But I will if that is what it comes down to.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

From what I see in Kingsongs App for android you can't silence those beeps. What Darknessbot might be able to do I don't know.

Maybe @US69 know a secret way? I am not sure if I would call them totally unnecessary. It was a little annoying in the beginning but I go used to it pretty quickly.

12 hours ago, Siggy said:

As far as I know you can not turn off beeps :(

1) tape over speaker points x4

2) open and disconnect speakers  - if you dont use BT speakers

otherwise perhaps @US69 can chime in

There are 5 speakers. One of them is a system speaker (buzzer). It’s getting disconnected if no other sollution presents it self.

1 hour ago, Jens Ronnedal said:

There are 5 speakers. One of them is a system speaker (buzzer). It’s getting disconnected if no other sollution presents it self.

This is what you’d want to do. I’ve actually been meaning to do this to my KS14D since it beeps at max speed, which gets annoying as I’m always hitting it and I always feel like I’m also annoying everyone around me with it. All I need is the tiltback, thank you very much.

4 hours ago, Nick McCutcheon said:

This is what you’d want to do. I’ve actually been meaning to do this to my KS14D since it beeps at max speed, which gets annoying as I’m always hitting it and I always feel like I’m also annoying everyone around me with it. All I need is the tiltback, thank you very much.

I couldn’t agree more. I getting ready to disassemble my XL right now. I saw in a clip that it’s mounted on the right side of the wheel. Same sollution worked just great for my microwave owen. I don’t need alarms for 10 minutes telling me it’s done. Next up is my XL and then our dishwasher is next in line. Silence,..I kill you!

• Like 1

You just need to unplug buzzer cable from the controller PCB. Elegant and fully reversible operation. Remove both side covers then unscrew top cover and push it few centimeters up for easy access to the controller PCB:

DSC02924-2.thumb.jpg.864988b19efafc4f3777fa0c1986eff9.jpg

REMEMBER - by disconnecting buzzer you are making your King Song a Gotway wheel. It's an important safety feature. Tiltback alone is not enough. Consider turning on voice prompts after you disconnect buzzer.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Seba said:

You just need to unplug buzzer cable from the controller PCB. Elegant and fully reversible operation. Remove both side covers then unscrew top cover and push it few centimeters up for easy access to the controller PCB:

DSC02924-2.thumb.jpg.864988b19efafc4f3777fa0c1986eff9.jpg

REMEMBER - by disconnecting buzzer you are making your King Song a Gotway wheel. It's an important safety feature. Tiltback alone is not enough. Consider turning on voice prompts after you disconnect buzzer.

Thanks! I've disconnected it. I'm totally aware of the consequences of not having the beeps. I will probably connect it as soon as Kingsong will add a feature to only have beeps as warnings and not notifications.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Jens Ronnedal said:

Ahh yes, my mistake you're totally right.

I remember now when checking the mobo I was still getting beeps - even though the speakers were disconnected. It was the last pesky speaker

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2019 at 3:56 PM, Jens Ronnedal said:

Thanks! I've disconnected it. I'm totally aware of the consequences of not having the beeps. I will probably connect it as soon as Kingsong will add a feature to only have beeps as warnings and not notifications.

Yes, the way shown is the only way to get rid of any comfirmation beeps!

I also HIGHLY recommend to switch to voice announcements, as otherwise there are no highspeed, overvoltage, undervoltage warnings!

To ask to get rid of any confirmation beeps...is the first time i hear that, i have to say. I understand that they are “not that nice”...but i guess these will not be turned off in general. Yeah, perhaps as an option, but in general they need to stay as “feedback” from the wheel, also to ensure that the beeper will work at all. (for those that rely on speed beep warnings and otherwise would not recognize that the beeper might be dead). At least thats my opinion about the beeps. As i just hear them when starting or setting some parmeters on the wheel, my guess still is that thats ok...

But Ok: i will ask KS for an “option”....

@US69 I can give you an example of when you want to turn off notifications. 

Lets say you have small kids or a wife sleeping, you don't need those notification as you walk about in the house or apartment or in an office while charging it. You will still like to habe an eye on how charging progress, so turning of BT connection is not an option.

Now speaking of change I wish I could have and option for taillight as always on (maybe at 80%). Maybe bighter (like at 100%, prefered)or flashing upon breaking. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Unventor said:

@US69 I can give you an example of when you want to turn off notifications. 

Lets say you have small kids or a wife sleeping, you don't need those notification as you walk about in the house or apartment or in an office while charging it. You will still like to habe an eye on how charging progress, so turning of BT connection is not an option.

Now speaking of change I wish I could have and option for taillight as always on (maybe at 80%). Maybe bighter (like at 100%, prefered)or flashing upon breaking. 

Gotcha :-)

Yes, i would sometimes like to have it more quiet, to!

I promise i will try my best for the mentioned new options, but let me be totally honest: 

I dont know if priorities and capacities are there for it....

• Like 1

On 1/19/2019 at 12:46 PM, Seba said:

The problem with turning on voice prompts is now he has traded unwanted beeps for unwanted voice commands, not everywhere, but "bluetooth connected", and "bluetooth disconnected" come to mind.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Smoother said:

The problem with turning on voice prompts is now he has traded unwanted beeps for unwanted voice commands, not everywhere, but "bluetooth connected", and "bluetooth disconnected" come to mind.

I was just a disclaimer ;)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, US69 said:

Yes, the way shown is the only way to get rid of any comfirmation beeps!

I also HIGHLY recommend to switch to voice announcements, as otherwise there are no highspeed, overvoltage, undervoltage warnings!

To ask to get rid of any confirmation beeps...is the first time i hear that, i have to say. I understand that they are “not that nice”...but i guess these will not be turned off in general. Yeah, perhaps as an option, but in general they need to stay as “feedback” from the wheel, also to ensure that the beeper will work at all. (for those that rely on speed beep warnings and otherwise would not recognize that the beeper might be dead). At least thats my opinion about the beeps. As i just hear them when starting or setting some parmeters on the wheel, my guess still is that thats ok...

But Ok: i will ask KS for an “option”....

Thanks a alot! Another thing that you could bring up is to get the firmware to remember the latest setting with the headlight. Everytime I turn it back on it's back to automatic and blinking. That's the only setting I never use. Either I want it turned off or on. Never automatic and never blinking. And if it could remember the setting I hade before turning it off, that would be great!

Thanks a alot! Another thing that you could bring up is to get the firmware to remember the latest setting with the headlight. Everytime I turn it back on it's back to automatic and blinking. That's the only setting I never use. Either I want it turned off or on. Never automatic and never blinking. And if it could remember the setting I hade before turning it off, that would be great!

You can disable blinking and this setting should be restored each time you power up your wheel. And just put a piece of black, opaque tape on the light sensor. It will be always on, both front and rear. Then you can press the power button momentarily to turn it off.

• Like 1

Like Seba said:

37 minutes ago, Seba said:

You can disable blinking and this setting should be restored each time you power up your wheel. 

The Standard Setting is Automatic, but normal light mode, not blinking.

I suspect that in your app under LED/Light blinking is enabled. So just try to Change it there, please.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Seba said:

I was just a disclaimer ;)

I can imagine that these messages could be replaced with another uploaded sound - some "ping". As ninebot Z.. can change sound bank.

BTW their sounds are much more pleasant then this strong buzzer beep only for everything. 

4 minutes ago, jitesar said:

. As ninebot Z.. can change sound bank.

BTW their sounds are much more pleasant then this strong buzzer beep only for everything.  

Yip...they are, agreed! But thats it then with technical Advantages the 9b Z10 has   :laughbounce2:

3 minutes ago, US69 said:

Yip...they are, agreed! But thats it then with technical Advantages the 9b Z10 has   :laughbounce2:

I have both :-) so not fighting against KS or 9b :-) I like both. Just I say, if it is possible there why not push it in the FW. I think it is only minor piece in all SW part.

22 minutes ago, jitesar said:

I have both :-) so not fighting against KS or 9b :-) I like both. Just I say, if it is possible there why not push it in the FW.

I think it is only minor piece in all SW part.

I am also not interested in Bashing...absolutly not...i have had 10wheels now from different Brands and i loved them all :-)

Was just a joke ;-)

For this update: Perhaps a bit more comlicated as you think, as Beeps run over the Beeper module and all other sounds over the Speakers.

And as there is a  allready a switch between voice/Speaker and Beeps for warnings...it might be not that easy to implement a Special exception for some Special tones/Statement beeps.

Then the Question Comes up how to handle this "Statement" Beeps, how the switch handles those….what are "useless" Statement Beeps, and which are not that useless.

And also: Perhaps other users have totally different opinions about These Statement Beeps and in the End it is quite hard to make everybody happy.

Good example perhaps are the LED battery meter Lights, which allways have been ON when Wheel is powered (until 3 months ago)...….

Some users have allways wished to have them off, allways off, as they only use the app and want to see exact percentage.

So KS put them OFF...and you only can see them now when you put the LED ring to ON. 

This move then made several other People unhappy….which then asked to make battery meter LED =OFF as a completly  new LED mode then.

Possible? Sure, but then this Needs new modes, Needs new app Version, another Firmware version, adapting for Non LED EUC's etc etc etc.

Just as an example….

16 hours ago, US69 said:

Gotcha :-)

Yes, i would sometimes like to have it more quiet, to!

I promise i will try my best for the mentioned new options, but let me be totally honest: 

I dont know if priorities and capacities are there for it....

Thank you for feeding this forward. What Kingsong choose to do that is a different matter, I fully understand that. 200 customers tend to have 220 opinion... 

I hope that this is obviously apply to KS18L and KS18XL (due to thread and my signature).

• Like 1

Hmmm, my 18XL is on order and I meant it to become my main commuter wheel. Now, I'd hate this beep to tell everyone that I am getting ready to leave my cube, so I really don't want it to be screamingly loud. I might just add a resistor in-line with the piezo buzzer to calm it down to acceptable levels because I really want some leftover warning indicator without resorting to the stupid voice warnings. When I have figured out the range of resistor that works for me, I'll put together a video with volume samples and corresponding resistor values.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MacPara said:

Hmmm, my 18XL is on order and I meant it to become my main commuter wheel. Now, I'd hate this beep to tell everyone that I am getting ready to leave my cube, so I really don't want it to be screamingly loud. I might just add a resistor in-line with the piezo buzzer to calm it down to acceptable levels because I really want some leftover warning indicator without resorting to the stupid voice warnings. When I have figured out the range of resistor that works for me, I'll put together a video with volume samples and corresponding resistor values.

Why not just put a small waterproof toggle switch somewhere near the power button, in line with the buzzer? then you have the best of both worlds; 100% silent when you need to be discreet, and 100% loud when you need to hear it.